Teaching in French schools (not tesol)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there is teaching in a french school? I would like to move to france in a couple of years and teach but was wondering how hard it might be and what I might need?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Tim

Teachers in the French stae schools are civil servants - so this avenue is virtually impossible for you.

However, private schools have grown rapidly in number this century - and many have sections where pupils with a good knowledge of English are taught some subjects in English.

There are also a number of international schools.

But English teaching in France is still traditional - so I would use capitals in words such as France, French, and English if you contact anyone.

What subject do you teach? To what level? How is your French?

Thanks for the answer to my post.

I feared as much. We are in the same boat here in aUSTRALIA. All teachers in the state system are public servants also.

I have heard about an exam called CAPES. Apparently it is attached to a one year uni course. I suppose it might be the French equivalent of a Graduate Diploma. And the CAPES process the French equivalent to our interview/exam process for entry into the state system.

Ho hum!! Much to look into.

Many thanks again.

Tim Leckie

Hi, I might be able to help. I've been living in France since 2001 and taught English in French primary school for 4 years. You don't need a qualification ,just English and french, and basically you're employed on a yearly contract and go round various schools near to your home. It's not brilliant pay and unfortunately in public schools they've cut back enormously to save money and now its the real teachers who do it. Private schools there may be more help - contact the schools directly.
For public you need to contact the "rectorat" of the area you want to live in who are attached to the "Academie" of the major town nearby.
If you're looking to be a general teacher and not just English then you'll need to do the CAPES which is another story altogether and is extremely difficult - basically you'll need to have been in french education to have any possibility of nearly passing it!
Don't hesitate to contact me if you need more info!Good Luck!

Hi.. I'm in Toulouse for past two years..
I completed Master degree in Microbiology in India & did my DELF(basic) level in French ... Is there any possibility for me to work now?

Hello! If you are not already qualified you may want to have a look at our TEFL course in Toulouse. Our ex graduates have found work privately, in local universities (yes) and language schools , although it's true that getting into secondary school work is almost impossible unless you take the CAPES route - and even then the state will often send you to cut your teeth up in the Paris suburbs.  Just a suggestion, maybe its not the route you want to take. Good luck anyway! Jonathan tefltoulouse.com

I came across your post by chance and hope that my reply is not too late to be of use.
I taught English in England, having done an English Literature degree, and then took early retirement to come and live in France.
I have never studied French, although I was fluent when I arrived.
Pretty soon after arriving, I realized I'd like to teach, but definitely NOT TEFL.  Everyone (and I made loads of enquiries) told me that it was all but impossible to get into the state system.
I have not found that to be the case.  I contacted the académie, who asked me to get my English qualifications validated (there is an agency for this), but said that they would like me to be available for supply teaching.  They did not make me wait for the validation to happen (it's simple, but takes ages) and my phone never stopped ringing.  I have had several posts in French schools - from a week to many months - and have also been offered a permanent full-ime post.  Some of the schools have been 'public' and some 'private' (i;e; under contract to the state.)  This has given me a wonderful experience of French education, a fair salary and made me feel part of 'the system', as only being 'properly' employed tends to do.
If you have fluent French, and if you are prepared to teach English, you will not find ANY difficulty in getting into the French system.
If you would like any additional info, don't hesitate to contact me (I've only just joined this forum, but I imagine private messages are possible.)
I wish you the very best of luck!

Hi Pabster,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that you posted on an old thread but thank you for the sharing of information.

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team