Barwa City - Agood place to live?

Hi ExPat friends. I have been offered to think of accepting a job in Doha and the company have offered to house me in Barwa City in a 3 bed apartment. I have tried searching but I think because it is new maybe I cant find out much about it. So, please help. What do you know is it a good place to live, as in house size, utilities clean etc... and what about shops, restaurants even leisure. Thanks in advance.

Hello 1967tazz,

I hope that other members will be able to give you some useful information very soon.

Are you moving alone to Doha please?

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

No Priscilla, I would not be moving alone, my wife and children would also be with me.

Here you go Barwa City Abu humour industrial area

Hi,
I'm Hameed and I'm living in Barwa City, Abu Hamour.
First of all, it is a good quiet place to live. Housing is good and clean. No problems in maintenance and house keeping.
Rooms are fairly good with built in lockers.
If you are used to live in suburbs of big cities, it is not different from middle class suburb of a big city.
Facilities are not yet available. No supermarket yet. The Lulu hypermarket is already done but not open yet. It may be open soon. The only available hypermarket (for the time being) near is the Safari Hypermarket in the industrial area, about 10 minutes by a car or 15 Rials for a taxi.
No entertainment facilities are yet available.
For schools, there is only one international school (Newoton International school) which is pretty expensive .... 14,000 Rials for one semster ...... 42,000 for the whole year ! ..... Nearest school complex is about 15 minutes driving.
I think that is all what is needed to be known about the city. If you like a peaceful quiet place, that is it ! ..... It is a huge change for the better in comparison of the noisy overcrowded Cairo Egypt, where I came from!

Thank you Hameedhh,

So I take it you are happy on Barwa City? Are all the utilities included in the cost ie.. Electric, A/C, Internet and pay TV? Also can I ask are there swimming pools available on Barwa City? and finally, sorry.. how far is it to a beech?

The costs of water, electricity and gas are paid per consumption and are not included in the rent. Air conditioning is central , you just have to start the fan at your own exit ! For the internet, you have to subscribe with a local ISP, usually it is Vodaphone ..... They just install the wireless modem with the landline.
No swimming pools of course .... Nearest beach is in Wakra, about 20 minutes drive ...... It is a family beach, that means you are not allowed to get in unless you have your family with you, but on a western scale, you would not like it! It is just an "islamic" beach where women get into the sea wearing the "burka" !
There is another beach, about on hour drive at "Al-Khor", but I do not know much about it!
Doha city with all its hotels is about half an hour drive and every hotel has its own swimming pool where western style swimming suits are not considered extraordinary or exotic !

Hi, Barwa city is a nice place if you have a car.  The souk and the nearest mall which is safari can only be reached if you have transport. Barwa city is a new development and very clean but on the outskirts of the city, that is the major problem I foud with it it. The supermarket which was due to open last year in Barwa is still not open so if your told it will be opening very soon don't hold your breath!

However, there are some good people living in Barwa city who are all very helpful and will help you settle in. They are all mainly teachers in Barwa CIty working at either Newton or one of the schools owned by Tallum.

If you need a reliable cab drivers number I can send you te details.

Are dogs allowed in Barwa city?

Hi,

I went to view a flat there and they are quite nice depending on if you get a spacious one or not, and as you have been offered a three bed fat It obviously is. The Barwa cIty complex when complete is going to have many well known shops in the mall part below the flats and if you have seen how long the building is you will be able to work out that there are gonna be many shops. So at least you won't have to go far to get your food shopping etc.

Hope that helps

Dawud