Future Expat wonders about medical ins as EU member (Italian passport)

I'm new here - this being my initial posting - I'm a possible Expat from the USA who needs to know if there are any advantages for me medically speaking (Insurance etc) by virtue of my EU membership (Italian passport)

I also would like to get to know people here over time and am hopeful of engaging in some nice conversation...........thank you .........Filippo

Hi Filippo,

your Italian passport will not give you any medical insurance advantages. For residency purposes you will have to have to pay for your health insurance coverage unless you have an entitlement to free treatment ( an Italian state pension for example).

Cheers
Ricky

ricky ......thank you very much for the informed response.

May I trouble again with a related question? - I wonder if you happen to know - in a general way - the average cost for a decent plan for a single retiree. I just need a rough idea.

I do have full coverage here in the US through my Veterans benefits and those same benefits are applicable in Europe in the sense that they'll pay for treatment and doctor visits etc., but there is 'paperwork' and some degree of red-tape as well as some restrictions so I don't want to get caught off guard in some unforeseen circumstance, so I'd much rather rely on a good medical plan in Malta as long as it isn't too costly.  Thanks again........Fillipo

Hi Filippo,

the Foreign Medical Program for veterans is limited to service - connected issues and is as such not a private health insurance and would not be excepted in Malta for residency purposes as you have to be covered for all possible costs (accidents,cancer and so on)

A private health insurance depends on age and excludes coverage of costs relating to pre-existing conditions.

The cost of a private health insurance for residence purposes would be somewhere between 300 and 600 €/year if you are under 60. Over 60's are not accepted as new customers but referred to UK insurances which are a lot more expensive.

Cheers
Ricky

Well that just about does it then. So now I know what I need w/respect to medical care and proper coverage and how how to go about acquiring it all - thanks to you. Your Blog is a true blessing for those of us in need of a way to get rolling on the final leg of our life's journey - for me at least. Thank you for the kind assistance....F