Self-recommending

hi all,
I'm thinking of quitting using this source as I see it becoming totally useless.
here's what I normally do here: I either ask or answer questions.
and here's what's going on when I post a question:
along come those 'VIPs' with useless general bla-bla-bla llike 'be careful', 'they will rip you off'', 'I don't know, try googling it' etc (sometimes they give false answers  just as well); and these 'answers' get a +1 to 'karma' immediately; after I ask to be more specific, it turns out they have no idea about the subject.
i.e., they see a question, they post a useless answer and give themselves '+1' from another account they created just for this: that's how they become VIPs here. during the last year this was the only type of answers I received here.
I'm not jealous for that 'karma' stuff, it's just so sad this site is not what I thought it was.

correct me if I'm wrong.

with all due respect to those who sharing their knowledge instead of wasting other's time for obtaining statuses.

Perhaps you could give examples, or just ask how many double basses there are in a country.
Your posting record is somewhat limited, posting only 64 times in two years, and many of the posts being of no value at all.
What do you expect?

I have a very nice example for you, mas fred:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 54#1714929

You're moaning because I missed one reply?
I may well miss a post, but that doesn't mean the whole forum is useless, just that I have a life away from the internet.

YuZ wrote:

correct me if I'm wrong..

Sorry to say, yes you are.

1. The idea of people using several accounts to +1 their posts is a "little bit" far fetched.
2. VIP status is given when you reach a number of posts. It has nothing to do with post likes.
3. These people kindly give FREE advice and share the experience they have acquired which is what the website is about.
Your level of trust is up to you but if they have been here for so long and reached this status, it is because they have been approved by the community.

Regards
Armand
Expat.com Team

look at the topic Armand, it is about self-recommending. you haven't written a word about it. but your reply is recommended. that's exactly what I was writing about.
and you are not sorry.

mas fred wrote:

You're moaning because I missed one reply?
I may well miss a post, but that doesn't mean the whole forum is useless, just that I have a life away from the internet.

moaning? aural hallucinations is a symptom of endogenous psychotic disorders.

YuZ wrote:

look at the topic Armand, it is about self-recommending. you haven't written a word about it. but your reply is recommended. that's exactly what I was writing about.
and you are not sorry.

Dude, as Mr Woodward says, the button doesn't appear in your own posts but does appear in your posts as every other forum member sees them.
If you want to open a second account to congratulate yourself, see a shrink first.

YuZ wrote:

[
moaning? aural hallucinations is a symptom of endogenous psychotic disorders.

I have oral hallucinations from time to time, but I assured most men do, at least in dreams.
Seriously, dude, you're having a dream here. Let it go.

Thankyou YuZ, wherever you are!

YuZ wrote:

I have a very nice example for you, mas fred:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 54#1714929

That's an example of useless advice?  Really?  It seems like decent advice to me.  Obviously, people should be careful, so maybe that's unnecessary, but if Indonesian driving is anything like Chinese driving, and Fred has assured me that it is, then anyone driving there really should be careful.

The karma thing is pretty pointless, but harmless.

Find activities and meet other expats

OR