Advice please...

I am moving out to Vietnam in January to work there for a few months during my gap year.

Its quite a daunting idea for me as I will be there on my own...

I have a few questions that if you have the time i would really consider your advice on.

1) what do you do re mobile communications out there? is it best to buy a phone and a contract out there or to take a unlocked phone ? 
2) Are there anythings i need to be aware of ?
3) Any good ways of meeting other English speaking Expats ?
4) Banking wise, should I set up an account in HCMC or just use my UK account ?
5) best forms of transport ?

And other advise you could give me would also be tremendously helpful.

Thank you,

Charles.

Hi!How is weather in london?

Charpres wrote:

1) what do you do re mobile communications out there? is it best to buy a phone and a contract out there or to take a unlocked phone ? 

$1 for unclocking the phone. 1 $ for a mobile sim.

No. Good and bad people are everywhere but they are under different forms in different areas.

3) Any good ways of meeting other English speaking Expats ? Yes. Drinking beers in bui vien street

I think you should discuss this with your employers who invited you to Vietnam. Ask them what Viet bank they are going to transfer money to.

5) best forms of transport ? Motorbike. Yoy can buy  a bike at 5000000d and sell it when you want to back england.

Regards

Bring a pair of Wellington boots! It rains a lot.

During your gap year what sort of work will you be doing out here? Do you have a job with a company or a NGO. They should supply you with some guidance.

If you have been to Europe for trips, the coming here will be no more challenging. Except for the 'drivers'.

Tell your bank/card issuer you are coming out here (so they can tell their computers) and see if you can get a new card issued with a late expiry date.

Your GSM cell handset will be fully compatible out here. Do not use roaming!

The voltage here is 240V AC; 50Hz. Do NOT buy travel adapters - cheaper out here.

No need for injections - HCM is quite civilised, although getting your flu shots, and rabies would quite handy. We have lots of crazy dogs here.

P.S. I'm from Worcestershire. We can't get Worcestershire Sauce or Marmite here!

I was told by my doctor to get :

Hep A
Hep B
Typhoid
Tetanus

Will ask about the rabies as well - we have no rabies here in Australia.

@ussieDave wrote:

I was told by my doctor to get :

Hep A
Hep B
Typhoid
Tetanus

You can get rabies shots here easy enough, 5 weekly visits to the hospital, about $35, ( after being bitten ),  we have a Govt " Vet " come around every year and inoculate our dogs, but they never get all of them. ( I've been bitten 4 times, I carry my dog in a cage on the back of my bike, so other dogs think I'm a dog buyer. ).
  Unless you intend to visit massage parlors, ( Hep C as well ), I wouldn't worry about all those other shots, ( maybe one for Ebola might come in handy soon though? ).

@ussieDave wrote:

Hep A
Hep B
Typhoid
Tetanus

Hep A - Yes
Hep B - Yes
Typhoid - In VietNam
Tetanus - Might be handy

No rabies in Australia? That's because Bluenz is in VietNam.

I personally wouldn't drive a motorbike here. There have been a number of foreigner deaths on motorbikes in the past month and it's just not worth the risk. Traffic out here is insane and the rules are different than in western countries. Some of my English teaching friends have hired personal xe om drivers (motorbike taxi) to transport them. Your company might have some recommendations for one if you are interested.

Some advice I wished I had received upon arrival: be aware of fake liquor on Bui Vien street...tastes like its real but seriously effs you in the morning! I would stick to beer at this location.

Also, try to get a place near a fresh market...we used to live a block from the Tan Dinh market on Hai Ba Trung and the produce is way fresher and cheaper than at a grocery store. We would go to the same vegetable lady every week and she quickly started giving us mega discounts! A whole huge bag of fresh veg for under $5. Can't beat it! Anyhow...you'll figure a lot out as you go. Wishing you luck on your adventure!

MTinHCMC wrote:

I personally wouldn't drive a motorbike here. There have been a number of foreigner deaths on motorbikes in the past month and it's just not worth the risk. Traffic out here is insane and the rules are different than in western countries. Some of my English teaching friends have hired personal xe om drivers (motorbike taxi) to transport them. Your company might have some recommendations for one if you are interested.

Some advice I wished I had received upon arrival: be aware of fake liquor on Bui Vien street...tastes like its real but seriously effs you in the morning! I would stick to beer at this location.

Also, try to get a place near a fresh market...we used to live a block from the Tan Dinh market on Hai Ba Trung and the produce is way fresher and cheaper than at a grocery store. We would go to the same vegetable lady every week and she quickly started giving us mega discounts! A whole huge bag of fresh veg for under $5. Can't beat it! Anyhow...you'll figure a lot out as you go. Wishing you luck on your adventure!

"   the rules are different  ", WHAT rules???? it's every man for himself, or just go with the flow, no problem.

bluenz wrote:

"   the rules are different  ", WHAT rules???? it's every man for himself, or just go with the flow, no problem.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/22626/uni … -into-wallhttp://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/societ … ident.htmlhttp://www.talkvietnam.com/2014/10/fore … t-in-hcmc/

no problem?? I'm guessing these people thought they could "go with the flow, no problem". It's not worth the risk.

MTinHCMC wrote:
bluenz wrote:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/22626/uni … -into-wallhttp://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/societ … ident.htmlhttp://www.talkvietnam.com/2014/10/fore … t-in-hcmc/

no problem?? I'm guessing these people thought they could "go with the flow, no problem". It's not worth the risk.

A bit of adrenalin is good for you. Beats a boring ,non risk taking life. Speeding isn't going with the flow, although the best place for a VN driver/rider, ( apart from sitting in a coffee shop ), is behind you.

MTinHCMC wrote:

I've got to disagree with you there MT on the two highlighted points.
Firstly,getting/driving a motorbike is a rite of passage for any foreigner who so much as passes through this country. Traffic is chaotic,sure.There are no rules obeyed here,just remember that stay on the right hand side of the road,not the left like in England.
Going by Xe Om is not good advice.Why put your life in someone's hands who you've never met?
They drive like men possessed.They often grossly overcharge.And occasionally half drunk. EVEN the trusted? regulars(they have their own lives and worries too).
A taxi these days is relative priced for the same journey and safer by 100%.

Secondly,living near a fresh market is not only an eyesore when open,it's an odiriferous insult.
And as soon as they see the tay,the price goes up and the communication skills go down.
And what's he going to ask for? Will he know what piece of beef or chicken is already 8hrs in the the shade not cooled?
I'm sure if the OP already has a close friend or GF who lives nearby,then he'll get by.
CO-OP Mart is fine.There are many 24hr stores around and also regional supermarkets.Clean,set prices and easy in and out.

Back on topic. For the OP. Just bring lots of socks and jocks.2/3 pairs of shoes and a solid travel insurance plan.
And a 1968 Duke 350
http://www.webgrafex.com/roundcase/ducati/350rh1.JPG

Herewith a local's responses:

Charpres wrote:

Its quite a daunting idea for me as I will be there on my own...

The Vietnamese are NORMALLY friendly and willing to help. So, be strong, man!

Charpres wrote:

1) is it best to buy a phone and a contract out there or to take a unlocked phone ?

If you already have a GMS unlocked one, just take it here. Otherwise, with 15USD you can have a new non-smart phone here. For a short stay, no contract needed, a 5$ prepaid SIM would work for you.

Chaotic traffics. The rest is just like when you come to somewhere new, be careful!

3) Any good ways of meeting other English speaking Expats ?
This forum + night clubs.

If you are hired and paid, you will certainly need a new local bank account. No ways to pay directly to your UK bank account. But no worry, the employer will have to take care of this for you.

5) best forms of transport ?
Depends on your demand and budget. Herewith some ideas:
Safety first: Taxi (traffic jams should be counted)
Budget first: Public bus (crowded and pocket pickers should be noticed)
Flexibility and budget first: Xe om - motorbike taxi (driving speed should be controlled)

Welcome to Vietnam!

jimbream wrote:

And a 1968 Duke 350
[img align=c]http://www.webgrafex.com/roundcase/ducati/350rh1.JPG[/url]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91485187/xe%20dap.jpg

Sorry, I am off topic  :o

Thank you all for your replies.

I will be sure to take on all that you have said and will hopefully be an amazing and enjoyable few months.

Thanks,

Charlie.

one like for you.... that's right