NORTH COAST discussion and questions...

Yucca fritters are easy to make, easy to cook and soooo easy to eat :D

Bob K

The stupidity of local government shines through once again.

It seems the city council (made up of 6 business owner) has circulated a petition over the last 6 months (many of the businesses and people who have signed it are not longer here) to reopen the main street (2 block stretch) Pedro Clisante again to traffic. For the last 6 months this has been closed to traffic from 7PM or so to 6AM. This is such a GIANT step backwards for the community.  With the street closed the restaurants set up tables in the street, there was live music 2-3 times a week in the street, special events, movies, craft fares and such in the street.  The place was usually packed on Friday and Saturday night and good crowds on other night. 

The mayor has been noticeably absent in this change of events and has done nothing to stop this.  So now you can dine/drink/socialize with the roar of motos and cars, car sound systems and the lovely aroma of exhaust fumes instead.  Such an improvement....NOT

I was somewhat surprised by some of the folks who did sign.  Some stated they were lied to as to the meaning of what they were signing.  Regardless there are some establishments like the Jolly Rodger, Albertos, Camera shop, that I nor our friends will NO LONGER visit.  Too bad.  It is a sad day here on the north coast.  And does demonstrate that with all the talk of wanting to increase tourism, community feel and strengthen Sosua it was all really HOT air and the mayor and council really did not want to change a thing.  My hat is off to you :(:(:(

Bob K

Do you think the local business owners who signed that thought they were losing trafic due to the impossibility to park cars directly in front of their shops?

It's sad for the terraces and public animation. And yes motos and sound systems are incredibly loud here. I don't even understand how someone can possibly drive a car with 8 gigantic speakers fitted in the back, blasting music louder than a first-generation Boeing 727 taking off.

Bob K for mayor!

Actually not sure what they were thinking.  Much more foot traffic passing by with the street closed.

Bob K

Oh and no mayor thing for me.

Bob K

I am from the USA. Had a local lawyer prepare papers for a cedula last July. Paid $1500 US. Have not received yet as he says a new Minister changed the rules. Says need to be 'naturalized' first (whatever that means), or something like that. Says to do in DR, costs another $2000!  Says can do in USA but does not know anything about USA processes. Other than the obvious of not paying $2000, any information out there from others that can be shared? Probably of interest to many...

Hi, Bob. David Smith suggested I contact you about an issue I was having getting my cedula.  I posted the question on this site a few minutes ago.  Any help or insight would be much appreciated.  Cheers,
Charles

Chas first off welcome to the forum.

If you submitted your papers in July you should have your residency already.  Not sure what your lawyer is doing but it does not sound good.  You may need to contact a new lawyer if this one cannot explain the situation to you.

The new rules he may be talking about have been in place for quite a while now.

Sorry I could  not offer better news for you

Bob K

Are they the same owners of thr jolly roger as before the fire?     Ignorance is not solely the province of the politicians.   Maybe they just want to go to sleep early or maybe they are jealous of the businesses that are garnering the $$ because they , themselves have naught to offer.   Que Tal?

Yes same owners for many years.

Bob K

Welcome Chas, you are being mislead. There has been no changes since you filed, no new minister. Do not give this person more money.  Get copies of everything done and filed to date and get another opinion.  Wilson Rood is in Santo Domingo and can help you. [email protected]

I am not sure who or where the person you are working with is but If you want I can recommend someone in Santiago who is terrific.  She has helped us, most of our clients and friends obtain their residencies.  She will hold your hand through the whole process and it usually takes a few months to accomplish. She is also very reasonable as to costs.  PM me if you want her contact info.

Bob K

I am looking for a Dentist in Puerto Plata.  Does anyone know of a good dentist and know about the prices.

Sorry the dentist I use is in Sosua

Bob K

Did your lawyer  at least give you a jar of Vasoline?

dentist in Purto Plata, Dr. Lepe.

I am also sorry to hear about the opening of Pedro Calisante to traffic. It doesn't make sense at all! When were there the whole street was packed with people eating and listening to music. Also doesn't make sense that any restaurant would want to end that! The Jolly Roger did have tables out as well so that is weird. 

i'm not familiar with politics in DR yet but maybe when the restaurants realize the money loss a new petition will be brought forth.

Canadian Sig wrote:

Does anyone have an opinion on this site/realtor?  It is the one we keep coming back to and I wondering if it is a good representation of the homes for sale in the area.

http://www.juanperdomo.com/

They tend to have a good deal of listings ..Alex and Anabel are a great Canadian couple that we have met on numerous occasions.They recently took a couple friends of ours out on a look-see!
We have been here 2 years and still renting! Love our area( Star  Hills & The Palms)..10-20 minutes from everything(Airport,Sosua Beach Puerto Plata) but very safe ,quiet and a great community.Huge community pool,tennis courts,gym clubhouse and restaurant.
Definitely try out an area.. 3-6 months to get a good "feel" for the area before making the big leap!!
Other than missing family ..grandkids..no regrets!!

ChasP wrote:

I am from the USA. Had a local lawyer prepare papers for a cedula last July. Paid $1500 US. Have not received yet as he says a new Minister changed the rules. Says need to be 'naturalized' first (whatever that means), or something like that. Says to do in DR, costs another $2000!  Says can do in USA but does not know anything about USA processes. Other than the obvious of not paying $2000, any information out there from others that can be shared? Probably of interest to many...

YIKES..I agree with BobK ..get whatever you can from him and ditch him!! Bob I believe is referring to the same lawyer he recommended for us and friends a few years back..She is fantastic and yes ..will walk you through things.We did have a glitch last year..not her fault..a Criminal Records check change (Migracion in SD) we had final submission in September 2014 and went to SD Feb 2 to pick up our Cedulas/Residency Cards!! WOOHOO..Finally..
Not sure if much difference in application req USA to Canada but I would not think so...keep us informed.Always interesting reading of others' experiences.

Glad your residency has worked out.  Dolly is a terrific person and works hard to get your "sutff" done.

We just renewed using her a couple of months ago.

Bob K

Bob, from what I have heard about Dolly she is one of the good ones!!!!

planner wrote:

Bob, from what I have heard about Dolly she is one of the good ones!!!!

Dolly is definitely one of the "good ones' and has an equally competent assistant in her sister Clara..who..I believe is studying law and following in big sisters footsteps! Clara met us in SD for the final steps..pics etc when we picked up our cards!
Highly recommend!!

Yes one of the good ones and HONEST. We have been using her for 12 years as well as our clients and friends.

Bob K

We meet a very nice husband and wife team Art and Sally Byrd. Sally was actually featured on a HGTV? program. My wife and Sally took a yoga class together, we dined at Natura Cabana and had a wonderful conversation on the beach about Condos. Look them up. Tell them Michael and Kim from Phila gave you the info.

Moterheadbeach welcome to the forum.  Are you living hrer now?

I know Sally and Arture for many years.

Bob K

Hi Bob,
Not living in the DR.
Recently returned from an awesome vacation there.
Met Sally and Art, and have started to bounce some questions off of them.
Sick of the cold Phila weather.
M

I can understand being sick of the cold and snow.  At our old house in colorado today it is 10 degrees and 2 feet of snow on the way.

There are lots of good follks on this forum so please feel free to ask any questoins you may have on the DR.

We have been living  here full time for 9 years now.

Bob K

Hi all. Its joseph. I live in ontario with my wife and 2 children aged 17 and 21. My wife and 21 year old daughter will be coming to the north coast of the dominican republic within the next 3 weeks. It would be very helpfull for them if they can possibly meet up with someone in the puerto plata, sosua, cabarete area. We are not sure where they will be staying but it will be in one of these places. They are coming for some relaxation but also to investigate on the possibility for all of us to live there. I am currently working but plan to retire in august. I am sure that you would have a lot of information that would help in areas of accomodation, safety, food etc. My daughter is a singer/songwriter who has just currently won best new artist of the year for niagara region and has original songs on i tunes. Maybe she can sing at the hotels. Also, my wife currently has a gift shop here in ontario selling artisan crafts. She also makes very nice and unique jewelry. Maybe she can do something there. In any case can you please inform us of a possible meet up. Thank you kindly.

Welcome to the fourm.  Depending on when and where they are I amight be around to meet.

Keep me posted on the plans.

Bob K

Boy have we had rain over the last couple of days.  Some places here locally nearly 10 inches and some of the rivers are over their banks causing some MAJOR flooding of roads and homes.  Many homes in the Sabanata area are under water and currentlly there are collections being orgaized to get these effectd folks some clothes, housing, furniture and food.  Some have lose everything.  Quite a mess

Bob K

Yeah Bob, ya got that right!
We were coming back from Samana around 6
last night. We saw major flooding all the way.
Apparently we got back to Cabrera just in time.
A bridge went out somewhere this side of Nagua.
They should dredge more rivers.
I'm sure all those shacks directly east of Nagua are gone.
Building on a flood plain is against the law in Canada.
Very sad indeed.

Wow, sorry to hear. We had  3 1/2 inches not far from here yesterday and overnight.  Looks like a bit more coming tonight.

Yikes.

Flood plains - do you know how many times people are relocated??? And they just keep going back and the government just keeps letting them.

Hola look up Agualina Hotel, Cabarete, D.R. *Kite Beach* on line. Small private, and safe, right on the beach. Reasonable rates. Your daughter indeed may be able to sing at some of the hotels or bar-lounges. Have her ask at Jose Oshay in Cabarete and-or Sinantras in Sosua. Cabarete can be a little nicer and more private than Sosua, fyi. Just my humble opinion. Bring dark glasses, plenty of sun -block and an umbrella in case it rains. Be prepared an enjoy. For real estate Century 21, Sosua, they are on-line, may be worth a look. Safe travels.

Thank you very much Bob. We will keep you posted.

When people choose to live in low areas or places with a history of flooding, they know what is sure to happen.  This country has a lot of high ground very close to the sea.  You don't have to live on the banks of rivers.   I was flooded in Sosua.  An adjoining property owner built a 6 ft wall that blocked any run off from an extra heavy rain storm.   He neglected to install drain holes in the wall.   The water rose so rapidly that by the time I had moved my big bike to safety,  the water was seat high in my car & above my knees in my 1st. floor apt.   Needless to say, I lost a lot,  2 TV'v computer, furniture, bed, many personal items.  The toilet & floor drains were like geysers.  A neighbor & I went into the storm with sledge hammers & destroyed portions of the wall.   Of course by the it was too late for the 6 1st. floor units.    With forethought we could have foreseen the potential for disaster.       A lesson to be aware of possible problems that can arise from the shadows of ignorance.     As I've said before, " there is no such thing as a mistake.... unless you repeat it ."  ( unfortunately this doesn't seem to apply to my spelling.  )

thank you very much clegalbap

Gypsy I have heard this type of story before!    Same results for some neighbor because the guy with the wall didn't think of anyone else..........   

We had an issue on the highway in the rain - places where the water does not drain and the road isn't  angled off properly,  in a heavy rain the water pooled in the middle! IN the dark you cannot see it and we hit it and spun out!  Luckily the driver knew how to handle it!

Road construcion is a whole other issue here. Seems they are either on engineered correctly or if done are done so poorly. 
As an example the new beatuiful highway between Nagua and Santo Domingo is one you cannot speed on or need to actually drive slowely in the rain as they did not bank the curves and turns  So at speed you tend ot slide off theraod and dring the rain hydro planing can very easily have you slidiing off the  road in the turns.
Many areas on the main road (jokingly called a highway) are so poorly engineered that they c ollect water all the time with very poor drainage.

Bob K

Wow and Dominicans drive fast all the time, no change for weather conditions..........dangerous.

Hello all I am looking for a company that drills wells, (AKA pozos) I live in Rio San Juan so they would need to be able to come here. I called one company in Puerta Plata but the price was ridiculously high based on what I was told is reasonable. Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Rich