NORTH COAST discussion and questions...

Hurricane Hugo was a major disaster in 1989 ST. Croix had a direct hit by it as a Category 4, it was reported by Wiki that " A storm surge of 2–3 ft (0.61–0.91 m), topped by battering waves 20–23 ft (6.1–7.0 m) high, assaulted the coast, adding to the destruction. Two people were killed on St. Croix, 80 injured, and 90% of the buildings were damaged or destroyed. Damage estimates for St. Croix were astronomical, over $1 billion, and the island's entire infrastructure was virtually wiped out. Six weeks after the hurricane, only 25% of the public roads had been cleared, and only 25% of the island had power.". 

Hurricanes can disrupt the best laid plans,  mosquito control was likely way down on their list of priorities but should be part of a personal disaster plan.  I remember Hurricane Flora in 1963 which although it hit the DR and Cuba, it stalled over Cuba for 3 days and its rains did a lot of damage in Jamaica - landslides washed out the road to home and it took several months before it was fixed.  A second encounter with a near-hurricane was Tropical Storm Gilda in 1973, we were in a different house at the time, it was flooded by storm water from the rains.

I lived on St Croix for 20 years.  Hugo ended up being declared a cat 5. An electric anemometer at Hess blew out at 225 mph.  A NOAA station at Salt River registered a barometric reading of 25". I was there & I  know.  I've been in 7 storms, but that one is the only one I'll ever call a "HURRICANE".  Sometime I'll tell the story of that night & the ensuing months.  The Gov says only 2 deaths, I saw many more than that on the streets & being put into mass graves.  One instance was the collapse of the school gym 's block wall coming down & burying people sheltered there.   Several barrios were bull dozed to cover up the stench of death.  Enough for now.  There were stories of bravery too.

AGAIN  years of experience tells the story.  You can use what ever you want and deal with the consequences!  SIMPLE

after having dengue  it is really STRANGE you would not do whatever is needed to avoid it.

I have to agree with Planner.  If you want the best chances of avoiding a mosquito born infection then use DEET.  If you wan to experiment with something else then go for it but your risk most likely will be increased.  Me when it comes to health, happiness and prosperity I will go with the odds.

Bob K

Here's an interesting article on why mosquitoes seem to bite some people more:

http://theconversation.com/health-check … more-36425

I do & don't get bitten.  For me it works.  Nuff Said!

For using it    over 24 years it is no longer an experiment.

Read the article.........  here comes the deet !  I'm probably one of those who don't react to the bites.  Thank you for the edification.   You very well could be a life saver !!

Interesting article.  Thank you

See another reason not to take exercise seriously :D:D:D:D:D

Bob K

Thank you Bob.......LOL

Be sure to tell your heart that, Bob.   It will welcome a chance to rest, forever!