Bringing medicines to Kuwait and renewing prescription

Hello everyone,

Just recently I got an offer to work in Kuwait, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether should I take it or not.
I am taking two medicines, Lithium(Carbonate) and Zalasta and I need to take them on daily basis. I realized that UAE have quite strict policies about medications such as antidepressants and similar.

As I concluded, I can bring a certain amount of said medication(3 months worth) given that I have a prescription and a script from my doctor. Even provided these documents, it seems to be quite risky. I read an article about a guy who was arrested because he brought in a medicine that was on banned list. My medications are on A list and B list and can be imported with adequate documents.

Yet, let's presume that I go smoothly with my meds, the question is what am I to do after I finish my supplies.

So, finally, the question would be: Can I get a prescription for Lithium and Zalasta in Kuwait? And how? Where to go, what institution to visit? Can it be done?

I really want this job, but I put my health first.

Thank you in advance

Hello Jeff
I'm not in a Medical expert
But as far as I know
I think you can request your medicine in Kuwait too - so don't worry, once your 3 months medicine finished , then you can request it from the hospitals or a pharmacy - and make sure to bring a prescription copy for the medicine too - just in case you will need to search for it.

Read this blog post, it might help.

Thanks guys, this helps!

wish u good luck jeff

Thank you.

Another question: Is my insurer or company able to see my medical record, that is - will they be able to see that I got a prescription for a certain medicine?

Many thanks!

If you meant to hide it, they wont, but it's not advisable coz if an emergency happens to you and nobody in your company knows about your medical records, your company doctor or your GP here might not be able to render you the addequate order and care.

Air_bay80s wrote:

If you meant to hide it, they wont, but it's not advisable coz if an emergency happens to you and nobody in your company knows about your medical records, your company doctor or your GP here might not be able to render you the addequate order and care.

I just don't want them to know that I have a condition because I've learned that suffering from depression or similar is looked upon in these kind of companies and societies.

I meant to bring my medication with me and a prescription and a note from my doctor(for the airport), so using that I plan to get a new prescription in Kuwait.

Hi Jeff, my experience here in Kuwait is that if you cannot get the medicine from pharmacies you need to get it from a hospital, and one hospital in particular. But the snag is that you need a civil id to obtain the medicine.  I too am sitting with a slight dilemma as I do not have my civil id yet and the hospital  which has the medicine, wont even grant me a visit without it.