New Law about Registering a Car as a Foreigner

This is what I'm doing at the moment, bringing car over in the spring, taking it back October and getting MOT again before I drive back to Hungary, BUT I hit problems with my UK breakdown cover. Britannia who I have been with for 20 years will not cover me for more than 180 days a year out of UK. It cost me an extra £80 to change breakdown company to Green Flag who don't have a 'time abroad' rule. + watch out for the 16 year rule if you have an old car.

davidpearce wrote:

.... Green Flag who don't have a 'time abroad' rule. + watch out for the 16 year rule if you have an old car.

AA have a worse rule - 11 years.  I think the Stuart Collins breakdown insurance allows any kind of car, without age limit. I believe it even allows for "classic" cars.   

Insurance is a pain - so much for EU integration and the common market.

ADAC, the German equivalent of RAC (only better) can do you all Europe cover - you have to ring them - the website only accepts German registry - when they hear you speak English (or whichever lingo is the one of choice) they will put you through to an operator that speaks the same .....