Cannot sponsor my husband

Hi Everyone,

I have been spending quite a bit of time here and have been reading up on numerous topics...whilst most my questions have been answered, I have a few left which I am hoping some of you might be able to answer  :)

Quick background update: I have been offered a job with an international hotel chain and will be moving over to start working in Manama in 3 weeks. My company has taken care of all formalities including getting a work visa and arranging the relocation package (flights over and shipping of our belongings) and is also arranging for our (my  ;) ) flat in Manama. I am a German national and my husband is British...and we currently live and work in Germany after a few years in London.

We are aware that I cannot sponsor my husband to come over with me - instead he will be coming over on a visit visa until he finds employment (which we are hoping should not take too long with a managerial background in hospitality  :D ). My company has also arranged for his visit visa...for one month.

1) Now here comes the first question that we still have:
I was under the impression that as a British national he can get a visit visa for 3 months (rather than 1 month), but we are fine with that for now (assuming that my employer maybe can only get visas for 1 month and that we cannot change it anyway now after it has been approved). However, when he is due to extend the visa with immigration, will he only be able to extend by 1 month (because the original visa was for one month) or can he extend by 3 months already?

2) My husband is working for a company for which he continue to work on a freelancer basis until he has found work. Could anyone advise if this is possible (also in order to get a CPR through that) or rather cumbersome in terms of red tape and expensive and is it hence better to stay on the visit visa until the has found actual "proper" employment?

Thanks so much for your help!  :top:

I can't understand why you can't sponsor your husband, it is a straight forward process that your company should organise.

He can get a visit visa for 3 months and he can either get it online or on arrival. No reason to have a one month visa only.

He may be able to set up his own consultancy firm here once he finds his feet but then he will have to rent an office, pay the bills etc etc. A visit visa isn't a hardship. Just go on vacation every 6 months

It appears (and unfortunately HR has confirmed that this is indeed the case) that whilst a husband can sponsor his wife, it cannot be done the other way around  :unsure

I would have thought as well that he should get a visa for 3 month due to his UK passport, but it arrived today and was confirmed for a month only. We'll try and extend for 3 months before it expires...or otherwise just spend a weekend in Dubai or Doha  :D

You may be able to override that 1 month visit visa at the airport when he arrives. Just explain to customs that it was an error and that it needs to be 3 months.

Remember that for a visit visa you need return flights and an address where you are staying. If he doesn't have a return flight then check online for a valid flight and write that on the form. Customs don't check.

Thanks for that Josnuggles, that was already very helpful  :)