Should I move to Marsa alam...

Hi guys,

First post here, I am half British and half Egyptian. I have spent the first 10 years of my life living in Zamalek in Cairo, after seperating with my father on very good terms my mother moved with me and my brother back to London, Where I lived the next 10 years of my life. Finally I met a great lady in London, from the Netherlands, after a year of partnership I decided to take the leap and move back with her so she could finish her studies. I have now lived 6 years in the Netherlands.

We are both happy but would like a change from the everday life and move abroad. My father was nice enough to arrange us 2 jobs in Marsa Alam for both of us, including accomadation (guest chalet and not staff quaters) and full board basis everyday as long as we work there.

It's a great offer and I would love to spend a year or so in Egypt with my girlfriend of 7 years, the problem is I am worried for her safety. I don't look Egyptian, more spanish or Italian, so I would also be considered a "foreigner", Naturally.

I lived in Egypt through the Gulf war walking out of our Zamalek apartment and seeing our whole street full of army vehicles and personell. Also had about 20 bomb scared in the school I went to besides all the actual attacts in Khan el khelili and Sharm.  So I am a little used to the risk, but I do not want to put my girlfriend in any "danger" as she is a tall white girl whos very pretty. She was very passionate about moving as she has been in Egypt twice now and spent quite a while in Cairo (however this is 3 years ago).

I guess my question is, how much has Egypt changed in the last 10 years and how safe would it be for both of us?

I appreciate any insight anyone has and would like to get answers from Egyptians as well as expacts.

Thanks in advance guys :)

ohhh wow I did not think before that Egypt that scary ohhhh , I'm Egyptian lives in Cairo and went to visit to my small city which called ( Tanta ) and my family travels every week , and I went with my small children last year t Hurghada (which I love my children more than the life it self because they are the life I will not propose them to Danger ) and this year to (Sharm el sheikh ) , and we enjoined so much no dangerous at all . IN maadi , Rehab, New Cairo, Zamalek , Hurghada, Sharm and a lot of places have so pretty foreigners and believe me they totally Happy secure and enjoying the life . If the proposed is good salary don't afraid and you will enjoy life here and finally I wish you the best .

Thanks for your reply, I understand you won't put your children in danger. I just can't help feeling that as foreingers you might have to be more cautious.

Any more replies would be appreciated.

Bump.

Timfathi,

Honestly, Marsa Alam is on of the most quite and safe places in Egypt. also, Sometimes i use to go to Hurghada or Sharm by car. there are lots of check points to secure the way. and it's safe so far. Moreover, there are lots of foreigners live in Egypt (Marsa Alam, Hurghada, Sharm and Cairo as well), they have taken an adventure and they are safe, secured and enjoying as well.
However, as far as you were living in Egypt and know some of Egyptian culture and attitude (they would diffidently flirt your girlfriend).
I'm working for multinational company in Cairo which has lots foreigners working with me as colleagues. However, some people used to flirt my ex-girlfriend and cause not good stuff as i'm Egyptian and look 100% Egyptian :)

It's your own decision to take that new life experience & adventure or not.

Good luck both guys anywhere in the world & best wishes :)

Regards,
M. Adel