Hass Avocado

Does anyone know where I can get Hass Avocados in NE Brazil? Those are the ones used for most Mexican food such as Guacamole. All I can find here are the big, round sweet Brazilian ones which don't really work for salty food

Thanks

I don't know about Fortaleza, never having been there, but have you tried the Central Market or Municipal Market (Mercado Central), Av. Alberto Nepomucemo, 199 - Centro, Fortaleza - CE ???

In the south-central part of Brazil we can get them everywhere. There are 3 varieties of avocado that are common in Brazil and what you're looking for is called Abacate Mexicana (me-she-ca-na) the abacate americana variedade drymifolia. While you might not be able to find them in any of the local fruit and vegetable shops or supermarkets, they should be readily available in the Central Market anywhere in Brazil.

If you just can't find them anywhere the regular avocados that you can find make a suitable substitute, just pick smaller ones that you find, they aren't really all that sweet. I've used them and they aren't noticeably different in the recipe, unless of course you're a die-hard PURIST.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Don't know about the NE, but I buy them at Sonda supermarket fairly regularly for about 3 or 4 reais a kilo. They are super green and take about a week (sometimes 2) to soften up. But I live in São Paulo which is kinda of a food mecca.

Thanks guys. I don't think there is a Sonda in the NE. Seems to be SP only. I tried the big market (Mercado Sao Sebastiao as Mercado Central in Fortaleza is for art decorations etc) but no luck. I guess Ill continue searching...