Foreign car questions again...

Guys, be patient.
I have a hard time sorting this topic out...
Ok, my wife are currently waiting on the e-residence card, while waiting we got a blue paper "Application for residence in Malta receipt".

My 30 days to register my Italian registered car start when I actually get the residence right?

I know there probably are info about this in bits and pieces around the forum, nonetheless I would appreciate if any of you had a minute to surmise the procedure to get the exemption for me. I know there are requirements, and as far as I could check, I fit as exemption-able: Car is on my name, is 11 years old and in my possession since 2010.
Where do I go register the car? And apply for exemption?
Will I be required to pay the taxes upfront and wait for refund? In this case I do not have the money to do that... can I get rid of the car then?

When and how and which about insurance??

Thank you very much.
P.S. I am Italian 36 y.o with wife and a child, would be very happy to meet somebody any evening or weekend for some company.

You need to go to TM in Floriana for the registration and exemption (you can download the forms online).

One thing to remember is that to claim exemption from the registration tax you will have to prove that you have resided outside of Malta  and owned the car for at least two years.
So if you bring the vehicle over and pretend you are a tourist for 6 months then decide to register the vehicle and start the residency procedure you will have to have proof that you were only a tourist for those six month!
They are very pedantic about this and require bank statements, household bills etc for every month covering the two year requirement.
You apply for the exemption and get a receipt that allows you to drive the vehicle until a decision is made.
If you have worked in Malta then you have a problem as you cannot be a tourist and work!

Plenty of information in this forum catagory , cars and transportation.

Terry

well i suppose you can be working "off the books" !!!!!!!

Thank you for your replies!
I do not start working until 17 November if everything will go fine. Fingers crossed.
I hope to get my residency before that date and then apply for exemption at the TM.
Like I said, I am pretty sure I cover all the requirements, but I won't be able most likely to provide utility bills and all that nonsense for the past 2 years. I have to wonder how does that even connect with being in possession of the car?

TY for the heads-up anyway!!

Hi I'm currently living this exact situation. We arrived in Malta on 16/10/14 & the car arrived in port yesterday. I'm paying the customs and collecting the car on Thursday. I have owned the car since new in 2005 and lived in UK all my life. I will be applying for tax exemption using a form called VEH07 - asks for strange things like maximum authorised mass, engine make and number but I'm working my way through it. I have UK insurance that covers me in Europe but when I have to change to maltese insurance I'm not sure. I guess until I get notified if the exemption claim is successful I'm still a tourist. Am about to start the application for ID card which should be fun. Nothing is ever straightforward in malta I've decided. Registered my daughter at Marsaxxlok to go to school in Marsascala because Marsascala won't register foreign nationals themselves!! What a palava lol 😝

Martok78 wrote:

Thank you for your replies!
I do not start working until 17 November if everything will go fine. Fingers crossed.
I hope to get my residency before that date and then apply for exemption at the TM.
Like I said, I am pretty sure I cover all the requirements, but I won't be able most likely to provide utility bills and all that nonsense for the past 2 years. I have to wonder how does that even connect with being in possession of the car?

TY for the heads-up anyway!!

You have to prove that you have lived outside of Malta for 2 years prior to your application for exemption.
The proof they require are utility bills, bank statements, rent agreement etc from a residence outside of Malta for 2 years prior to exemption application.

Terry

AlyDimmick wrote:

Hi I'm currently living this exact situation. We arrived in Malta on 16/10/14 & the car arrived in port yesterday. I'm paying the customs and collecting the car on Thursday. I have owned the car since new in 2005 and lived in UK all my life. I will be applying for tax exemption using a form called VEH07 - asks for strange things like maximum authorised mass, engine make and number but I'm working my way through it. I have UK insurance that covers me in Europe but when I have to change to maltese insurance I'm not sure. I guess until I get notified if the exemption claim is successful I'm still a tourist. Am about to start the application for ID card which should be fun. Nothing is ever straightforward in malta I've decided. Registered my daughter at Marsaxxlok to go to school in Marsascala because Marsascala won't register foreign nationals themselves!! What a palava lol 😝

This is a link to the form http://www.transport.gov.mt/admin/uploa … 082833.pdf

All it asks for regarding the vehicle is make, model  and year?

Terry

How strange - it pulled up complete different doc the other day but now when I click on it it's much simpler. Sorry for confusion 😳