Moving to Erbil

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of moving to Erbil, in particular the Ankawa area. Does anyone know anything about taking pets out there and the possibility of having them cared for whilst I have to leave the area for a few weeks. I have lived in Iraq in the past however I have been told that Erbil is nothing like Iraq in that its relatively peaceful and a beautiful place to go. All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
:)

you welcome to Erbil and any kind of help you want we will be ready

I wonder if you'll run into difficulties getting the pets back into the US given the current gaps in consular services. When I brought pets back from Saudi I had to have papers signed by government ministries, but you might find difficulties given the strained relationship between Erbil and Baghdad and the possible lack of rules / procedures in such matters.

Personally I would investigate the exact process involved in getting your pets home as a priority.

Hi
I currently live there and I have seen people taking there pets for a walk in Ankawa. I don't think you will have any trouble with that. Erbil is nice place to live.
Good luck

Hi Paul. One question, finally do you move to Erbil with your pets? I am going to move Erbil and I want to know if you any problem with travel with your pets to Erbil.

Thanks in advance

If you bring pets with you there are kennels to leave them if you go away, some of my colleagues have used the kennels others had friends mind the animals whilst they were away. Erbil is is a great place to live I have been here for five years now and going back after my summer holidays. :)

Has someone taken your dog to Erbil, recently? I am having some problems for that. What airline used?

Thanks in advance

Dear Expats:

You can bring your pets through Erbil Airport with you. However you need all vaccinations up to date, and your pet or pets need to be micro-chipped. If you send your pet by Cargo Qatar airways they provide very good service and will email and call you. With that there are clearing fee's and they can be a little expensive.

They will call you and tell you what time your pet will arrive, and you should be there to collect your pet because they don't take care of them in the airport. It takes a few hours to clear them so please have your pet arrive on an early flight, because the cargo area closes early and they may make you wait over night to collect your pet.

All information can be provided by the airlines as to open and closing times. If you bring them by car, and over the boarder you need exit papers from Turkey or the country you are exiting from.

As for people taking care of pets in Erbil there isn't a proper boarding house for animals as of yet, if there are I hope someone will provide a list. But you can post and ask someone to help out.