VN Ministry of Education and Training adopting TOEIC and TOEFL

The VietNam Ministry of Education and Training is adopting TOEIC and TOEFL standards for the country.

Until now the municipal Department of Home Affairs (DoHA) refused to accept TOEFL and TOEIC scores for applications for civil service exams in Ho Chi Minh City.

The HCM People's Committee sought clarification from the department following complaints by examination candidates. DoHA explained that TOEFL and TOEIC were Foreign qualifications whereas VietNam used A-to-C scaling.

Those applying for a civil service exam for employment in city public agencies are only required to add a Certificate of the VietNam's A-to-C scale to their applications.

Language experts remarked that the A-to-C Scale was dated. Now the Ministry of Education and Training is promoting a foreign language project where all English teachers should obtain foreign certificates.

The Ministry is also encouraging university and high school students to meet TOEIC and TOEFL certificate standards. Some universities and colleges have stipulated graduates achieve TOEIC with 450-550 scores.

The Ministry of Education and Training is planning to include English as compulsory subject to the graduation examination where those who have international TOEIC or TOELF certificates will be exempted from those parts of the examination.

My students report that it costs USD$30 to buy a Certificate from one testing authority in HCM.

' My students report that it costs USD$30 to buy a Certificate from one testing authority in HCM.'

Why even pay that, many VN Teachers are the biggest cheats of all

This is really stupid! Luckily, last year still I used my Toeic certificate for civil service exam in my university.

I hear that, it's only 300.000 VND to buy a Certificate (A-B-C).

Anyway, nowadays there are many Universities in Vietnam require students to have Toeic/Toefl/ Ielts ceritficate before they graduate. If they don't have the certificate, they will never get Bachelor's/Master's/PhD's degree. But, still having many universities don't require this. I wish they will do this soon. I really studied much English when I was forced to have Toeic certificate :D.