6 months and still going strong...

I've just signed up to the forum so of course I got an email about how I can 'share my expat experience'. Looking at it, I thought why not? My Mum has been a member for a little while before we moved and I remember hearing about some awfully negative posts, I thought I could maybe introduce a little positivity into the works whilst still being totally truthful (I promise!).

So, background info...

I am a 21 year old female of a mixed ethnic background, back 'home' I would be classed as a minority and constantly told so but here I don't feel it as much. My mother is British, born and bred whereas my father is as Libyan as you can get. My entire family moved from the UK to Tripoli in May 2014 after a few years of preparation.

That said, I've been coming to Libya to visit my father's side of the family for all my life, almost every summer without fail since I was born. I've always been in love with this country, it was my second home filled with some of the best family I could ask for. Admittedly as a young child you tend to see the world wearing a set of blinders - through my rose tinted glasses, everyone had the best life ever going to the beach and going through life in a great, laid back kind of fashion. Obviously, I was wrong but of course, I still love my family.

So we moved in May, just in time for my cousin's wedding which was good fun. Soon enough Ramadan was right around the corner and we were busy getting ready for that. Then the fighting started. To put it simply, it was tough. Even up until the past few weeks it's been tough. I never thought I would move to a place with so much violence and still call it home. The constant noise of gunfire, rockets and all sorts was enough to give someone a mental breakdown but we got through it. And....this is the truth. I am better for it.

I've never felt so grateful to be here and to be alive. I feel maybe the fighting robbed me of the chance to do some things I was hoping to do - start university and whatnot, but it's seriously starting to look up and I'm going to try and grab whatever opportunity comes my way.

I realise I am at an advantage to some, having already gained an understanding of the country and its people to an extent, but knowing what I do, and going through what I have, I really do enjoy living here.

Maryam

Hi Maryam and welcome to the forum

Great first time post    :top:

Hello Maryam M H

Welcome to Expat.com

And just as Stumpy told you, GREAT first time post!

Looking forward to read you again  :top:

Best Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hey mariam,my name is abdulganniy though am not in libya recently but I'd soon be there before january...have heard 'bout the ongoing fight over there what makes so worry is that am travelling by road from nigeria,so i need an advice from ya cos am absolutely confused!!!

Hi Abdulganniy!
All I can tell you is that the fighting in Tripoli has calmed down a tremendous amount and people have been going about their business like they used to - pretty much life back to normal here. But honestly I can't say whether or not the roads from the South are the same story. I don't know for sure what goes on down there. The best thing to do would be to research where you can.
Everything is fine near the coast though :)

Hi Maryam

nice to meet you, i've been an expat in Libya for about 2 years and i really enjoyed it too, despite the threats of war and fightings. I really didn't like Zawia but Misurata and Tripoli were really nice for me and maybe one day i'll be back. It's interesting to hear another voice from Libya on this forum, unfortunately there aren't that many so i hope you keep giving us some news about your life there.
Also would you be interested in sharing your story through an interview for my blog (just click on website on the left under my name to find it)? I would love to have another perspective on Libya to share with my readers. Get in touch with me if that's something you'd like to do. You don't need any particular experience or anything...
Hope to read you again very soon
All the best in Libya

Wassalam

so the war ended....so stable is libya right now?

Hi Maryam,

I really enjoyed reading your post as well.  Like your mom, I am an expat wife of a Libyan national (who will inshAllah be the mom of a half Libyan half American baby next year).  You spoke briefly of not being accepted in the UK.  I'm not sure that our baby will have to go through in the US what you did in the UK but it is a concern he/she will have a hard time in Libya.  It would be really interesting if you could write more on how you have settled in to Libyan Life and what it was like growing up in a British Libyan family. I have wanted to live permanently in Libya and raise a family there for some time now but my husband, being a typical Libyan, thinks everything from schools, to medical care, to standard of living is much better in the US.  My husband and I are both mid-level professionals and were looking forward to making things better in Libya until everything and everyone went crazy. My husband comes from a large (5 bros and 4 sisters) family and I was really looking forward spending our lives together surrounded by family. I'm extremely interested in what your mom thinks of everything and the life there. Things are actually still pretty rough in our area which is near Janzour so I don't think we will be settling down there in the immediate future.  What a pity, I was looking forward to riding out the cold winter there.  Can you believe it has already snowed??? Ugh! Anyways, hope all continues to go well for you

@joe14 I wouldn't call it stable as I know there are still problems in certain areas but it's getting there inshallah and there have been drastic improvements.

@GISgirl Thank you and congratulations. I hope everything goes well for you in that regard inshallah.
I think what pushed us to move more than anything is the family. My Dad also comes from a big family with 8 siblings in total (just 1 less than your husband!) and we've always been close. Unfortunately, my Mum's family is the complete opposite - she only has one brother and we barely see him or my Grandparents. They didn't agree with my Mum when she reverted to Islam which was a huge barrier she had to overcome and something we still struggle with.
So in terms of the British side of my family, it may as well be non existent I'm sad to say which is what pushed us to move. We came to the point where we had no one to help us if we needed it and no extra emotional support in the UK and it really put everything else into perspective. Now I see my extended family all the time, at least 4 times a week in various places and I'm loving it!
I think when it comes to education and all the rest of it, it depends on your own circumstances. I had a great education alhamdulillah but I (and the rest of my family) realised that it's not the only important thing in life. My youngest brother is 6 years old and right now he's being schooled at home by my Mother because she wasn't happy with the way infants are taught here, but my youngest sister who's 12 is at an English school and so far is doing great. They use the same curriculum as in the UK. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're willing to be flexible, things will work out for you here, especially with a good family to help you out. Mine have gone well out of their way and beyond to help us out.
My Mum was actually the one who pushed my Dad to let us move! haha My Dad was also the typical Libyan saying let everyone finish school/University before moving and what about healthcare e.t.c but eventually he came round to the idea. At the end of the day, it's his home and his brothers and sisters - it becomes too hard to stay away.
Yes, Janzour has been pretty bad as of late but it's getting a lot better inshallah.
I've seen pictures of the snow haha I can't say I miss the cold!
Thank you for your well wishes

I don't know where in England you are from but we have had no problem where we are I have 2 teenagers and 2 grown up kids and me and the girl's have a fairly large family here but the family in libya is not large and not that helpful. Maybe it's just me my children are half English and half libyan they speak Arabic nd English and luckily read it too

@GISgirl, Congratulations!
May Allah make your pregnancy easy on you and bless you with a healthy baby.

@alynne228 like I said, it's just people's circumstances, we're just lucky to have a great family here alhamdulillah. We lived in Manchester but my Mother's family is from Desborough in Northhamptonshire.

thanks for the info mayriam

Hi Maryam

i've just read your post after around 2+ years, it reminds me of what happened that time in Libya... It was ramadan and the fights was really very tough, i still remember when we were praying we could feel the earth shaking from the missiles explosion, wish libya to really calm down again and we go back to build it.

but really I loved your way of writing and how you exposed what happened, more i loved is how you are tough standing and still having hope of the future, please keep it up my sister and i advise you to try learning more about story writing you are going to shine :)