Tricky To-Do List

Right now, there are some tough items on my todo list:

1) Buy a hammer (this is the least of my worries)
2) Buy plywood & 2x4's to build desks with (or hire someone to do same)
3) Buy panes of glass for "glassboards" (whiteboards that aren't white but instead clear sheets of glass) and get them mounted to walls
4) Buy inexpensive but decent 5.1 Computer speakers and mount them to walls
5) Buy 2 rolling chairs
6) Buy Trash cans

Does anyone know if there's a person/service/whatnot I can call to try and finish some of these todos on my behalf?  I've truly got no idea where to start.  Also, is there a "central" electronics market for phones/tablets/whathaveyou?  I still need to replace that which Mr. Banditonbike stole......

If you're not sure who or where to call, do you know where I can get a hammer?

Best, -Jake

Where do you live?, I live out whoop whoop, and I can find all that of that stuff up here, no problem, there are 10's of thousands of little tool/hardware type shops in VN.
Supermarkets sell Trash/rubbish Cans/bins, Electronics.
I found plywood, ( but not marine ply ), even alloy insulation foil, Gib board, etc, at shops that sell/made doors.
Shops that make/sell cabinets/woodrobes , aslo sell/cut glass/mirrors.
There are quite a few Electronic shop chains in VN, Voung Cong? Bach Khoa, these have websites as well.
A furniture shop, would be the best pace for rolling chairs.

Where in Vietnam are you?

For electronic stuffs, you can visit thegioididong.com and search for its store near you. If you are in Sai Gon, stop by Huynh Thuc Khang street, there are some stores there. also some stores sells second-hand electronics.

For other small stuffs and hammer, go to the market in your area, I am pretty sure they sell all of those stuffs in the market, just take some times to walk and find.

For chair and plywood, come to the interior decoration stores, it is easy to find :)

Best,

Thanh Binh, near the airport in HCMC.  I went on a 3 hour motorcycle odyssey last night questing after the hammer, and got nowhere with it.  Actually I have had this problem on a few occasions-- where I just can't find X Y or Z and it takes me like a solid half the day to finish something that should have taken 2 hours maximum. 

ANY tips, etc would be very greatly appreciated. 

Best,
-Jake

haha, you sound like a VN worker, " it takes me like a solid half the day to finish something that should have taken 2 hours maximum."

faddat wrote:

Thanh Binh, near the airport in HCMC.  I went on a 3 hour motorcycle odyssey last night questing after the hammer, and got nowhere with it.  Actually I have had this problem on a few occasions-- where I just can't find X Y or Z and it takes me like a solid half the day to finish something that should have taken 2 hours maximum. 

ANY tips, etc would be very greatly appreciated. 

Best,
-Jake

Hop on your motorbicycle and head to Nguyen Kim electronics on Tran Hung Dau St. in  D1.
Turn down Yersin St. and just explore around the blocks down to Nguyen Cong Tru St.
Not sure if the thieves market is still running. It's not far from Nguyen Kim.
It's all there in the daytime.
http://custommotoredbicycles.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/IMG_3613.189152935_std.jpg

Forget your Nguyen Kims, your name stores. Nguyen Kim sells grey market items - no warranty.

Everything you need is within a kilometre or two of LY THUONG KEIT @ NGUYEN CHI THANH.

Desks - make from stainless steel (Inox). These can be assembled/collapsed without tools. Table top is from fibre board. Stainless steel/Inox costs less than wood.

White Boards - polycarbonate sheeting. NGUYEN CHI THANH near LY THUONG KIET.

Computer speakers - NHAT TAO STREET @ LY THUONG KIET near 3 THANG 2 STREET

Office chairs - on NGUYEN THI MINH KHAI between TONG THAT TUNG and CMT8

Trash cans - CO-OP MART.

Hammer isn't needed - of you get Inox table or drill walls

PM me if you need more info or to borrow hammer and/or drill.

" .PM me if you need more info "
In other words , don't listen to all the idiots on this site , they know nothing, I am the great authority on everything, and everybody,  ( God has spoken ).

bluenz wrote:

In other words , don't listen to all the idiots on this site , they know nothing, I am the great authority on everything, and everybody,

I am surprised to hear that comment from you. It's not one I expect from a mature person.

You will notice there are only street locations. If the OP was interested I would supply all the detailed information which would totally meaningless to people who, like you, live out of town.

I would also caution the OP to NOT bargain the prices, especially with my business contacts, because they are not rip-off artists and the price they offer would be fair and not excessive. They are not run-of-the-mill retailers, they are professional wholesale dealers.

By giving him a PM I could emphasise this point.

I would also offer to lend him the tools he needs; I have two separate workshops down in HCM with all the power tools he would ever need. Why buy tools for a single job?

So if the OP is interested, send me a PM and I will replay and copy Bluenz so his ego remains intact.

Jaitch wrote:
bluenz wrote:

In other words , don't listen to all the idiots on this site , they know nothing, I am the great authority on everything, and everybody,

I am surprised to hear that comment from you. It's not one I expect from a mature person.

You will notice there are only street locations. If the OP was interested I would supply all the detailed information which would totally meaningless to people who, like you, live out of town.

I would also caution the OP to NOT bargain the prices, especially with my business contacts, because they are not rip-off artists and the price they offer would be fair and not excessive. They are not run-of-the-mill retailers, they are professional wholesale dealers.

I would also offer to lend him the tools he needs; I have two separate workshops down in HCM with all the power tools he would ever need. Why buy tools for a single job?

So if the OP is interested, send me a PM and I will replay and copy Bluenz so his ego remains intact.

That's very generous of you , I wish my neighbours would, take your advice re borrowing MY tools all the time, its never a single job with them.
I'm just posting on behalf of many on this site,  ( we also PM each other ), Its your ever condescending replies to many posts, and lack of sense of humour, that annoys people on here, just like you were on LIV, and look what happened to that???

Jaitch wrote:
bluenz wrote:

- Brush teeth

- Run 10 kilometers

- Help orphans and old people.

- Give Jockitch PMS over his selfish and self-seeking abuse of PM's.

Looks like I can scratch that one off my list!

Hi everybody,

Please avoid drifting off topic here, it will not help the initiator !

Thanks

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hi everybody,

Please avoid drifting off topic here, it will not help the initiator !

Thanks

Priscilla

I think this thread has already died a natural death.

Hello!
Calm down, big men! :)

To OP:
I assume you're living in TAN BINH (we don't have Thanh Binh, only BINH THANH, which's not near airport).

You can go to Cong Hoa Supermarket.
Here is it's address: http://www.maximark.com.vn/index.php?act=hethong
There are 2 of them at the same street. You can find most of every things you need there. They have hammers, trash cans.

For computer, sound systems for it or office furnitures, you can go to Bui Thi Xuan - Ton That Tung St., D1.
For furniture things you asked, you can go along Cong Hoa St. There are several shops that you can visit. They'll tell you where to buy chairs, glasses (ask them to stick them on the wall for you, remember to separate the price of glasses or service charge for doing that). It's good if you can ask one of your Vietnamese friend to come with you (not too young cause they don't know anything like check if the glasses/chairs are in good condition, etc., especially bargaining)

However, I suggest you to have a look at Classified Categories in this forum or go t www.craiglist.com to find what you need. In fact, you can buy all of your stuffs in some websites that sells used stuffs. Unfortunately they are in Vietnamese.

By the way, to other posters, I'm always smiling when reading your posts when they come to Vietnamese names, like streets's names. :)

Chill out, gentlemen!

Scarletvn wrote:

By the way, to other posters, I'm always smiling when reading your posts when they come to Vietnamese names, like streets's names. :)

Chill out, gentlemen!

I wish I could say the same about VN's pronouncuations, I cringe every time I hear chelve and ting, zey ,and zat.etc, etc, my favourites are , tree, and Turd. ( same as the Irish.)

But don't forget that the mosquito is an expert on cheese too.  ;)

Which reminds me, I fancy having a cheese and wine event sometime.

And as trick or treat night looms, I have made a list of tricks to play on unsuspecting kids.
1. Make some delicious looking toffee onions.
2. Make some chocolate dipped chili sweets.

I'm still looking for other ideas ......

eodmatt wrote:

But don't forget that the mosquito is an expert on cheese too.  ;)

Which reminds me, I fancy having a cheese and wine event sometime.

And as trick or treat night looms, I have made a list of tricks to play on unsuspecting kids.
1. Make some delicious looking toffee onions.
2. Make some chocolate dipped chili sweets.

I'm still looking for other ideas ......

Trick or treat,
My Father used to say to the kids, Ok, Trick, I'll close the door, and YOU disappear.

bluenz wrote:
Scarletvn wrote:

Chill out, gentlemen!

I wish I could say the same about VN's pronouncuations, I cringe every time I hear chelve and ting, zey ,and zat.etc, etc, my favourites are , tree, and Turd. ( same as the Irish.)

I hear ya! I seem to be blessed with interpreters who don't actually speak any known language. In Vung Tau, my long haired dictionary was a delightful lady, but her English was problematic. One day I asked her where I should take a visiting project manager for a few drinks. She responded by suggesting the "Booboonah cup" (Purple Night Club).

My wife told me last week that she wanted to go shopping to biksi (Big C).

My interpreter in Tra Vin told me that the obvious bomb craters that we were looking at were for fixracing (breeding fish).

But the best of all was my interpreter in Laos. We were in a small village doing a future task confirmation of needs and interviewing a village chief. At one stage, the village chief turned to me and said in schoolboy English whilst pointing at my interpreter, "does he speak English?"

I replied that he spoke English very badly, to which the Village chief replied "Him speak Lao language not good".

I must make a list of all the garbled words and expressions I get thrown at me. I shouldnt laugh really as my Vietspeak is very poor, but I am still learning and I dont profess to be an interpreter.

Some translations are hilarious, but our attempts at their languages must give them a laughs as well I'd imagine, sometimes I worry about what I have actually said to them, when you get a shocked response?????

One translation that sticks in my mind, was from a Japanese friend who was in NZ, we were preparing a meal, and she asked me if I had any " sea Chicken "? Had me completely baffled, but after rummaging around in the cupboard, she pulled a can of TUNA.