Moving to Scotland

Hello, we are moving to Dundee Scotland or Angus area from Florida and i know the weather is cold but that's ok. My only concern is education for my girls, Does any of you know how can education could affect my children? I know education in Scotland is very good but i have not idea how the school system is there? My kids ages are 11 and 15. any experiences you could share?...Please advice?

Thank you,
GG

Hello GG,

You are right, the education in Scotland is really good and it is free. There is only one secondary school form today - the Highschool - where children get grouped in the main subjects such as maths and english with regard to their learning abilities.
Children here only have to attend a school until they are 16 so can leave the school after that. Usually all students stay in Highschool for 4 years / + 2, depending on their career wish.
You should look up the website for the curriculum for excellence:

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/the … xcellence/

The children get all books etc. provided. They only need to bring their PE things and pencils etc. to school.

Generally Scotland is a great place. Probably much colder than Florida but there is a lot to do and see. People are extremely open and friendly and the rich culture is all around you.

I hope this helps a wee bit :)

Ciorstain

Hello dear,
Can you tell me how's Dundee's lifestyle?  I'm a esl teacher and my husband is a machinery mechanic. Do you think that place would be suitable?
Thank you

hello Ciorstain,

Thank you very much. Definitely its a big help. Yes Florida its a lot warmer but we do have very cold days, sometimes its actually  colder than Scotland like last week we were around 2 Celsius and 4 and Scotland was around 5 but it doesn't last long. it goes back to 15 to 22 Celsius and probably that's what im going to miss in winter :) but I can handle the cold.

Thank you again and regards,
Gisela