Scooters

Can anyone inform me what type of license is required by the thai government for an australian riding a moped over there .

you can using your driving license from ausy sir! manytime im driving using car here and still using my hometown driving license , when meet checking point just give your driving license

If you want to be extra safe, you could apply for an international driver's licence.  In New Zealand, it's $20.

I have heard that if you don't have this document, you risk a 200 baht fine.  Which isn't a grand sum, but there you go.

Best to have motorcycle license from your home country and also international permit because some police want to see both while others will accept your home country license.  I think it depends on their English skill but that's my opinion.

If you plan to be here more than 90 days you should obtain Thai drivers license for motorcycle.

The trouble will not be the police check but the trouble will be in case of accident with insurance company or the dealer you hire the bike or car, International driving licence is mandatory.

Other important point : Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence