Ha Long Bay

Hi, I am interested in learning the most reasonable way if touring Ha Long Bay. Funds are limited but perhaps an overnight boat trip is affordable. I plan on staying in Ha Long city the middle of December and am wondering if it is possible to purchase tour tickets directly from the boats or tour companies at a pier.

Thank you

Yes, you can purchase tickets in HLB.

BUT check out the boat you are sailing on physically. Shopping for price doesn't buy you the best.

Inquire about food (and who cooks it - a greasy engine room hand?); where you sleep (some boats dump you ashore in a cheap hotel); safety (life jackets, decent radios [white round dome on the roof); does the crew dress/behave professionally; does the electricity stay on all night (cheaper boats turn the power off around 23.00H)?

It might be called a 'bay' but you should treat it as open sea, some of the storms there are quite impressive and boats have sunk along with tourists on them.

Leave everything you won't need in the hotel you are staying at on land and assume everything is for grabs/theft. Leave your passport behind but carry a photocopy.

The land between Ha Long City (actually two cities and a bridge) and the Chinese border is very beautiful and few tourists go there.

Thank you!!

Yes, please share the contacts and recommended cruises you have experience with or know about.

my.nh wrote:

Hi,

Many choices of overnight cruise on Ha Long Bay, you can book directly to boat company or tour operator however if you book direct the price is higher than the tour company. You can shop and check which is the best for you. If you need some boat company i can advise, i and my wife also stayed 2 nights on boat, this was cool and enjoy so much

Regards,
My Nguyen

Yes, please share the contacts and recommended cruises you have experience with or know about.

A mid-price Ha Long Bay tour is definitely worth the money in terms of the increased quality of the food and the service.

They are better organised to handle schedule changes, fewer passengers aboard the boat, the cabins are better appointed, and activities are much more well-planned and well-coordinated.

Do not take a tour that dumps you on Cat Ba Island overnight - they are rip-off tours.

Great seafood restaurants on Cat Ba. But the electricity can be dodgy. Take flashlights.

ALWAYS KNOW BOAT SAFETY FEATURES ESPECIALLY WHERE YOUR LIFE JACKET IS (I take my own).