Hi im new- where do i start?

My fiancé and i are able to work remotely.  We have often thought "wouldn't it be cool if we could move to another country!?"

We finally decided to really start looking into it, but I don't know where to start. How do we determine where to go?
We want a place where our income can go further than it does here in the US.
We also want something close to the beach, with warm weather.
We would continue to work as we are now.

Thank you for your help!

Hi and welcome to the forum silentskream,

Your question is quite vague to be honest.
I think it will be difficult to help with so little information.

Regards
Armand
Expat.com Team

Yes more information will help.

We left the US for a better and much cheaper lifestyle and headed tot he Caribbean islands.  We have been in the Dominican Republic for 8+ years now and enjoying the country, people, beach, weather (never want to shove l snow again), lifestyle and spending 40% less than what we did in the states.

Many people here work remotely.

Bob K

What information would help?

Depends on what you need.

Bob K

There are only few countries that allow (and give visa for) working remotely as a foreigner. A few more tolerate it (i.e. they don't currently enforce rules that disallow such work). In all others it's illegal!

I need to know where to start to find a place to move to. Or help finding a place to go.

We already gave you good replies, didn't we?
Please tell us what you are looking for, or what you want to avoid, and we may be able to give you some pointers.
But, please, not another "warm and cheap place with friendly people, beach and good Internet connection" thread, that's too naive!

Also, reading all the country forums on this site will give you a good start!

Do I need a visa if I'm trying to move there permanently?  Not to visit.

How do I find a country that will not require me to work in the country?

People have said they need more information,  but I don't know what information to give.

We can home school the kids, and would like a place where at least some English is spoken until we can learn the language.
We do have small children,  so safety is especially important

Prefer a strong e infrastructure so that we can access our work via internet.

We are not interested in commercial environment.  Relying on local markets for goods and services is fine. We don't care for fast food and chain restaurants and large businesses.

Well, if you're trying to narrow down your list of potential host countries and you're thinking about homeschooling then I would suggest that you Google "homeschooling in + name of the country" and find out if it is even legal to homeschool your children there. It is NOT legal everywhere, for example here in Brazil the law currently prohibits homeschooling both under civil and criminal law. It can be done IN ADDITION to regular schooling, but not instead of it. That will probably pare down your list of country choices significantly.

Then with your short list you can start researching other important criteria until you've found your best options for your new home.

OF COURSE you need a visa, wherever you might move. Hence my comment above!
I personally think homeschooling is a BAD idea in such a situation, as it robs your kids of the opportunity to meet local kids and learn the language effortlessly. Social integration is the key to wellbeing in any new place.
And, last but not least: Do not rhink that life in an unfamiliar place will be any easier or better than at home - the opposite is the case (sometimes very much so)! Only move if you're seeking adventure, not comfort!

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR