This is the Manta we saw

For the gringos who dream of beach towns in Ecuador, here is a two minute video of the real Manta.

We rode a lot of buses in Manta and I can vouch that this is what it looks like till you get a few blocks farther out, where the plumbing seems to end altogether.

I did catch a glimpse of the little taverna across the street from the bus terminal where we liked to drink and smoke. Dollar Pilseners and a relaxed ambiance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1FwtkyXmf4

gardener1 wrote:

For the gringos who dream of beach towns in Ecuador, here is a two minute video of the real Manta.

We rode a lot of buses in Manta and I can vouch that this is what it looks like till you get a few blocks farther out, where the plumbing seems to end altogether.

I did catch a glimpse of the little taverna across the street from the bus terminal where we liked to drink and smoke. Dollar Pilseners and a relaxed ambiance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1FwtkyXmf4

For a second I thought I was going to see video you had taken, but I see it is video shot by our friends the Frugals.
P.S.

Did you make it to Machala?   Apparently Machala may be the closest beach town from Cuenca with around a 3 hour drive. It also may be the largest costal town in Ecuador. However, I never hear anyone tallking about.   Someday I will go myself.

Machala no. We had actually intended to visit Montanita but once we had well experienced distance bus trips in Ecuador we decided it was too far.

I learned rather quickly that something that looked only 50km on a map was an easy three hour bus trip.

We went to Puerto Cayo and Puerto Lopez. Both pleasant, I wouldn't want to live in either one. Under-developed doesn't begin to describe most of the Ecuador coast.

As an official old person I have a penchant for indoor plumbing and running water.

Most of the Manta video above is not more than a few blocks from *the beach*. Manta has a long way to go.

So guess you didn't make it down to the La Libertad, and Salinas areas Gardener? Just curious on peoples thoughts on those areas? Looks like from an infrastructure, and amenities perspective they are much more advanced than some of the other areas you mentioned.

Yes, I regret not investigating La Libertdad and Salinas. Considering that Manta is a town of 200,000+ I had expected something with better infrastructure and a few amenities, it is the biggest town on the coast.

When we return the Salinas area will be more our focus. We don't really have plans for settling down, I'd be good with living out of a suitcase for quite some time in furnished rooms. I have no intention of yoking myself to a particular property or a particular place unless I find something that is utterly irresistible. Manta is definitely resistible.

Hi! I live in Manta for almost 8 years and know very well this old part of Manta. But the video is really terrible))) Not like in real life ;)

gardener1 wrote:

Considering that Manta is a town of 200,000+ I had expected something with better infrastructure and a few amenities, it is the biggest town on the coast.

Yeah, it's a big city, but my impression (from what I've read) is that it's pretty industrial -- apparently tuna-canning is the big business there. Also, in most places in the world, the bus terminal is in the grittier part of town.

gardener1 wrote:

I have no intention of yoking myself to a particular property or a particular place ....

The Las Olas developers have asked me to put together a list of Expat-Bloggers who are hot prospects for them. Shall I strike your name from the list?

Bob

Elena Rybina wrote:

I live in Manta for almost 8 years and know very well this old part of Manta. But the video is really terrible))) Not like in real life ;)

The Manta video shows a place that is depressing and uninviting.  Yet you say you know this part of Manta well and the video doesn't depict the real deal.

Please tell us what Manta is like "in real life."

This 2 minute video of the "real Manta" is equivalent to shooting a 2 minute video of the seamiest
and noisiest section of any city and calling it the "real thing". To label this "for ex.pats who want to see coastal towns is a disservice to all. I live in Manta and,enjoy arguably the best weather on the entire coast,which I have traveled extensively,
and know many others who are proud to call Manta their home.Manta has good and bad points as do all small towns and cities.On balance I think Manta compares favourably with comparable retirement or travel destinations around the world. I also have been fortunate enough to have traveled widely around the globe in order to offer this comparison.

Not a flattering view of this city.
What impressed me about Manta
-plans to build golf course
-tennis
-great seafood
-a bit to the north of the heart of the city, things are a bit more run down, therefore, cheaper. Great beach, lots of locals hang out with families on weekend
-found a Sports Bar, met a retired serviceman from the US who lives very comfortably there on his pension