Visiting Natal

Hello! My name is Mirna. I will be visiting Natal for 4 weeks, starting in the month of October 2014. This will be my first time in Brazil and I would like to connect with people. I was born in Mexico. I currently live in Seattle, WA, USA and would like to make Brazil my new home soon.
-M

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/eolwd/multilingual-information/multilingual/multicultural-banner-flags-welcome.jpg

Hi Mirna,

On behalf of everybody here at Expat-blog, welcome on board. I hope that your participation here will be both enjoyable and informative. I'm sure you'll really love Brazil.

As a long-time Vancouver, BC resident it's nice to welcome folks from the Pacific Northwest to our midst. Take the time to read the postings with a sticky at the top of the first Brazil Forum page, they're packed with most of the information you need to know to make your vacation or expatriating here a success. In particular I recommend that you read my posting A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil it's one of the most informative.

Anything you need, just ask here on the forum we're all here to help.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi, William!

Thank you for your response. The information on your post is simply fantastic! Parts of it are disconcerting, but I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Best,
-M

Don't let the problems of crime and violence worry you too much. If you take the kind of precautions that should be taken when you travel ANYWHERE you will probably never come close to having any problems.

I've been here for 13 years now, lived in 5 different states and in some pretty seedy areas.... I've never had any problems at all and never even stumbled across a major crime scene yet. Right now I live in what is called the "periferia" a lower working class neighborhood. Yes, there is crime here and I hear about it all the time, but I feel safer here than I ever did in São Paulo. It's quiet as a church mouse at night, nobody bothers anybody else here, I don't even lock my doors and there is a window open all the time for our cat.

Here in Brazil, if you don't flaunt what you've got you probably won't get robbed. If you don't do drugs and hang out with those who do, or criminal elements you'll never have any problems either. 80 percent of violent crimes here are "in-house" the drug traffickers taking care of business, cleaning house, settling scores.

Oi,   I am from Arizona USA, so I am use to heat!  But I do not like high humidity and mosquitos!  Please enlighten me as to the humidty for the 4 seasons!     I have been to Florianopolis 17 times!     THANKS!      DOUG

Hi Doug,

Well with a user name like that it's not too difficult to figure out you're from good ol' Yuma AZ so heat isn't going to be a big issue.

Annual High Temps range from a "winter" 28º C (82.4º F) to 33º C (91.4ºF) in "summer" which is in the month of January.

Annual Low Temps range from 21º C (69.8 º F) to 24º C (75.2º F) during those same periods.

Annual rainfall is 1263mm  (49.72in)

If you can't handle the humidity you may have problems adapting to Natal or anywhere in the Northeast. The annual average relative humidity in Natal is a whopping 76%.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team