Travel around Solomons

Hi all :)

I have not been to the Solomon Islands yet and I can't find any information about how to travel within and between the islands? Without a drivers licence that is.

Are there bus services or just hitchhiking?

What is the cheapest way to travel between islands?

Also I'm a girl, will I get any problems?

Thanks in advance :)
Dani

Hello Danielle.
Traveling around the Solomon's requires car/bus. which is an overcrowded minivan or a taxi .
To get to the different islands there are ships that go or small planes to some provinces these however can vary from daily services to weekly services.
Getting around Honiara is best by taxi for small distances with a trusted driver.
I have travelled to and around almost every major and minor island group working for a company and myself .
I don't recommend a single lady doing this on her own , without a trusted  person to assist .
The real beauty of the Solomon's is in the provinces and not in Honiara . I have found and shared some of the most memorable moments of my life in the Solomon's and recommend to an adventure seeker to do the same .
If you are looking for catered holiday experience these are also available there too but a bit expensive compared to other holiday destinations in neighbouring countries. Best of luck and if you are needing specific destination advise happy to help.
Maliata.     

Thank you very much for responding Maliata, it was really helpful to hear from you :)

I am going West and would love to stop off at Tetepare but the boat transfers they arrange seem to have astronomical prices (S$1900 from Munda, S$2000 to Seghe) is that an average cost? Or would i be able to find something more within my budget?

Thank you,
Danielle :)

Hello Danielle
It has been a while since I last travelled to the west. and yes the cost of the fares were as expensive as flying from Australia to the Solomon. I cant really comment on those prices you posted. but it boggles me how they will ever properly establish a  tourist industry if every thing is that expensive. Good luck on your travel plans ,And believe that beyond all the costs and B/S there is a lot of beautiful places and experiences to be had.
All the  best
Maliata