Work Permit

Hi to you all,
I would appreciate your precious time if you could spare me few minutes. Thank you in advance.
I am an Australian-New Zealander.  allow me to share this with you. I ve travelling around the world and here I am in beautiful city Geneva right now.
I would love to live and work in Switzerland.  I would appreciate any assistance or info about the procédures I will need to take to get a work Permit.
I speak English, French. Any info will be appreciated.
Here s my E-mail address [email protected].

Best regards
Dj

Hey,

You will need to find a job first, then with the job contract you will ask for the permit. Depending on your contract (and canton laws), they will give you the permit (L or B) depending on the type of contract (temporary, undefined, long-term, etc). The law can be a bit different in Geneva canton (I'm in canton de Vaud), but it's impossble to get the permit without a job contract... unless you marry someone with a permit.

Luis

Hi Luis,

I must appreciate your quick reply. Thank you for your time.
I am wondering if it is any easier in Vaud Canton, down here in Geneva is a bit difficult.
Allow me to ask you please, do you have any idea about what kind of contract will I need.
Will a full time Hotel work contract will be enough to apply with. I mean will it works to get the a work permit...or this option maybe ONLY for professional people...
Frankly I would love to avoid the marriage option.

Thanks again Luis.

Best wishes

Dj

I don't know if it's easier in Vaud because I don't really know geneva, what I think is that geneva it's more "international", it has a lot of big international companies and organizations, where a lot of foreigners work.
In the winter it's probably easier in Valais Canton, in Hotels or ski resorts.

Any contract gives you the right to have a permit, what's more difficult is to find a company who makes you a contract even if you don't have the permit, cause a lot of them ask for the permit. They can do it but, if there are 2 people apllying for the position and the only difference is that one has permit and the other doesn't, probably they will choose the one who has it. I suggest you to search for any job, don't choose too much at the begining, it's hard to find something, at least here.

Check this link: ge.ch/etrangers-confederes/fr/sejour/welcome.asp?rubrique=titres-de-sejour-non-ue-aele
It says that in Geneva you can have the permit with a "séjour sans activité lucrative", so without working, which is really wierd I guess. You can also go to the comune where your house belongs and ask them. I know that in geneva these laws are a bit different, but I don't know what really changes.

Luis

Hello Dj,
In order to get a work permit you must
(1) Find a job. If you do not have a Swiss or European Union passport, your employer probably has to show that he cannot find anyone from Switzerland or the EU for the job. Ask the employer - he'll should know what to do and which documents are to be provided.
(2) Go to the city Administration and register yourself. Bring: passport, work contract, proof that your employer couldn't find a Swiss/EU person for the job, proof that you're living in the city (e.g. rental contract).
(3) The city will register you. They'll start the procedure for your work permit or provide you with the documents you need for starting the procedure yourself at the Migration Office (this differs from town to town and canton to canton)
(4) Health insurance is mandatory in Switzerland and you need to show proof of health insurance to the city within three months after registration.

Obtaining a permit to stay in Switzerland without working is possible - but in such cases, you need to provide proof of ample income / a filled bank account.