IKEA furniture in Libya

hello every one, i am new to the blog, i am local and just got back to live in libya after some years in dubai, i am thinking about opening a furniture shop that sells IKEA product but still thinking over and over again,i allready mad a research on the market and as i could see its mostly chinees furinture that is avilable and some other turkish products.
just wondering, if it was you and find an IKEA products here in tripoli , would you go for it ? and even though its 30 to 50% more expensive than the chineese products
all views and comments are wellcome

thank you

oh... please ignor my writing mistakes lol

You can already get good quality, but expensive, Italian furniture. Whilst I'm sure expats would be happy to buy Ikea furniture, the question is would Ikea give you the franchise ?

Quote:"Franchises are granted by Inter IKEA Systems B.V. as part of a detailed expansion plan. Serious applicants are carefully researched and evaluated and franchises are granted only to companies and/or individuals with strong financial backing and a proven record in retail."

There is a store that sells Ikea products now on Gargaresh but it is inaddition to other lines of furniture.  You can look at a catalogue and they will order for you.  Very limited in what you can get though. 

If you were able to get a franchise for Ikea, I think you would do quite well as they have everything for the home and good quality products.  Beautiful cotton linens, nice decor items, great kitchen gadgets and the list goes on.  I am dreaming about it already!  :)

well i am not thinking to get the franchise as its very expensive to do so ,my idae is just a resale for ikea furniture , could you pls tell me where about in gergarsh that you saw that shop

thanx

I would by Ikea if they had a similar price to Europe (Spain).

I love ikea stuff and would love to be able to get it over here, but as the shop on Gargaresh sells £1.50 tea light lanterns (3LYD) for 12 LYD I have to admit i'm a bit narked at the price mark up.  Cover costs by all means, but don't rip people off.. they just wont buy it.

Doesn't it kind of seem like they mark up a bunch of stuff over here knowing there are Westerners?  Or really I think on some stuff they charge locals one thing and Westerners another.

Just my opinion.  On some things.

me too i like IKEA..including our hotel some of our supplies are from IKEA dubai.. :)

@flipfinger, thats what they call above normal peofit, that is actually 400% profit, where about in gergarsh is it ?

@seaangel some do some dont, but if you get good idea about prices in the market it would not be a problem for you
just dont buy the first offer, gotta check around first...!

Mudman wrote:

You can already get good quality, but expensive, Italian furniture."

where about do they sell thesE?
cheers

Loads of furniture shops selling overpriced Italian stuff on Gargaresh Road

Where in Gargaresh is the shop which has Ikea items?

They don't have that much ikea stuff, just a few items.  Its close to the NOC camp, opposite side of the road.  I tend to call it the Tefal shop cos it sells a lot of their products too...

Salam Hotmani

As you adequately pointed out, getting a franchise from Ikea is very expensive, I know people wanted to bring it in, they asked for liquidity of 40 million or something ...

If you can get out of season stuff, then I would recommend you to go for it.

there's another big store in Nophleen that re-sells IKEA - I think it's called Quorum or something similar. nice store, but quite pricey

aerohaith wrote:

Salam Hotmani

As you adequately pointed out, getting a franchise from Ikea is very expensive, I know people wanted to bring it in, they asked for liquidity of 40 million or something ...

If you can get out of season stuff, then I would recommend you to go for it.

is this people in a company or individual...IKEA PRODUCTS are really good... ^_^

Hey Guy's Have NO IDEA of the road name, but, come off Garagresh onto the roundabout, 2nd exit off roundabout (towards IST), small round about take the second exit, fruit markets on your right, about 300 yards down on your left a great shop that sells IKEA furniture and kitchen ware at UK prices.
There's also a couple of lighting shops that have IKEA table lamps etc on the same street, same side of the road.

The shop mentioned above is right beside Violet Caffe (red and black facade, circular violet flower logo) in Siraj. It sells mostly kitchenware and small household stuff. Prices are quite marked up - a glass jug was selling for 10 dinars, in Malaysia the same item costs 3.5 malaysian ringgit - less than 2 dinars.

bungaraya wrote:

The shop mentioned above is right beside Violet Caffe (red and black facade, circular violet flower logo) in Siraj. It sells mostly kitchenware and small household stuff. Prices are quite marked up - a glass jug was selling for 10 dinars, in Malaysia the same item costs 3.5 malaysian ringgit - less than 2 dinars.

I was there the other day and could not believe the prices of some of the Ikea items.  As mentioned above, tea lights that go for a pack at about CDN$3 was like 12-15 dinars.  Ikea stores in Canada are really cheap but they are bringing the products here and selling them for outrageous prices.

Isn't "IKEA Swedish for common sense"??????   :rolleyes:

Samee1 wrote:

Come on now, you've been here long enough to know there's no direct translation of that in Libya. :)

Mudman wrote:
Samee1 wrote:

Come on now, you've been here long enough to know there's no direct translation of that in Libya. :)

Oh Sorry Mudman, wishful thinking on my part

hello
This is very good Idea , I have visited Ikea in UAE and UK as well , it has very nice design special for small houses and very classic , it was one of my idea to open Ikea in Libya , But! do you think it is easy to have license from ikea to open branch in Libya !!
wish so!

good luck , let me know if you need any help
Regards

sure I would be one of the buyers

i love ikea!
do it please we need this kind of cheap furniture and style in libya! and i mean cheap as the same prices on ikea Dubai!
the problem that there's few shops sell ikea but it's very close to the italian prices !! so it's better to go to the Italian even if it's higher!

about the china and Turkish they are both crap!no taste or style

thinking of getting IKEA furniture is day dreaming here in Ras Lanuf...i wonder if the new govt will ever allow foreign trade to develop in the consumer sector and let these big brand franchise outlets to come in and invest.

fahim007 wrote:

thinking of getting IKEA furniture is day dreaming here in Ras Lanuf...i wonder if the new govt will ever allow foreign trade to develop in the consumer sector and let these big brand franchise outlets to come in and invest.

They will do as they have too, as I understand next year will be mostly focussing on infrastructure projects - then from 2014 onwards the country will start to see a change on the commercial/tourism front

That place in Serraj is still going (is 5 mins from my villa) and still charges more than double, I needed decent coat hangers so bought 40 for 120 lyd, would cost 50lyd in the uk

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Im an ikea,holic! Their lines are always innovative, have excellent design and geniously engineered for an affordable furniture.
InToronto retired seniors flock to ikea inthe mornings to get good breakfast for $2.
If they ever open in Tripoli people will be able to see what a smart furniture is..

And I lllovve their meatballs served with mashpotato

not a single outlet in Africa -- grumble grumble. :rolleyes:

i have been informed there is a shop selling ikea furniture somewhere in tripoli dont know where though maybe ghurji or gurgesh

there are several, but they re-sell IKEA furniture...i.e. they buy it from an IKEA bring it to Libya and then sell it.

[Moderated: Please use your pm]

the best furniture in the world ikea

great brother i advice u this good for u if u start this because this so good furniture i work in saudi arab i see ikea market so nice and best qulity thing