Help students for American Literature :((

my lecturer asked us to find the story Rip Van Winkle of W. Irving. But when we look for it on the Internet, there are many versions of this story. we are really confused now, because it is hard to find a original book of this one in Vietnam :( could you guys help me with the original story? any kind of link on the Internet or something. Many thanks :)

ngoc anh nguyen thi wrote:

my lecturer asked us to find the story Rip Van Winkle of W. Irving. But when we look for it on the Internet, there are many versions of this story. we are really confused now, because it is hard to find a original book of this one in Vietnam :( could you guys help me with the original story? any kind of link on the Internet or something. Many thanks :)

I have a Dutch friend and I will write and ask her if she can send me the original (Dutch) version. Do you need it in Dutch or English?

Here is a PDF scan that you can trust:

https://ia700306.us.archive.org/35/item … 00irvi.pdf

omg! many tks. i need english version, please :D. u dunt have to write all the story. it is so good for me already if you just give me the summary. i can find the whole by the Internet :) be cause I just being confused by the content of many versions

many many thanks DanfromSF <3

You're welcome.  It's a classic story that most westerners are familiar with, even if they have not read it.  Basically, a man falls asleep for 20 years and when he wakes he finds everybody he knew is either dead or unrecognizable.  It's not a complicated story, but the writing might be difficult, because they use language from the 1700s.  Congratulations for reading that!  I bet most people in the US never have.

Rip Van Winkle (book)

If you need students notes, re-post

many many tks all of you <3
i cant read that link SF@ :( but i got ur summary :) now we can find it easily. tks all for helping <3

Try this website:  http://www.bartleby.com/310/2/1.html

If you still have problem, send me a private message and I can email you the text.

And apologies from me to the OP because I misread the requirement and assumed that you wanted the original legend rather than  the story by the American author. That'il teach me not to read expatblog on my iphone!

many many tks all of you
i cant read that link SF@ but i got ur summary :) now we can find it easily. tks all for helping

Check your PM as well.