Hey, Buddy, Want an iPhone ... real cheap!

For reasons beyond comprehension, Apple iPhones are frequently stolen and offered for sale on the streets of many cities, especially in Pham Ngu Lao in HCM's backpacker slum.

In future, before buying iThingies from dubious sources, pop on over to Apples Apple Activation Lock Status Check, enter the serial number or IMEI of the potentially 'hot' goods and see if the offer is good.

Hi Jaitch,

You are right about Pham Ngu Lao street.

I was in Bui Vien last night and I saw a lady who sells lottery tickets took a nice helmet and went around. Wonder why policemen don't do anything in this area. Bui vien is complicated now.

Regards

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Wonder why policemen don't do anything in this area. Bui vien is complicated now.

There are two store front police stations there - but the Cong An are always on sleeping watch. They wake up around closing hours when they collect their 'pensions'.

Jaitch wrote:
Dejavu.dot wrote:

Wonder why policemen don't do anything in this area. Bui vien is complicated now.

There are two store front police stations there - but the Cong An are always on sleeping watch. They wake up around closing hours when they collect their 'pensions'.

Why you dont show them how to do the Job?

AustriaKarl wrote:

Why you don't show them how to do the Job?

When you've been here long enough, you'll know what they do. One thing for sure, they sure know how to 'collect' their tithes from businesses, and they don't need lessons.

My friend just told me something happened in the morning. One tourist's S3 was stolen by the owner of the diner/restaurant but no one dared to say so to her. Poor lady!

One of our team leaders in Laos bought a Chinese copy iPhone for 40 USD. It came with a 7 day warranty.

And verily on the night of the sixth day, it worketh not. And the sixth day was Saturday. And the phone shop was not open on Sunday. And there was a wailing and a gnashing of teeth.

eodmatt wrote:

One of our team leaders in Laos bought a Chinese copy iPhone for 40 USD. It came with a 7 day warranty.

And verily on the night of the sixth day, it worketh not. And the sixth day was Saturday.

Engineered obsolescence. If they can do it with springs - failing after so many operations, imagine how easy it is with smart electronics.

eodmatt wrote:

And verily on the night of the sixth day, it worketh not. And the sixth day was Saturday. And the phone shop was not open on Sunday. And there was a wailing and a gnashing of teeth.

Thus Steve-yah, God of thine holy iPhone thus smote your friend for sampling the forbidden Android knockoff, for Steve-yah is a jealous God, who holds the sacred patents, like the many coins in His purse.  I hope that your friend will go and sin no more.

Hi Jaitch!
Where else here in hanoi can I buy that cheap iphone? Or exclusively in hcmc. Give me more infos.

Thanks...

uolam3579 wrote:

Where else here in hanoi can I buy that cheap iphone? Or exclusively in hcmc. Give me more infos.

You'll have to ask a local Vietnamese person, I try to avoid Ha Noi when I can and never buy anything there.