Hungarian Citizenship -How long the process takes upon doc submission?

Hi All,

I am Indian living in Hungary, Budapest since 2006. On 16th September 2014 I submitted all the required paper accordingly as stated. They simply accepted the paper, didn't asked me any question, and told that I will be getting information through mail (post). Today is 29th Sept, and I have not got anything. I just have the acknowledgement paper from immigration of what documents I have submitted.

Does anyone has gone through this process, is it any way I could know what happening with my application.

Please advice

Thanks

Kunash

Have not been through the process of requesting citizenship, but have dealt with offices here and abroad quite a bit. It is unlikely any government office will give you a status updates after only two weeks. Typically they will either contact you if they need more information, or simply send a rejection or acceptance notice. Give the office some time to process your paperwork. If you think things get lost, best to just contact the office where you submitted your paperwork after a few months.

Also of interest, according to the 1993 citizenship law (section 17 subsection 2 available online in English at http://www.mfa.gov.hu/kulkepviselet/US/ … garsag.htm):

"The Minister of Internal Affairs shall present his recommendation concerning a petition for Hungarian citizenship by naturalization or repatriation, to the President of the Republic within twenty-one months."

You submitted 2 weeks ago. The process legally under the 1993 version can take up to 21 months for naturalization (but I believe the new law (have not seen it online in English to post here in an English language forum) has cut that down to 3 months under certain conditions).

Thanks for the information.