Hello, I want to move to Armenia from the United States!!

Hello everybody, I just want to say that I am a 20 year old male and I really want to move to my country of origin, Armenia. My parents immigrated to the U.S a couple years after the USSR collapsed, just like most ex-soviets who move from their republics; ( Latvia, Ukraine, Moldova, etc. ). I am 100% Armenian by ethnicity, and I love my country, and I really want to see it. My dream is to live there and marry a traditional Armenian girl and live the life there in happiness. I realize that America is the land of opportunity, it's just I don't like it here too much. It's as if I don't belong here, my heart isn't set in this place. I feel more close to my culture if anything. I speak fluent English, Russian and I am currently teaching myself Armenian, so far getting the hang of it. I know that in Armenia that Russian is spoken in a generous amount, due to it being a former Soviet state. I understand the etiquette in Armenia and typical Russian behavior, I lived through it with my family. I want to see the beautiful countryside, breath the fresh clean mountain air and go to the beautiful lake Sevan. I really want to!!! I currently hold a certification in Phlebotomy and I am thinking of maybe finding a medical related job, or maybe I can start with something simple and work my way up. I am sure that I have relatives that still live in Yerevan, and maybe I can stay with them in the meantime. So what should I do guys? Any suggestions? I appreciate your time in reading this, it really means a lot to me :)

Hello Vadik963,
I like your idea to go back to Armenia and it's a "big move" of course.
Have you been in Armenia, after the immigration? Maybe you can try to live there some 3- 6 months, find some job and see how it's going? Good, that you have some relatives there, it can be helpful. It's not easy to live in Armenia these days.
My concern is that sometimes people come back to Armenia from diaspora and then run away shortly with the tales how horrible it was.
Armenia is a great place to live, you just really need to be ready.

Hi and first of all I want to say thanks for replying to me I'm very grateful :) I have never been to Armenia before, my parents have. I know that I have some aunts and uncles/cousins living there. So maybe I'm sure they will be happy for me to stay there, and I will help them out with anything. I know we don't have the best neighbors ( Turkey and Azerbaijan ), but I don't care about that at all really. It's not like I will live on the border of those countries. I am thinking of going to Yerevan. Have you ever been there? Is it expensive there? I speak fluent English and Russian and I'm wondering if Russian will help me get through?  What do you think, Meltonyan?

Hi again and sorry for the late reply!
I have been living in Armenia for whole my life. I just moved three years ago to Switzerland and now I am in Denmark :). In fact, in a longer perspective I want to go back.(Do you say in a longer perspective in English? В перспективе, в будущем).
Compare to Switzerland and Denmark, it is cheaper in Armenia, but I am not sure about the USA, however food is definitely cheaper and healthier :).
I guess, with Russian it will work out (everyone speaks Russian in Armenia) and English can help for finding a good job.
Good Luck with your plans exploring Armenia!

Cheers

Hi, thanks again for replying!!! What was life like for you in Armenia? What city did you live in and what is daily life like over there? I would think Russian would help since many people speak it there. In USA everything is expensive; for example a normal one bedroom apartment in USA will cost about $1000 dollars or 800 Euros, and that is just the rent. The utilities also are expensive here. The food is also expensive here, it costs about $40 for one person in restaurant typically. Can you please tell me, on average is the rent there expensive in Armenia, utilities and food? What was your daily life like? Since I speak fluent English, do you think I can find some sort of job teaching English? I really appreciate your answers :) I hope there are lots of young women in their 20's in Armenia, I'm a young guy and single haha, would definitely want somebody like me, who is Armenian.

BTW how is Denmark? What made you move there?

Hi Vadik963,
I was born in Armenia, so life was like just life for me there :), I guess the big difference from Europe is that usually you have a big family/relatives and lots of friends and people around are very much interested in your life. I've lived in Yerevan before I moved. I think you can find let's say one bedroom apartment for about 500$ (rent) in downtown and 200$ inside a 15-20 km radius from the city centre. Typically for one person in not so expensive restaurant you pay around 20$ for a person. The utilities are expensive, because we don't have gas and oil in Armenia, so another 200$ for that in winter, in summer it's about 30$. Food is not expensive there. As I said, I think you can find a job there, although the salaries are not so good in Armenia, one thinks of 800$ per month as a good income.
And, of course, there are many nice young women in Armenia :).
I've moved to Denmark with my husband, he is working here. I like it here and I think we will stay in Denmark for a couple of years.

Thanks for the reply, Meltonyan :) I really appreciate it. You give me hope in my ventures. I really want to see the beauty of my country, I guess every young Armenian feels this way. Too bad my parents think it's a dumb idea :( I know that they fled to the U.S after the CCCP collapsed, and because of the Azerbaijani-Armenia war. Those were rough times back then, but hopefully to this day it isn't as bad. Eh I guess we all have to make our own choices in life. I wonder if I would need a car in Armenia?

Thanks for your interest in Armenia and you are welcome!
Yeah, I think we need to make our own choices and to try to do what we like, anyway you always can go back to US.
It's a bit better in Armenia, at least there is no war in there right now.  Just make sure that you will not have problems with the military service in Armenia. The public transport is not so good, so I guess you will need a car.

I'm a little worried about military service, since I don't really speak the language well. I don't know if they will communicate in Russian for me?

I think they will communicate in Russian. Do you have Armenian citizenship? If not, then you should not be worry.

I definitely don't have Armenian residency, so I don't know if they will still accept me

I'm not sure about residency, I guess you should ask authorities. However they are very happy to have Armenians back to Armenia, so I assume you shouldn't have a problem with that.

I hope people won't see me as a bad person if I don't really know the language. I'm working on it haha and it's going decently for the moment. Hopefully the locals will be accepting of me, since I am of their heritage. I can't wait to eat some real khorovats ;)