8500RM per month

Hi All,
I belong to India and having 8.5 years of experience in IT (DOTNET) AND earning Rs. 72,000 take home and Rs. 15,000 expense. I have been offered ( 8500RM per month + 1 month bonus salary every year) from one IT company in Kuala Lumpur having office in Jalan Ampang.  Considering all the calculation, I have been told that since its a long term job. So, I will charged around 15 % tax (I know for initial 182 days it's 24-26% but post that will be near 15% and will get refund of extra I paid). I just want to know, whether it's a good offer also kindly mention what would be the rent (sharing, I am single) + food+ Travel expenses, if I want to stay near to office. Also I want to know can I switch the company on the visa..... Plz plz answer soon. I have only this weekend to think on this.....

Why would you want to switch employer, even before you have taken up the job?  Anyway, that aside, if you were able to get another position, the current employer has to sign a release letter (no objection letter) so your employment pass can be cancelled and another one issued by the new company. Of course, some companies are not too happy when employees want to jump ship and lack commitment to them, so the worst case scenario is a hassle with them and a lot of bad feeling. Check what the contract of employment says about leaving as well, some companies put in strange clauses which include having to pay back bonuses or reimburse leave which has been taken in advance. Often the notice period is 3 months and some new employers are not prepared to wait or go through a difficult transition.

Regarding expenses, Jalan Ampang is an exceedingly long road, so it is difficult to say where you might want to live. But lets say its within walking distance of an LRT station. If that is the case you could share a place in Brickfields with 50% of the other Indian workers in Kuala Lumpur for about RM1500 all in per month. Other expenses depend on choice but I always work on the RM30 per day rule. That seems to be pretty realistic to cover most of what a person needs over and above housing and telecommunications (not including entertainment/hospitality/clothing purchases though).

The offer for a single person is averagely good.  If you really want a change of scenery then take the job.  You will need to have quite a robust character though, to deal with all the changes of relocating to another country and the stresses of starting over and everything being difficult to start with. However, this passes after about 7-9 months for most people. If your quality of life is closely connected with your existing family and friends, then you may find it a bit lonely to start with, but how you cope with that depends once again on how social you are as a person and what are your personal plans. At the end of the day relocating for work is all about quality of life and not necessarily just the bottom line of a salary. Personally, I always jumped at the chance to go and live and work in a new country and quite liked the step into the unknown and the sense of achievement when I mastered my new surroundings and created a new life for myself.

Just one thing I noticed (a bit of amateur psychology) - you use the words "I belong" to India..... instead of "I am Indian". Are you really therefore ready to break your ties with your home country or is getting the job more about the hunter and the chase?

Hi,
Thanks for answering most of my questions. It will really help me in taking the decision. Also Mentioning that I belong to India was just a way of writing. I am proud to be an Indian from heart otherwise.

If you spare some time in telling me (if you are aware) that on 8.5 years of exp. and got the title of Sr. Soft. Dev position, is the RM8500 per month gross is ok as per KL standards?

Here is a link a salary guide prepared by Kelly - it should answer your question about average salaries in KL

Kelly Salary Guide 2014

The interesting part is you hear about so many people asking for advice before taking up a contract and then u never hear back from them. Most IT folks from India seem to be getting relatively similar contracts. It would be great if they then respond to such queries. Basically pass it on.

Anyways, Gravitas, as always, is spot on. My view is to double your indian salary and convert into ringgit. You should earn more than that amt in kl. If you are single, u should be able to manage.

It might be worthwhile giving some indication of your office, maybe name of building. Ampang road is one of the longest roads in kl and the distance is probably around 10-15 kms.

Menara Citibank, 165, Jalan Ampang is the building....kindly let me know what would be the expenses to live in sharing the flat and a comfortable life near by this area?

With your experience that is too low. But seems many will take these jobs these days. Do expect to be worked 18hours a day 7 days a week. Then sacked when they get someone cheaper! (happened to someone I know recently - think roman galley slave). Sad but the way things have gone in IT.

the good news is that ur office is very close to the train station. 5 mins walk. the bad news is that the area is klcc, which is one of the most expensive in kl. my suggestion is look at a location called wangsa maju, where rents for sharing are approx 1k. check out ibilik.my to get an idea. or google the train network in kl and check out the various stations. anything around klcc will be expensive. its the bandra or worli of kl :-) just to give u an idea.

I really appreciate your answers and found it very useful for me. That site is very much helpful. Coming back to a previous question. Can you please give me an idea, a Senior Soft. Developer having 8.5 years of experience in .NET technologies should be getting how much salary? Just to get an idea.

Hope to see your answer soon.