Moving to the USA with a criminal record.

I am planning to move to the USA in the next few years after I graduate university to be with the woman I love.

However, I have an upcoming criminal trail. I do not expect a prison sentence however it is for a rather serious matter that will result in my having a criminal record.

Will this permanently ban me from entrance/immigration to the USA?

There's no way to know. The only one that can help you is a good immigration lawyer. If the charge is the equivalent of a felony, you should talk to an experienced immigration lawyer.

Not if you get elected.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Not if you get elected.

He said that he wanted to move to the US, not become a politician. In this case, yes. He'd need a criminal record.  ;)

rossnotross wrote:

I am planning to move to the USA in the next few years after I graduate university to be with the woman I love.

However, I have an upcoming criminal trail. I do not expect a prison sentence however it is for a rather serious matter that will result in my having a criminal record.

Does the woman you love know about your criminal record ?

Not all criminal convictions create ineligibility to enter the US, but any past criminal record must be disclose.
Check with the local US embassy for guidance.

happyhour wrote:

Is that any of our business?

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
happyhour wrote:

Is that any of our business?

Of course not, but something he should think about.
USA has the highest incarceration rate in the world, so being a criminal in the USA is just business as usual.  It seems a felony equivalent or drug-related would be the big problems.
Back in 1970 possession of less than an oz of weed was a felony, meant you were morally unfit to be drafted into the US Army. (see Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie for details)

You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant ( excepting Alice).............. :lol:

What is the criminal charge?

mugtech wrote:

Back in 1970 possession of less than an oz of weed was a felony, meant you were morally unfit to be drafted into the US Army. (see Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie for details)

That's crazy.  That seems like the army was rewarding people.

Have you considered going to trial on the possibility that you might be found not guilty?  Can you perhaps plead to a lesser offense?

The US Embassy generally states that they cannot provide any further guidance on this matter until the applicant appears in person before a consular officer for a visa application interview.  So, go ahead and apply, and if denied, your next step is to apply for a waiver of the permanent ineligibility from the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

At the moment, if you have ebola we would love to have you, this increases your chances of getting in. Good luck the grass in greener but only in certain parts.

as far as know yes, if you are a convicted felon you can forget ever seeing the good ole US of A in person-- I suggest you just go onto the US Immigration website---it will give you the whole lowdown

graciegjj wrote:

At the moment, if you have ebola we would love to have you, this increases your chances of getting in. Good luck the grass in greener but only in certain parts.

Unless you're a nurse.  Then you get quarantined.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
graciegjj wrote:

Unless you're a nurse.  Then you get quarantined.

I tried to get quarantined with a nurse, but my sincere request was denied

rossnotross wrote:

And one month later he has not responded to this thread.  GOOD LUCK!!

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
mugtech wrote:

That's crazy.  That seems like the army was rewarding people.

It was ironic that many of the personnel already in Vietnam were smoking weed or worse.  Some states took it more seriously, people in Texas got 10 years for possession of two joints.  If you stayed in college you were not eligible for the draft until you graduated, thus the proliferation of 7 year plans.  You could also avoid SE Asia by enlisting in the National Guard, for with a draft no National Guard units were called up, thus Bush 43 fought the war in Texas and Alabama while members of the real air force spent years in the Hanoi Hilton.  The last thing any war ever is is fair.

It's not just not fair, it's telling people who don't want to be drafted that they can't be drafted if they keep doing something they want to do.  Why would the army shoot themselves in the foot like that?

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

It's not just not fair, it's telling people who don't want to be drafted that they can't be drafted if they keep doing something they want to do.  Why would the army shoot themselves in the foot like that?

At the time they needed to be sure they were drafting loyal rules followers so they could burn villages and kill women and children.  Being in the US Army, in their opinion, was not punishment but a chance to spread freedom and liberty with an M1.