Best places to get food in Mexico ?

hello everyone now since I'll be in Mexico in a couple of months I was wondering where you fellow Expat.comgers have had the best food in Mexico and what was the dish you ate? Just watched an episode of Anthony Bourdain traveling to Mexico and got me in the mood for some food mmmmmmmmm  :D

Some of the local restaurants are quite good. You can find mall food courtyard restaurants in the malls as well as U.S. based restaurants like Chill's and Outback. For a local restaurant we tend to eat in the Toks at the Liverpool Mall when we are home. On the road we ask at the hotel. Actually many of the Hotel restaurants are quite good. Mexican food in Mexico is not what they call Mexican food in the U.S. Think Mediterranean Ask around, really good restaurants are not hard to find.

awww i see thanks for the quick reply what is toks? i know what liverpool is but i have never heard of toks thanks again!

Hello all

@Newbie traveler : You could check out our directory : Restaurants in Mexico

Please feel free to recommend other Restaurants so that other members too can benefit from the info!

Thanks all

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Don't mean to plug my blog, but this is an article about my favorite restaurant in Mexico, very authentic, very off the beaten track. Let me know if you'd like directions. paz, Abby
vsvevg.com/2013/06/12/my-favorite-restaurant-in-mexico/

There are wonderful restaurants all over Mexico from street stalls to five star. Some will tell you the best food is in Oaxaca and other say Yucatan others will say Vera Cruz or Campeche. you see Mexican food is very regional depending on the climate , what foods are available as a result and what other nationalities influenced that particular region. It is fusion cuisine - combining the local indigenous food with the Spanish and French or Lebanese or other cultures that have influenced the distinct regions. You will do yourself a favour if you research the food of the region you are visiting so that you can order the specialities of that area. Also visit the local outdoor markets and see first hand what raw foods are available. have fun
catriona
the little mexican cooking school

There is great food all over Mexico.  Just ask locals and don't be afraid of the exotic. 
There's a local institution here in Zacatecas, Dorados de Villa.  They specialize of creative variations on the enchilada theme.  Delicious and reasonable.  Another favorite is El Pueblito.  Welcoming atmosphere and some of the best pozole anywhere.

TOKS is unique to Mexico. it is a full service restaurant similar to restaurants like i Hop or Chill's in the U.S., yet several levels more individual and appetizing . There are a number of them in the Yucatan. They serve authentic as well as variations on the Mexican theme. I like them because the quality and service is consistently good, which isn't always true of every restaurant here . You can , like in the U.S. get a not so great meal here and there. In Puebla I went to an "authentic Mexican" restaurant recommended by the hotel clerk and it consisted of orange rice and a very bland enchilada. It was very much like the food often called Mexican that is served in the U.S. only minus the cheese.

Where in Mexico? Always try the local places, we always like finding "hole in the wall" type of places, but it depends on where in Mexico you will be. There are many chain restaurants (Ruths Chris, Outback, Applebees, Hard Rock Cafe) but why would you want to go to one of those when in Mexico?)
One of my favorite Mexican places is a chain called TOKS. We eat there every Sunday after Mass, and enjoy eating there any time. I think TOKS is in most places in Mexico, but am not completely sure.
If you are coming to Cancun, there are some AMAZING local places (one of my favorite is a Hungarian place) and I would be happy to direct you to any of them.
Happy traveling and eating!