Which City would you consider best to live and why?

Hello Everybody! :)

So as to have a general idea and help future expatriates to have some infos about different cities in which they could move, this thread has been created to gather some informations from YOU dear members.

Which City do you consider best to live in England?

Do give us your reason why, be it for the Night Life, the Security, or the Price of Rentals,we really need to have a decent idea of why you chose that particular city to live in!

Looking forward to your contribution ;)

Have a great day!

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Unfortunately, I don't live in England, so I don't know which city/town I would suggest. Personally, I wouldn't choose London, because it is too expensive.

Hello NorthernStar

Thanks for your interaction ;)

Did  you ever have the chance to travel to England?

Yes, I have been to London twice, for holiday. London is very nice but it's so expensive. I wouldn't consider it for an expatriation. I would consider a medium dimension town.

Hello Nothernstar

If you know anything about parties, or want to share how you took great times there, which are the things that most pleased you in London, please do not hesitate to participate on this following thread :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 12#2188662

Thank you!

Have a great day
Kenjee

I live in Sheffield and I like it.  If I had to live in another city, it would be Leeds, York, Nottingham, Manchester or Newcastle.  Big cities but beautiful.  I prefer the British people from the north  :P

Hello Joyfik

Thank you for your participation on this thread!

Where in the cities you mentionned do you find the cost of living less expensive?

Regards

wuld love london because there are lot of blacks

Hello friends,

If I am given a chance to choose a place to spend my life, I will choose LEEDS-BRADFORD twin city.

It has the best of both worlds, this is developed and advanced like London , best colleges and universities but inexpensive from cost of houses to used cars, food and restaurants. People are tolerant and friendly and live a very simple life, they know Muslim and Pakistani culture and different communities have blended well in west Yorkshire.

Wonderful countryside with in walking distance form everywhere, only one problem here, residents have a very different and difficult to understand English accent. :)

each city in UK have different style

London is by far the best.

Hello all!

Thank you for your participation on this thread!

Lets say you have to list the TOP 5 Cities , from the most Expensive to the less expensive...

Which will it be???

I am sure London will have the 1st place  :D, what are the other 4?

TOP 5 Most Expensive Cities to live in England ( Cost of living / Everyday life )
1. London

Regards
Kenjee

Portsmouth.

It has  lot of history. It is the only City Island in the U.k..

It also has a good University. A Great beach. Good night life.

Nice walks around the City. A ferry ride away from France and Spain.

People are very freindly. Lots of differnet cultures there.

London 1 1/2 hours up the road.

A good football club.

Rents reasonable.

Good transport systems.

Nice shops.

A lovely place to live

You have not been down South then have you..:)

Past London. Where the D Landings left from.

It is very friendly down here. Nice fresh air from the sea. Lots of things to and see.

Just a ferry ride from France..

Can not be bad. :)

Hello kenjee,

Portsmouth isn't a separate island from the UK, and it is around 4 hours away from London.

In all kindest respects,

Damian  :)

damian11 wrote:

Hello kenjee,

Portsmouth isn't a separate island from the UK, and it is around 4 hours away from London.

In all kindest respects,

Damian  :)

It was Tootsie57 who made that statement not kenjee.

Hi.  I am from NY in the US and my husband was born in the Dominican Republic but lived in NY all his life.  We moves to the Dominican Republic this year to experience his native culture.  We have a 6 year old daughter and thought it would also be good for her to have hands on life experiences and learn about her heritage.  We have decided that in the next 2 years we wish to relocate to either England or Australia and we are trying to gather some information to help us make a better informed choice.  That being said, we were hoping to use your expertise and experiences to answer some questions:

1. What would be the best city to live in with a family?  This should encompass a reasonable rent, good schools,safe neighborhood, public transportation fairly easily accessible and things for a family to do.

2. What are the typical average costs for things like groceries, rent (prefer a 2 or 3 bedroom with private yard) phone, cable, tv, school, clothing, transportation.

3. Do most people have cars or use public transit?
4. How is the job market? 
5. Does anyone have information on qualifying to migrate to Englad/ Great Britian?

I apologize for all of the questions but we will greatly appreciate any information you can provide.

Happy Holidays to all!!!

London ofcourse

This all depends what you wan to do, and how you like to live.
London is the place for wild excitement and the best salaries, but it's really expensive.

York is probably my favourite city in England and, as one poster already mentioned, people in the North tend to be very friendly.
I should declare a bias as I'm from the North.

hi
    totally agree. i live in england also.
a few suggestions;
                              1. manchester - airport links, good shopping, nightlife, hotels,etc
                              2  sheffield - as above plus road and rail links.
                              3. birmingham.   
                              4. liverpool - music, culture, architecture,
                              5  huddersfield - countryside / peak district,etc
                              6. leeds - most of above.

I wanna live Middlesbrough. .....coz its heart problum

I think london
But is expensive
Yet best place to b in england

naveed ahmed wrote:

I wanna live Middlesbrough. .....coz its heart problum

Not sure what you are trying to say....please say again thank you.

In March, I am going to move in Durham (in the north of England) for a short stay (three months) and I'm itching to visit it! Does anyone know something about this little city?

Hello,
I understand some of you know Bradford. I have been reading very bad reviews about Bradford itself, people on surveys are very disappointed, they say there is risk to stabbed on the train or be assaulted, especially if woman or old.
Is it really like this?
I should move there for work reasons, but, I am really afraid. Are there any elegant and nice areas?
Hopefully is not so bad as described on internet and journals.

Hi Damian,

Portsmouth is a Island. I live there. It is called Portsea Island. You have to cross water to get on to it.

It is only 1hr 30 mins from London. I do not know which Portsmouth you are talking about.

It is right down South,

Coz my beloved live there..so its hear problum

Hi Damian,

Please take note!!!!!!           

Portsea Island in Portsmouth, England
Portsea Island is a small, flat and low lying island just off the south coast of England. The island is totally within, and contains a large proportion of, the city of Portsmouth. Wikipedia.

See it is a Island.

i love Sheffield. i like everyday in Sheffield .

What do you love about it? What does it have, that other cities don't have?

i also wish to stay in UK...
which is the easiest way to be in uk..
am an accountant from Dubai but with indian passport....

I would have to say london. Given the fact that its the only place I've visited. I loved how all the museums are free. I loved where I stayed,by Buckingham palace and how I could walk to picadilly circus and to the theatre.  The bad part of it was a spent almost all of my inheritance in Europe. But well worth it!!!

1. London
2. Manchester
3. Bristol
4. Liverpool/Birmingham/Oxford/Cheltenham

London. If you can afford it.

There is no one answer to this question, it depends on the individual and their requirements.

That's true. We all have different expectations and requirements.

If you could share with us which are the requirements that makes you choose the city in which you live, that would be also helpful ;)

Kenjee
Expat.com team

London is my choice. Pros: easy to go around (no need to have a car), night life, entertainment, easier to find jobs, people's mindset (away more open minded than the rest of the UK), if you speak more than 1 language you can get a job out of it, multicultural.
Contra: super expensive life expense (particularly rent and food), the weather is pretty bad :/ and crazy rush hour in the morning (8-9am) and in the evening (5-7pm).

Hello,

On one hand, London has by far the most on offer in terms of what you could do during your leisure time.
On the other hand, London has the highest rental prices I have ever seen. All the other living costs are reasonable, but far away from being cheap.
--> If you have a good job with a good income, you will love London. But if you struggle with money, you may have a very hard time.

Cheers :)

my fav cities in UK

1-Edinbrugh

2-Manchster

3-Blackpool

4-Birmingham

5-London