Is 800 KD good for a Teacher?

Hello all,
I am moving to Salwa Kuwait in few weeks time. I have couple of question if anyone could answar them for me I wiuld be most great full.

1) is 800 KD good for a teaching post?
2) what area in Salwa has the most expat?
3) do I need to open a bank account and how easy is it to transfer money in to my uk account as I have bills to pay back home?
4) the cheapest/ best internet provides
5) Cost of living?
6) things to do and where to meet Londoners as I am moving to Kuwait on my own and don't know anyone there.

Dear Londoner28,

First, welcome to Kuwait and I wish you happy times there. In fact, I am working in higher education management section and have some background to address your questions. Here are some insights you might want to consider:

1- Remuneration for teaching posts depends on your degree i.e master's average salary is significantly higher than bachelor's. In your case, unless your are provided accommodation and transportation allowance, 800 KD will be somehow tight comparing to local marketplace.
2- Salwa is a good place and one of the areas where expats found mostly every where.
3- Opening a bank account is a simple process and money transfer agencies are easily found.
4- Some residences provide free internet service. However, there are three internet service providers best of which is Viva.
5- Living costs depend on your lifestyle but if you have to pay for housing and transport your 800 KD may be fully spent in Kuwait.( make sure that the 800 KD is your net pay and the employer should provide accommodation and transport).
6-Best thing to do is to try to learn something about the culture. There are many expats in Kuwait and the citizens here are very friendly with Westerners in particular.

*My advice to you is to seek some understanding of the culture as well as Arabic language. Doing this, you will be able to further understand  the marketplace and so you'll have better career opportunities.

Best regards,

Ahmed

800KD is tight? wow, so everyone earning below that is barely scraping by?

1) is 800 KD good for a teaching post?
Yes. more can be made thru tuition. parents even send their drivers to pick u up/ drop u off.

2) what area in Salwa has the most expat?
mostly all of it, it has a mix of locals/ expats.

3) do I need to open a bank account and how easy is it to transfer money in to my uk account as I have bills to pay back home?
yes, u need to open a bank account. very easy, get an ePin and u can do ur own transfers urself.

4) the cheapest/ best internet provides
cheapest and best do not really go in the same sentence. it depends on ur package. do u want internet at home? u'll need a landline, and check out qualitynet, fasttelco, KEMS, gulfnet etc. no landline, stick with 3G/4G, check out Wataniya, Zain & Viva.

5) Cost of living?
www.numbeo.com

6) things to do and where to meet Londoners as I am moving to Kuwait on my own and don't know anyone there.
rugby. www.q8scorpions.com or find them on facebook.

KD 800 is very good for a teacher
You can do  more on tuition  too.
Salwa is  good area to stay,
opening bank account is easy  after you have your civil ID . You can transfer the money pretty easily . No problems at all. Best thing is that no body questions you what you do with your money . No tax at all .....

Thank you

Well its my second month here as a Teacher and I get a total of 800 KD

The salary is more than good.

I started tutoring too and I got a full week schedule after school. You can easily get another 800 from tutoring :)

So no worries! Please let me know if you need further help

Hi. I am new to Kuwait n im originally from England. Looking for a teaching job at a school, any suggestions?

Hello,

Welcome to Kuwait my friend. Please shed some light on your educational background. What degrees you possess?

Best regards,

Ahmed

Thanks man. I have a catering and hospitality degree and currently a part time teacher at Oxford Language center. It is my first teaching experience and i have no teaching qualifications, but i am looking to persue TEFL. I have 8 years experience in managing call centers, which obviously isnt anything of importance here in Kuwait.

hairdresser

Thats quite good for a teacher

Most welcome dear. Well, I believe you will have good work prospects in Kuwait given your experience in different domains and your multiple skills. Based on you nativeness and your teaching experience, you can teach at English teaching centers such as New Horizon Institute, Info Center or Expression Institute. Likewise, based on your professional managing experience at call centers, you may apply at the three Telecommunication Companies in Kuwait: Zain, Oredoo and Viva. They require huge call center workforce.

Good luck,

A

Thanks for the advise. I will try all of those :)