Work for over 60's

Hi Everybody

Hopefully somebody can advise on the following:

My wife and I are looking to move to Malta, we have visited the  island several times and love the place, the people and the way of life have decided that this is the place we would like to move/retire to.

While retirement is till 5 years off for myself I would like of know what is the chances of getting work in Malta at the age of 60, as from what I have read the retirement age in Malta is currently 61.
My background since returning to the UK form South Africa in 1999 has been in Customer Service of one form or another plus I have serving in the UK Reserve Air Force for the past 14 and a half years.

Any advice/assistance on employment prospects would be appreciated

Regards

Alan

The retirement age here is 60 and employment may be difficult for people of our more mature years. Customer Service is a very generic description. Perhaps you could be more specific regarding which area of customer services you would be looking into? You say retirement is 5 years off. To what retirement age? UK or Malta? (UK retirement age is variable if being related to UK State Pensions)
Personally, I would ask myself , why work if you do not have to?

alanhay wrote:

Hi Everybody

Hopefully somebody can advise on the following:

My wife and I are looking to move to Malta, we have visited the  island several times and love the place, the people and the way of life have decided that this is the place we would like to move/retire to.

While retirement is till 5 years off for myself I would like of know what is the chances of getting work in Malta at the age of 60, as from what I have read the retirement age in Malta is currently 61.
My background since returning to the UK form South Africa in 1999 has been in Customer Service of one form or another plus I have serving in the UK Reserve Air Force for the past 14 and a half years.

Any advice/assistance on employment prospects would be appreciated

Regards

Alan

Finding a job in Malta is not age related.
There is plenty of work going in the hospitality sector but you will have to be willing to except low wages and long hours and probably off the books!
If you are happy with that then the rest is up to you.

Good luck

Terry

Retirement age in Malta is 62, not 60. Terry has given good advise. There is also call centre work too.

Thank you, but it varies. Also why the 60+ the old Karta Anzjan benefits?
Retirement? It's all in the mind you know  :)

A person may be eligible to Contributory Retirement Pension, if s/he satisfies a set of Statutory Conditions.  The following criteria must be fulfilled:

1.  if you were born:
    • on the 31st December 1951 or before, your retirement age is 60 years if female and 61 years if male
    • between 1952 and 1955, your retirement age is 62 years
    • between 1956 and 1958, your retirement age is 63 years
    • between 1959 and 1961, your retirement age is 64 years
    • on the 1st January 1962 or after, your retirement age is 65 years

However, a person - whether be a male or a female - who reaches 61 years of age can opt for an earlier retirement

From: https://secure3.gov.mt/socialpolicy/soc … nfo_retire

Thanks for all the info, my background has been in Call Centre Customer Service, 11 years with LLoyds TSB Bank and the last couple of years with TNT (Courier).
I am currently 60 so I have just over 5 years until UK retirement, I realise that I am almost at Maltese retirement age that is why I was querying the possibility of work over in Malta at my age.
If the chances of employment are slim then We will have to just bide our time until the wife reaches retirement age then move to Malta as Pensioners.

We both love Malta and have set our hearts on moving over there, however without employment for both of us we will probably have to place our dreams on hold for a while :)

It does depend on when you were born,,,,It's 62 at present as people born in 1952 are 62 this year!

My husband is 62 Saturday and we wish to move early next year. Does this mean he will be able to get his UK pension, or will he have to wait til 65? Thanks

suzykev wrote:

My husband is 62 Saturday and we wish to move early next year. Does this mean he will be able to get his UK pension, or will he have to wait til 65? Thanks

If its a UK pension then he will get it at the UK retirement age.

Terry