Safest way to wash veggies/fruits in DR?

How do you safely wash raw veggies like salads?

The University of Nebraska, USA, suggests using 1 1/2 teaspoons bleach (5.25% sodium hypochlorite) in one gallon of water. Do not wash before storing. Rinse with safe drinking water (or bottled water) just before using. Clorox brand bleach contains 5.25% sodium hydrochlorite.

Super helpful, wjwoodward. Thanks so much.

From a Hamilton brat now in Brazil, anything to help a Toronto gal......... no problem  :lol:

You could also try 3 parts water to 1 part white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray veggies or fruit then wash off with potable water.

Used this a lot in the Pacific Islands when yachting there.

I fill sink with water, add vinegar, leave the fruits / veggies there for 10 minutes and rinse. This does not apply only for Dominican republic, but everywhere in the world. I did it in Canada as well. You would be surprised how dirty are the fruits in the stores in the first world countries, so many chemicals on the surface. Unless you buy them at the organic farms of course.

While vinegar and water is great for simply cleaning surface dirt from fruits and vegetables it does not kill bacteria, this is why bleach is recommended by universities and medical professionals. I certainly think I'd be much more concerned about ingesting harmful bacteria like E. Coli, salmonella, listeria and norovirus, than getting a bit of grit on my lettuce leaves. Vinegar will not kill them as effectively.

Yes, that is what I am looking for. An agent that kills microbes because I know home water is not safe in DR.

Do you really think that all these bacteria are on fruits and vegetables in Dominican Republic? How long do they survive on the surface? Looking on how Norovirus is spread it says: " .. Noroviruses are transmitted directly from person to person ... " Salmonella and E.coli might be in the cooked food as well, so bleach won't help for that.

Demi, you are correct, you can find dirty produce anywhere in the world. But my concern is killing harmful microbes. Unlike developed nations like Canada, home water in DR is not safe and not recommended for consumption. That is why I ask what's the safest way to wash uncooked produce for consumption. In addition, organically grown produce can contain virus and bacteria so I just want to be caution in a nation that does not distribute safe drinking water to the homes of its population.

I have been living here for almost 10 years now and use only vinegar to wash fruits and veggies, sometimes only water. The "quality" of tap water also depends on where exactly you live on this island. Of course we do not drink it, but in the area where we are, the water is not that bad as somewhere else :) Enjoy your stay in Dominican Republic.

Demi, I do not mean to offend you. I am trying to be clear with my question, that my concern is killing harmful microbes on produce and not wanting to wash them in contaminated water.

My wife uses the bleach method.  Me I just wash them with purified water.

Bob K

No worries, I don't get offended easily :)
I am like Bob K, wash and go. I guess the problem is more a different bacteria in the water than you are used to not a bad bacteria. If you see the water in the caves that is supplied to the resorts in our area (tap water) - crystal clear, pure, no chemicals, there is not a bad virus in it for sure. Where are you headed to lehmansa?

Thanks, Bob!

You are welcome

Bob K

I use grapefruit seed extract. We have been here 2 years and have not been sick. You can get it at Wholefoods or on amazon.com. I put it in clean water with the fruits and veggies. 5 or 6 drops to a gallon of water.

I just use water and vinegar too.  My body has adapted.....

having lived in puerto rico, the virgin islands & the d.r. for over 30 years, I just rinsed & ate. never a problem. then 4 years ago moved to central florida & promptly got the runs.  after a month or so, no more symptoms. your body can adapt if you let it.  the euns only lasted a few days, ate a lot of high fiber foods & it cleared up. do what you think is best, but remember that old saw, " we all all eat a peck of dirt before we die of old age".  I'm almost 75 & still going strong.  good luck & eat well!

Love your attitude gypsy401 and cannot agree more. The body does adjust

I have many Dominican friends and they all insist that the Clorox bleach method is the way to go. Demi I know you are just voicing your opinion but I would not talk any people from Canada or the US out of using this method just because you don't. You are probably immune to the microbes. Better that they rented in Clorox water then rinse the Clorox off with purified water and be sure that they don't ruin their vacation. Just my two cents. Have a great day

This is an old thread.

Well… Puerto Rico water is safe to drink. It is well treated and chlorinated directly from the processing plant. Trust me don't worry about any bacteria, virus or parasite with PR water. It's safe. On the other hand DR is a whole different story. We're talking about amebas, other bacterias and parasites. I had get infected more than once and I'm talking about massive, explosive, bloody diarrhea, fever, muscle pain and cramps, with DR water. Once I cooked pasta with tap water and it almost killed me. The other one I drink water from the tab after brushing my teeth as I normally do in PR. Two mistakes that I made in DR that almost killed me. So be sure to always chlorinate your water to clean your food.