Any advice for finding a job outside KL?

Im really not interested in living in a place thats so polluted but Id love to live elsewhere in Malaysia.
Any advice on finding positions outside KL? ive been searching around for a few days without any luck.

Thanks!

Same issues everywhere in Malaysia in terms of difficulty in finding jobs and pollution. The pollution can often be mistaken for water vapour rising during the Monsoon seasons. Only professional areas where work may be available are IT, oil and gas, mass transport construction engineering, industry or scientific speciaists qualified/experienced educators and language teachers. Minimum salary is RM5k per month to qualify for an employment pass. Minimum age is 27 or 23 for IT. Must have degree and at least 2 years relevant working experience.

Check out Michael Page and Robert Walters for vacancies that may be open to foreigners.

Oh my.... oops. I obviously should have stated which field I'm hoping to work in haha. Sorry... its been a long day.
I was hoping to find ESL teaching jobs in Malaysia

1. Part time or full time positions available. Preferable native English speaker. Must have the appropriate training; CELTA or TEFL preferred. Offering a competitive salary. Please contact Mr. Ng @ 013 2062700 or [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Sequ … 3435788609

2. Hi everyone, our language centre is now recruiting CELTA qualified native English teachers to join our professional and dynamic team for short-term and long-term positions. Starting date 1st September. Competitive salary. Please let me know if you or someone you know would be interested. Emails for further information and CVs can be sent to: [email protected] Thanks! www.elitlc.com

3. This college http://newolympiaweb.olympia.edu.my/ is currently looking for an English teacher to teach their senior students.

Email: [email protected] or call 0320503686 for more details. :)

4. I am inviting applications for the following positions within our newly established language centre in the heart of KL.

- CELTA certified language trainers.
- Marketing professionals.
- Administration staff.
-Potential agents wishing to cover specific regions.

Kindly email your resume's to: [email protected]

Thank you very much for that, I will take a look. I am not interested in working in KL though.
While really I appreciate the effort.. would know know of anywhere I can find these sorts of opportunities myself? I would hate to bother you for every position I look into ;)

But there probably wont be jobs outside KL and the Klang Valley because that is where the clients and language schools are based. On Penang island there are plenty of Malaysian Chinese whose first language is English. So unlikely you would get work. I am sure you can Google lists of language schools in various cities. But you wont escape the pollution anywhere in Malaysia, because its caused by the fuels used in vehicles and factories and plantations as well as neighbours like Indonesia burning off rice paddies (also happens in Malaysia up in Kedah). Malaysia is not a paradise on earth by any means. It is pretty filthy from street level up.

ah ok, thanks for the information. I was beginning to assume that as all my searching leads to KL. I taught in China for a few years and I expected there to be jobs outside of the major cities in Malaysia as there is in China.
To be clear i don't care if the ground is dirty, I'm just growing more and more concerned about air quality when  considering my next destination. i just assumed less traffic = less pollution so I was hoping to find something outside of KL.

My only real information on air quality in KL was from landing there a few times on a stop over, I saw enough to tell me I should probably look elsewhere hehe.

Thanks again for your efforts :)

There are a few budding international schools in Negeri Sembilan. Maybe you can give them a try.
Its about 70 km south of KL

Thank you very much :)
Ill take a look

Edit: I met a friend in Vietnam who is also interested in teaching in Malaysia. We were considering going together however she does not have a degree. Whats the situation with working in Mayalsia as an ESL teacher without a degree?

Is it possible?

The degree is usually required by immigration to apply for an employment pass. An individual employer will be able to say best what experience they have had with trying to employ people without this minimum requirement. So maybe the school might be happy with many years of experience, but immigration authorities will reject the candidate.

So immigration might turn down the visa application? Ok, thanks

Yes, it can happen, but that is part of the initial process, whereby the school has to submit the position and the person to immigration to get initial permission. The actual employment pass is then put into the passport after arrival. Some nationalities have to use the visa with reference to enter the country, others come on normal immigration methods. You can read about the process here:

Immigration website - go to Main Services / Expatriates for further information on the 1st and 2nd stage.

The minimum monthly salary is RM5k. It is important to check that a langage school intends to offer you an employment pass, and they know that you are not a trailing spouse who already has a dependents permit and can have it endorsed by immigration (same process as for employment pass in terms of requirements and paperwork) so they can work.

thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it.
Ill take a look, thanks!

Hi Scott,

Hope my input won't be too late for you. In Penang island itself has plenty of  international school. You mat try your luck. the following is the list of school.

1. Tenby International School
2. Dalat International School
3. Prince of Wales International School
4. Pelita School
5. St Christopher's Internation Promary School
6. Strait International School
7. Uplands International School.

Good Luck

Donald

Hi,I hope.you are doing good.i am planning traveling to Malaysia next month so I want to hook up with you when I arrive in Malaysia.thank you

Hi Uplands is a real school won't employ un qualified teachers (a celta isn't a. Teaching qualification). Some like the prince of wales has very few students and a crazy management so I hear from teachers running from the place. Again though I very much doubt they employ any unqualified teachers. Others I never heard of apart from Tenby that might hire unqualified teachers.

Tefl in Malaysia for a decent job means either British council or one of the MOE funded jobs in local schools.

The good news is there are many tefl jobs training local teachers in rural areas under MOE funded positions. Brighton education are one of the employers for this. You have to have real experience and be good and gave at least a Celta of course but made a real change to the tefl scene as language schools pay slave wages and in Malaysia lots of locals are available to teach efl.

I have a couple of friends working in Malaysia with Brighton ed from my tefl teaching period donkey years ago. Pay is about 8k RM a month ok in a rural area. But Malaysia isn't south Korea, China or Thailand (well less now) where tefl jobs are easy to get. But with good experience quite doable in a rural area.