Host on airbnb.com?

Hey everyone,

I live with my girlfriend in a two bedroom apartment in Ho Chi minh city, as we have one free bedroom left, I am considering to rent this room out on airbnb.com. Its a quiet popular website where people can offer their free bedrooms/apartments to tourists.

Has anyone experience with this in Vietnam? Is it legally accepted?

thanks in advanced!

1. Do you own the apartment?
2. The rental area has to be approved by the Cong An;
3. You will have to register every 'guest' as would a hotel;
4. You will need a VAT licence and, likely, a business licence.

Doubt whether you would make it past (2).

Indeed I wont make past 1.
but on airbnb I see foreigners hosting apartments in Ho Chi Minh which I doubt they will fulfill on all regulations.

Great! can i introduce tourists to you?

Zubrowka wrote:

Indeed I wont make past 1.
but on airbnb I see foreigners hosting apartments in Ho Chi Minh which I doubt they will fulfill on all regulations.

Just wait until the Cong An find out!

An opportunity to make a fortune from either the offending apartment owner or from the hotel they are sent to.

I host visitors in my HCM apartment - but I don't charge for it. Last time around it was sisters from Kapuskasing, Ontario.
     ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩

It's not seriously like Jaitch said. You can do it easy because tourists just live for short time and you can say with police or owner that they're your friends (when they go to check). Only one thing you must do : solve problem about owner if you still renting your current apartment.

1/ Take nice photos about your room and apartment and facilities.
2/ Up to Airbnb and become a host.
3/ Check booking from website.

Good Luck

Jaitch is correct in what he says,but he does make it sound worse than what it is. It's a risk you can take, it all comes down to your neighbours, if they put you in it can be trouble. It's also illegal to do it as a local as its deemed as income,as you said there are some expats on there doing it so maybe it's worth a shot.

VinhPham wrote:

It's not seriously like Jaitch said.

Just watch ... and because a few try it, and they will get caught, all the rest of us will suffer from increased Cong An inspections, etc.

Some of the places advertising are hotels and they have no problem. It's Foreigners renting space in an apartment they, in turn are renting. Like Bash, or Rusty. These guys are running businesses!

Foreigners abusing VN rules blatantly, like this, make it harder for the 'squares' who act like guests. The Work Permit clamp down came as a result of abuse.

Internal Security (police) could knock this down in a week - all the evidence is laid out for them.

It wouldn't take much to enforce "name of hotel" on Applications as they used to. If countries in the Schengen Agreement area can do it, ten times easier for VN authorities. The other one is to start requiring visitors to get hotel stamps on an Immigration Form that was also standard a few years ago.

I haven't heard that policemen check apartments suddenly in VN. They are not free like so. They have many bars and hotels to check.

Regards