Mauritian Nationality by Descent

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am looking forward to be registered as a mauritian citizen by descent and I would like to know if it would be possible taking into consideration my present factors:

1) I am 25 years of age, Male
2) Only my mother is Mauritian
3) I have been born outside the country of  my citizenship and have lived here all my life and so has my mother since marriage

Looking forward your soonest resonse.

Regards

A person born outside Mauritius is a citizen of Mauritius under section 20(3) and 23 of the Constitution if either of his parents is a citizen of Mauritius by birth .

You can have more info on:
http://pmo.gov.mu/English/dha/Mandate/P … NSHIP.aspx

you can also find citizenship application form there.

regards

From my own experience, It is possible but I believe it is harder to achieve after the age of 18 or 21. Possibly something to do with being of indipendece age but things may have changed. I did mine when I was 17 and I'm now 29 and it was no problem. Father is Mauritian and Mother is English. Speak to the Mauritius embassy.

rare.human wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am looking forward to be registered as a mauritian citizen by descent and I would like to know if it would be possible taking into consideration my present factors:

1) I am 25 years of age, Male
2) Only my mother is Mauritian
3) I have been born outside the country of  my citizenship and have lived here all my life and so has my mother since marriage

Looking forward your soonest resonse.

Regards

FWIW: Looks like you are born in India , correct?
Thus , you may have to check with the Indian Govt first before applying for another citizenship since the INdian govt does not allow dual citizenship.

As far as Mauritian citizenship, this subject has been covered over the yrs  and just by doing a search you will find the pertinent threads. the latest one was  ~ Jan 2014.

Same age and circumstances and got mine this year :)

Hello Korn1,

I appreciate your kind response. How long did it take you to get one and what are the documents they required?

Regards :)

Dear Hussein,

Thank you for your kind post :)

Dear Jaygoldmoto,

Thank you for your kind reply :)

Dear External,

I appreciate your post, however it wasn't much informative, or it did not answer my question.

I am a British Passport holder, not Indian, and I am of mixed race.

I have conducted a thorough research online, and have called in the Mauritian high commision in London. However it was not much helpful. I have retrieved the documents for Act 20 article 3 and Act 23 of the Mauritain Constitution. However it wasn't clear for my circumstances. Also, upon conduting a more thorough reserach, I end up with the same link to the Mauritan govt website which is not much informative.

I would appreciate if you could please post the link to which you are mentioning.

"People of Mauritian Descent or foreign birth should bring:
(i) Birth Certificate of country of birth (original or photocopy, any format)
(ii) Passport
(iii) Proof of Address/Proof of Address Form (not older than 3 months)
(iv) Existing ID card or Police Memo (if existing ID card is lost)
(v) Prime Minister's Office Letter/Certifcate"

:) Also you will need your Mothers birth certificate  (make sure that your birth certificate is unabridged). I think that is it

It took around a week for me to get the card

rare.human wrote:

Dear External,

I appreciate your post, however it wasn't much informative, or it did not answer my question.

I am a British Passport holder, not Indian, and I am of mixed race.
Well I apologize for that since initially ( in your original post) you had the Indian flag as your  location . Thus my assumptions.
I have conducted a thorough research online, and have called in the Mauritian high commision in London. However it was not much helpful. I have retrieved the documents for Act 20 article 3 and Act 23 of the Mauritain Constitution. However it wasn't clear for my circumstances. Also, upon conduting a more thorough reserach, I end up with the same link to the Mauritan govt website which is not much informative.

I would appreciate if you could please post the link to which you are mentioning.

First your mother has to prove her mauritian citizenship since I believe that she may not be in Mauritius.
Thus , she will need a new birth certificate to apply for a new Citizen Identification Card ( thus proving her Mauritian citizenship) .
Once she has that, you will need the marriage certificate  of your parents.
With her ID card , the marriage certificate, your parents birth certificates  and all the documents listed by Korn1 ( or what they require on the govt. site), then you can apply for your own citizenship.
Since you are older than 18 ( thus not a minor)  and your mum may not have registered you at  the nearest Mauritian Embassy or High Commission when you were born, it will take awhile for the Govt to issue your citizenship certificate. For sure , not a week unless you know someone at the PMO !!! ( a fact not a myth- just the reality on the island) .

Hi

Am so happy to have found this site.

My father is Mauritian Indian and my mother Italian.

I married a Mauritian in 1990 but returned to UK soon after. We sadly divorced not long after.

He has not had any input in her life but my daughter has the full love and unconditional support of my side of the family.

We are going to Mauritius in December, her 1ST VISIT in all her life.

My daughter is 25 and a half and now would like to apply for dual nationality.

I have called Mauritian High Commission in London and not given much details.

I just wanted to know if there is a cut off point for applying for dual nationality.

I'm not great at searching on websites. I found this site by fluke or I prefer to say FATE xxx

I'd be grateful if anyone could attach useful links.

Kind regards and thank you all in advance.

X

@ X

Were you born in Mauritius?
If not, her mauritian father has to give her all the required ID  and birth certificate for her to apply under the Jus Sanguinis . You won't be able to apply for her .

If you were born in Mauritius then you will have to follow the steps as listed in post #12.

There is a link in post #2 also for your queries and also you can search on this forum by typing "dual citizenship or mauritian nationality" in the search window above

Mauritian by descent??
hello me and my wife both have lived in the uk for 10 years and are both Mauritian. My son was born in the UK and is now 6 years old. He has never been to Mauritius nor have we ever registered him as a Mauritian citizen through registration. I would like to know his legal status right now? Do you have to register absolutely to be a Mauritian citizen? if no registration has been done does that mean the child born abroad by Mauritian parents is stateless. Legally what is his current status if he has not been registered ever anywhere?

Good Afternoon,

If you both are Mauritian then he is by descent Mauritian . :)

He is entitled to it that I know but Don't we need to register him in order to claim Mauritian nationality for him? What if we never register him? What if he never goes to Mauritius? From what I read in the constitution i have to make an application in the prescribed manner to get him registered by virtue of section 23 or section 20(c). Hence my question if no application is made for registration is he currently stateless?

Hmmm I was never registered and just applied  :/  Though I am much older so I see where you are coming from.

Also what do you mean by stateless ?

I meant if he has to be registered to claim and acquire Mauritian nationality by not registering him then surely legally he is without nationality hence stateless. Legally is this correct?

kingdadav84 wrote:

I meant if he has to be registered to claim and acquire Mauritian nationality by not registering him then surely legally he is without nationality hence stateless. Legally is this correct?

How can he be stateless if he is born in the UK and has citizenship?  :/

state·less
ˈstātləs/
adjective
(of a person) not recognized as a citizen of any country.

He is NOT considered Mauritian yet but call the Mauritian High Commission or the consular office in London to get all the info required to register him before he reaches his 18th birthday.

he was born in uk but he does not have citizenship yet.

So how are you living in the UK ? or does any of this apply to you as parents?

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983, you'll be a British citizen if your mother or father was either:

a British citizen when you were born
‘settled' in the UK when you were born
‘Settled' means you can stay in the UK without any time restrictions. This includes people who have one of the following:

‘right of abode'
‘indefinite leave to remain'

permanent residence as an European Economic Area (EEA) national
In most cases you'll be a British citizen if your mother or father was born in the UK or naturalised there at the time of your birth.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nat … itizenship

Hi  Guys,
Loving this site , just found it and hopefully some help/advice ?

I was born in England to English white mother and my biological father from Mauritius , however they never stayed together and I subsequently found out he was married at the time with young family so my mother was extra marital affair.
Sadly he passed away in late 1980's - I only got this information from my mum about 10 years ago as we never ever spoke about who my father was ( I am mid 40'snow)
I tried to make contact with his family , who denied my claims , however he remarried and his 2nd wife confirmed that he spoke about having me as part of his affair.
From a Nationality point of view , I have no substantial evidence he is my father unless i get dna tested from me and his first son ? Do I have any official links to his home place of birth and early residence in Mauritius ?
Hope someone can advise,
Thanks in advance,
K (fires999)

What?? This doesn't make sense, if your born in UK surely you will be registered as a uk / British citizen at birth 🙁

Sam,

If you are born in the UK, you become British Citizen only if one of the parents or grandparents is British.

well, that was the law when I was there in 2012.