Open a B&B in Malta for a EU citizen

Dear all,

My name is Jack and i'm French.
I have the project (it's just the beginning) to open a B&B at Gozo.

I would like to know what is process for that ?

Do I have to create a company?
Do I have to have an authorization from any government agency ?

Thank for your help.

I will be in Malta next week for 15 days in order to visit all the areas where I can create the B&B and visit some Gozo's farmhouses

Hi Jack,
I'm french too and somehow in the same process :) as we are on the english forum I answer in english, but feel free to pm me in french if you wish.

From the informations I've gathered so far, in order to open a b&b in Malta you need to own the place. You might also open your b&b in a place you rent, but in that case you'll need the owner's agreement (and my guess from what I've heard is : that's unlikely to happen, but you can try).
Then you'll need to register your place at the tourism authority (http://www.mta.com.mt), they'll come to inspect and verify if all standards required are matched.

And my advice about starting a company or maybe use the self employment status : the best would be to get in touch with a local lawyer to sort things out. There are a few french expats running b&bs in Gozo, maybe you can contact them ? (even if I'm not sure if the "hello, I wan't to be a competitor of yours, help me" could help :)

Good luck anyway... if our plan goes well we'll leave Paris and settle in Malta in March, so maybe we'll  see you around as we often come to Gozo !

Anybody on the forum : please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong !

David

Hi David,

Merci.

Still in English:

Yes, I want to own a place. I really want to move and leave our sweet president country.

Next week, I'm visiting some farmehouse with a local estate agency.

I found this on the MTA website:

http://www.mta.com.mt/service-providers

With this document to fill in:
http://www.mta.com.mt/loadfile.ashx?id= … 73c66b6faf

"bed and breakfast", in the context of a special label, means a
one, two, three or four star hotel which is exempted from providing a
restaurant and restaurant service, but is still required to provide a bar,
a breakfast room and breakfast service and which is also exempted
from providing a swimming pool

As far as i understood quickly, you have a lot a criteria that give you points. And to open a B&B, you need a minimum of 20 points.

Both of you I wish you luck but please note we already have a lot of B&Bs in Gozo! It will be hard for you to find a village that hasn't got one! I am a small business owner in Gozo (Not a B&B I rent cars ect... ) it's not as easy as people make out! Yes there's the red tape but if locals don't like you then your place won't work. I am sure you have both spoke to locals and I hope other B&B owners here.
I wish you well
If I can help PM me. Nai

Hi Nai,

Thanks for your help.

For me, it's just the beginning of the project and i'm in the market Analysis:

It's a good thing that there is other B&B. If there were no B&B, it would mean that there is no market.

The point is to know the occupancy level of Gozo for all type of accomodation. I found statistics on the Malta Toursime website agency.
During summer, on Gozo, the occupancy rate is around 85% (so it's full).
For the winter periode, it's another story ...

This fact is also confirmed by traveler guide book like Lonely planet or Guide du Routard (French guide). They both say that it's hard to find a bed in gozo during the hight season.

All of this is just my analysis for statistics and books and I come in order to confirm if it's true or not and speak with people.

I try to build this project with a lot of professionnalisme, and your comment are very helpfull.

I will be in Malta Island next week and in Gozo the week after.

Jack

Hello,
Does anyone know what is the Arms tariff applicable to a townhouse where the (foreign) owner himself is living,  while occasionally renting out two or three self-catering rooms that were approved by the Tourism Authority?
Does it come under the Non-Residential tariff?
Many thanks in advance.

Hello Jack,

I am considering the same business venture in a few years ( I still need to do my complete research) but I had stayed in a B&B in Gozo 2 years ago and loved it.. this is what made me want to get into it.

have you been successful in your venture? Did you open your own place?

Hi,
It's been more than 2 years since you started this projects and discussion.
Are you running a BnB in Gozo?
If yes, how is it going?
If not, what made you change your mind?

Thanks in advance!

If you are thinking about opening a B &B in Gozo be careful where you choose as there have been many open up lately, we have seven within a five minute walk where we live in Gharb.

When this topic started a couple of years ago there were no B&B's within 1/4 mile of us, since then there have been seven open of which one has already closed.

The whole of Gozo is becoming saturated with B&B's as landlords have realised they can charge more if they let for business purposes and many expats think it is an easy way of making a living, which of course it isn't.

Like everything else, the good will survive, the mediocre won't!

Ray

A year has passed since the last post on this subject.

Does anyone have any views on the current situation.
Like has the number of B&B's continued to increase
or have applications now levelled out ?
Is the market completely saturated now or is there
scope for new entrants ?

Gozo has a lot of B & B's at the last count Gharb has now got thirty six and many of the other villages have a lot, so there is plenty of competition, we also have some boutique hotels .  There probably is room for more in some of the other villages.

Anyone know about occupancy rates in summer in Gozo and in spring/autumn? In winter it will be quiet for sure I think :) . Read somewhere occupancy rates is about 85%?

You'll need to register a company and consider any licensing permits you need to run it. For example food and handling etc. For details on registering a company, tax requirements etc. check out Welcome Center Malta as they have a business sector with loads of good information.

reiost wrote:

You'll need to register a company and consider any licensing permits you need to run it. For example food and handling etc. For details on registering a company, tax requirements etc. check out Welcome Center Malta as they have a business sector with loads of good information.

If you are referring to the first post on here, it is from four years ago.

Hi im really curious to know if the locals don't like you , that the business would not succeed?
why would the locals have a dislike in the first place?
if the person/s whent about the law , was polite and friendly what would be the potential issues/s?
People all over the world may want something someone else has or gossip at the end of the day hard work will pay and pay into the ministry for taxes also.
i really cant see an issue.
Kind Regards
Mark

xaghrahgal wrote:

Hi im really curious to know if the locals don't like you , that the business would not succeed?
why would the locals have a dislike in the first place?
if the person/s whent about the law , was polite and friendly what would be the potential issues/s?
People all over the world may want something someone else has or gossip at the end of the day hard work will pay and pay into the ministry for taxes also.
i really cant see an issue.
Kind Regards
Mark

If you are referring to the first post you are unlikely to get a reply as he has not participated on here for over three years.

Hello All,

It has been some time, but wanted to touch base and see if anyone here did start the new venture and open a BnB?

Hind Matar wrote:

Hello All,

It has been some time, but wanted to touch base and see if anyone here did start the new venture and open a BnB?

This topic is five years old, you would be better off starting a new one.

haha thank you