Living off the Grid in Ecuador

Hi! I am searching for Americans who have moved to Ecuador, who are living off the grid. My name is Barbara Stephans and I am hoping to talk with you. I work for a television production company in Los Angeles and we are developing a documentary series on the subject of living off the grid. I would love to have the opportunity to Skype with you and ask you about your experiences and then hopefully include you in the project. I may be reached via my email address: [email protected]. Thanks!

Barbproducer wrote:

Hi! I am searching for Americans who have moved to Ecuador, who are living off the grid. My name is Barbara Stephans and I am hoping to talk with you. I work for a television production company in Los Angeles and we are developing a documentary series on the subject of living off the grid. I would love to have the opportunity to Skype with you and ask you about your experiences and then hopefully include you in the project. I may be reached via my email address: [email protected]. Thanks!

Bringing people on to the grid so they can explain how they are living off the grid?

That's true, it is a good point. But we hope people will participate on this observational documentary to explain how to make it work, so people interested in living off the grid, too, will have helpful information.

Barbproducer wrote:

That's true, it is a good point. But we hope people will participate on this observational documentary to explain how to make it work, so people interested in living off the grid, too, will have helpful information.

Does off the grid mean they are living without electricity and potable water, or is it something philosophical?

Is all of Ecuador considered off the grid? Most expats there have electricity water etc. Likely that amenities /lifestyle are different based on where you go. City, small town, coast etc

You need to define "off the grid"

Nards Barley wrote:

Does off the grid mean they are living without electricity and potable water, or is it something philosophical?

Good question, Nards.

According to the askwiki website, living off the grid means "living in harmony with nature without using any kind of municipal services."

Potable water could come from a spring or another source not managed by a municipality.

cccmedia, Quito campaign manager, Nards Barley for Presidente 2017

She is going to have to explain what she means. It is sort of a euphemism too for people  that aren't living  with  all of the amenities of mainstream America.  So  the Expats in Ecuador are off the grid even though they do have municipal services?????????? :/

cccmedia wrote:

So can a foreign born non-citizen be elected president in Ecuador?
If non-citizens can also vote, see you on election day.

mugtech wrote:

To date, we have not discovered any Constitutional impediment that would prevent this once Ecuadorian citisenship has been granted.

As you may know, the University of Illinois-educated incumbent now supports a Constitutional change or popular referendum that would broaden the pre-requisites for running (Wall Street Journal, August 18, online.wsj.com). His primary purpose is to enable himself to obtain unprecedented additional terms.

mugtech wrote:

If non-citizens can also vote, see you on election day.

Resident non-Ecuadorians may vote in Ecuador although there may be a waiting period and showing a cedula may be required.

Barbproducer wrote:

So the question remains, what does living off the grid mean specifically?

off the grid: means self-sufficient, live with plant, raise, handcraft, can also use solar power, hydropower, wind power, etc.

netbean wrote:

off the grid: means self-sufficient, live with plant, raise, handcraft, can also use solar power, hydropower, wind power, etc.

SELF-SUFFICIENT MEANS NO INTERNET?
NO TELEPHONE?
NO MAIL?

Maybe she changed her mind about Ecuador when she realized that all the expats were on the Ecuadorian grid.

"

cccmedia wrote:
mugtech wrote:

To date, we have not discovered any Constitutional impediment that would prevent this once Ecuadorian citisenship has been granted.

As you may know, the University of Illinois-educated incumbent now supports a Constitutional change or popular referendum that would broaden the pre-requisites for running (Wall Street Journal, August 18, online.wsj.com). His primary purpose is to enable himself to obtain unprecedented additional terms.

If I remember correctly Correa's the one who proposed the change

Myself, my fiancé and our dog Benji are coming to Ecuador next year to buy land in the countryside and live Off The Grid (or at least our version off it)...
Our goal is to build an earthbag roundhouse and be able to grow or raise enough food to suffice our needs. For water use a stream or rainwater. For electricity install a small solar system that will be sufficient. Composting toilet for no black water waste as grey water from shower and kitchen can be recycled...
All in all I think there are different stages of being off the grid but for me if you're not tapped to grid for water and electricity you are pretty much OTG...
It's just my thoughts though...
Have a lovely day...
Peace and love...
:cheers:

More power to you. Am moving from the capitol city to a little village on the coast which will be a a wonderful change. Did  live off the grid in Alaska for ten years and don't think I'll ever be able to give up my running water and electricity again.

Maybe homesteading would have been a better term to use than living off-grid.
Although guess we could have same discussion of what a homesteader is. Will use the wikpedia definition.

Broadly defined, homesteading is a lifestyle of self-sufficiency. It is characterized by subsistence agriculture, home preservation of foodstuffs, and it may or may not also involve the small scale production of textiles, clothing, and craftwork for household use or sale. Pursued in different ways around the world — and in different historical eras — homesteading is generally differentiated from rural village or commune living by isolation (either socially or physically) of the homestead. Use of the term in the United States dates back to the Homestead Act (1862) and before. In sub-Saharan Africa, particularly in nations formerly controlled by the British Empire, a homestead is the household compound for a single extended family. In the UK, the term 'smallholder' is the rough equivalent of 'homesteader'.
Modern homesteaders often use renewable energy options including solar electricity and wind power and some even invent DIY cars. Many also choose to plant and grow heirloom vegetables and to raise heritage livestock. Homesteading is not defined by where someone lives, such as the city or the country, but by the lifestyle choices they make.

^^^
By that definition, about half of humanity lives 'off the grid'. Except they don't call them "heirloom vegetables" they call it "food".

There are a whole lot of Ecuadorans living off the grid - and I'll bet they didn't even know it. They probably just call it 'living'.

Shame our OP isn't looking for just any people who are just scraping by on what they can produce and generate, only well off expats who fled technology to a developing country.

Interesting bias, no?

Hmm, that must be why you were referred to as a smart little kitten Gardener. Had not thought of it in those terms.

j600rr wrote:

Hmm, that must be why you were referred to as a smart little kitten Gardener. Had not thought of it in those terms.

That was so cute, I was quite charmed when red neck told me I was a smart little  kitten. That's why I stay here, for the small moments. I love foreign phrasings into English which translate into something we would never say.  Different ways of thinking that when translated become a whole new realm of musings.   :)

For me there's too much fuss about terminology going on here and that certainly isn't what this is all about... There are millions of people around the world living off the grid and not calling it that for sure. It's a western term and is used because people choose not to be hooked to national grid and go back to basics and closer to our mother nature... Why would people in remote areas who don't even have a grid to hook up to call it off the grid.? Of course it's just living for them... I have seen many people like that on my travels and they were always the happiest bunch imaginable...
You most certainly don't need to be well off to go and do that. For our budget on our tiny farm you wouldn't even buy an average condo.
Most importantly I always say each to their own and if anyone well off or not decides to go back to basics where ultimately we all come from I'm gonna respect that and not mock it...

Sponytom wrote:

For me there's too much fuss about terminology going on here and that certainly isn't what this is all about... There are millions of people around the world living off the grid and not calling it that for sure. It's a western term and is used because people choose not to be hooked to national grid and go back to basics and closer to our mother nature... Why would people in remote areas who don't even have a grid to hook up to call it off the grid.? Of course it's just living for them... I have seen many people like that on my travels and they were always the happiest bunch imaginable...
You most certainly don't need to be well off to go and do that. For our budget on our tiny farm you wouldn't even buy an average condo.
Most importantly I always say each to their own and if anyone well off or not decides to go back to basics where ultimately we all come from I'm gonna respect that and not mock it...

All quibbling aside, think we probably have a general idea of what the o.p. was talking about. Nothing wrong with living a self sufficient lifestyle, or being a self sufficient person, but think you really would have to love that lifestyle. I could have a mountain retreat, house on the lake, etc. that was off the grid, and enjoy it for small doses, but would not be able to live that life 24/7 365. Something appealing about being a self sufficient man living of the land, but the amount of work, and dedication it would require I couldn't do. More power to those that can.

mugtech wrote:
Barbproducer wrote:

I am searching for Americans who have moved to Ecuador, who are living off the grid. My name is Barbara Stephans....I work for a television production company in Los Angeles and we are developing a documentary series on the subject of living off the grid. I would love to have the opportunity to Skype with you...

Bringing people on to the grid so they can explain how they are living off the grid?

Mugtech was the first to see the irony here.

It is "poco probable" that a pioneer who moved to rural Ecuador to escape off the grid will want to promote it via Skype with LA TV producer Barb, and thereby jeopardise the pristine privacy of his-her remote existence and "earthbag roundhouse."

j600rr wrote:

Hmm, that must be why you were referred to as a smart little kitten Gardener.

Actually, the reason Gardener is considered a smart little kitten is that he chose as his expat-blog avatar a pussy smoking a cigarette.

cccmedia wrote:
j600rr wrote:

Hmm, that must be why you were referred to as a smart little kitten Gardener.

Actually, the reason Gardener is considered a smart little kitten is that he chose as his expat-blog avatar a pussy smoking a cigarette.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say said cat does not actually smoke, just poses to appear to be a tough cat.  I know few cats who could afford such a habit.

Wonder why the OP never posted again.  Did she go on a bunch of Forums and find something more interesting?

suefrankdahl wrote:

Wonder why the OP never posted again.  Did she go on a bunch of Forums and find something more interesting?

I doubt found something more interesting than the Ecuador forum, seeing as how the exact question was posted on Asia, South Africa, Uruguay, and Chile forum as well. This is the only forum that has responded.

And in a very controversial way. Maybe she did read it and change her mind about  what living of the grid actually meant

gardener1 wrote:

^^^
By that definition, about half of humanity lives 'off the grid'. Except they don't call them "heirloom vegetables" they call it "food".

There are a whole lot of Ecuadorans living off the grid - and I'll bet they didn't even know it. They probably just call it 'living'.

Shame our OP isn't looking for just any people who are just scraping by on what they can produce and generate, only well off expats who fled technology to a developing country.

Interesting bias, no?

Having lived off the grid for ten years in SE Alaska in a very remote fishing village  It is not all that it is cracked up to be. Indeed very isolating (access by boat or float plane only) with no roads  It seemed that the happiest people there were  those who had built summer homes. And of course the tourists who paid handsomely at the two small fishing lodges  for the off the grid experience (with running water and showers though) and could afford chartered flights to get there. The people who owned  them were also happy because they could get back on the grid when they wanted to.. Fortunately for the locals ( living off the sea if you will) the food swam around in stay fresh packages, ran around in the woods and  in the interest of conservation   were allotments considered  a subsistence amount It could be smoked but propane was required to can it for a supply enough for the winter. Gray and black water not a problem given the vastness of the sea and a relatively miniscule population (45). The idea of someone paying  to recreate their experience would be incomprehensible to most of them and the thought of  not living in some kind of community would be virtually impossible. Necessary for mutual assistance and social interaction which I guess from the outsider's point of view is why they seem the happiest people imaginable. They share a common experience.  Fishing is certainly a difficult way to earn a living  but is necessary  to survive if you are so far off the grid. Among other things you need it to buy and maintain boats and  have no choice about remaining off the grid. For me hauling water, chopping wood and dealing with the elements got  old. Having been raised in a Western culture it just seemed to take so much time and energy  to simply exist and felt unproductive in many ways. Because of lack of access to health care I am now happily back on the grid.  Although being away from the trappings of modern society  can be a good thing. It just seems  artificial to me when  a lot of planning and investment go in to it.

Excellent post above Sue. Really highlights a lot of good points.

Why I said in previous post that you either live that life because you have no other choice, or you live it because it's something that you really love. Don't really think there can be much middle ground. I openly admit I could never live it full time. Much respect to those that can.

suefrankdahl wrote:

Am moving from the capitol city to a little village on the coast which will be a a wonderful change. Did  live off the grid in Alaska for ten years and don't think I'll ever be able to give up my running water and electricity again.

So which coastal village did you choose, and please tell us why...

So... we're looking for people living off the grid... in an online forum. Class, can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

So CC in answer to your question-  Long interesting story which

I won't go in to in detail. It wasn't exactly a choice. If you're married to a fisherman with  his firstborn on the way  you do what you have to do and make the best of it.
  A lot of family pressure on his side. I was a good catch though not the best deckhand They lived on a very nice grid but it was his choice not too. My first instinct was to go back where I came from and get  back on the grid ASAP.  I didn't much like being a deckhand anyway. Don't regret a moment of it. Such a unique experience for the average Westerner. Up close and personal experiences (daily)with wildlife that people pay a fortune to see and may not even see. We didn't need binoculars. Everything  from whales to black bears. Also beautiful were seeing all the things that grow on the coast , along the rivers and inside a temperate rain forest  with no hiking trails.Aside from my son the best thing to come out of it was how to be resourceful when you can't run  down to Fred Meyer. and remains a blessing to this day. There was no plan about how to deal with things you just learned and had to be creative and see how everyone else dealt with it.

I am faulted all the time for being so low tech (it's embarrassing) and am a news junkie because we only had five minutes of BBC news a day. fro a radio station in a bigger town. No TV, no internet , no cell phones. Some had satellite. All your activities were governed by the tides. and the weather. The ultimate go with flow... quite wonderful. The tide book was more important than a calendar or watch Local phone service only worked in the bay. The elements played a big part in having outside phone service, groceries or mail. And off the grid prenatal care  and childbirth . Better logistics than a home birth Fortunately Ketchikan was only 100 air miles away. Very scary instrument flying in the winter. Sat in the copilot's seat enough times that I probably could have landed the plane  in an emergency.

Sorry to write so much but I feel like this was a real off the grid experience but as Gardener said we were just living.  A lot of it was fun and amazing to all my on the grid friends. Have been so far off the grid I don't worry about being there again and have a great appreciation for electricity, running water and heat..

It  seems to me that if you want to live off the grid you should just  look around and see how everyone else is doing it. Rather than buying the expensive accoutrements of going back to nature, and getting off the grid the money might be better spent improving the quality of life for whatever community will accept you.I've read here that Ecuadorians are warm and friendly but you can't generalize. . In other parts of the world less open to outsiders someone with that much money might be viewed with envy or suspicion. And the accoutrements described would certainly be the cause of great curiosity.

Please no arguing or quibbling this is just my opinion which I am free to express here.  And don't want this thread to become so contentious that it gets taken down. Everyone is free to create their own life.

suefrankdahl wrote:

A long interesting story which I won't go into in detail.  It wasn't completely a choice. If your married to a fisherman. with his first born on the way you sort of do what you have do and make the best of it.  A lot of family pressure on his side. I was a good catch though not the best deckhand They lived on a very nice grid but it was his choice not too. My first instinct was to go back where I came from and get  back on the grid ASAP.  I didn't much like being a deckhand anyway. Don't regret a moment of it. Such a unique experience for the average Westerner. Up close and personal experiences (daily)with wildlife that people pay a fortune to see and may not even see. We didn't need binoculars. Everything  from whales to black bears. Also beautiful were seeing all the things that grow on the coast , along the rivers and inside a temperate rain forests with no hiking trails.Aside from my son the best thing to come out of it was how to be resourceful when you can't run down to Fred Meyer. There was no plan about how to deal with things you just learned and had to be creative and see how everyone else dealt with it.

I am faulted all the time for being so low tech (it's embarrassing) and am a news junkie because we only had five minutes of BBC news a day. No TV, no internet , no cell phones. Some had satellite. All your activities were based on the tides. and the weather. The ultimate go with flow... quite wonderful. The tide book was more important than a calendar or watch Local phone service only worked in the bay. The elements played a big part in having outside phone service, groceries or mail. Also very unusual way to get prenatal care and have a baby but the logistics were better than a home birth Fortunately Ketchikan was only 100 air miles away. Very scary instrument flying in the winter. Sat in the copilot's seat enough times that I probably could have landed the plane  in an emergency.

Sorry to write so much but I feel like this was a real off the grid experience but as Gardener said we were just living.  A lot of it was fun and amazing to all my on the grid friends. Have been so far off the grid I don't worry about being there again and have a great appreciation for electricity, running water and heat..

It  seems to me that if you want to live off the grid you should just  look around and see how everyone else is doing it. Rather than buying the expensive accoutrements of going back to nature, and getting off the grid the money might be better spent improving the quality of life for whatever community will accept you.I've read here that Ecuadorians are warm and friendly but you can't generalize. . In other parts of the world less open to outsiders someone with that much money might be viewed with envy or suspicion. And the accoutrements described would certainly be the cause of great curiosity.

Please no arguing or quibbling this is just my opinion which I am free to express here.  And don't want this thread to become so contentious that it gets taken down.

Wow Sue,
What a story you live to tell...!!!
In all honesty I imagine that the harshness of the weather in the area that you "didn't choose" to go and live in is probably the reason why you were happily back in civilisation, I think anyway...
Your wildlife encounters though must have been completely beautiful and soul soothing experiences. Love it... It's priceless stuff...!!!
Maybe if you could "chose" the place and there was mild climate there it would've ended differently. Maybe not...
You see I come from mountains in Czech Republic and my fiancé from countryside in Latvia and we met in England after both fleeing our countries cos we wanted to travel the world... Ten years down the line we feel we wanna settle down in a manner we both adore and have experiences with. We wouldn't do it in Latvia or Czech though cos winters are harsh (down to -20; -30 Celsius) and that makes farming, house maintainance or living in general quite hard. It's much easier to go elsewhere so we plumped for Ecuador, seemingly a great place so we are buzzing and cannot wait although we haven't been there yet...
Please don't anyone hammer me for not being there before as that's part of our nature to go and do stuff without test drives...
Ama la vida... :top:

jessekimmerling wrote:

So... we're looking for people living off the grid... in an online forum. Class, can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

Believe I already did.

actually, we dont need to be remote area to be off grid. there is a story from a family in CA, usa. the web site is http://urbanhomestead.org/, can watch it on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmTJkZy0rM

the Urban Homestead project is a family operated and highly productive city farm. It is also a successful, real-life working model for sustainable agriculture and eco living in urban areas and has been featured in multiple news medias both nationally and internationally.

Hello to all of you who have responded. I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. Thank you for mentioning the word "homesteading". Yes, we are interested in American families who have decided they are interested in homesteading in another country, striving for self-sufficiency, who have built their own home, do gardening and raise animals for food, use solar power. I've spoken with people who are doing these things, but still feel comfortable using the Internet and their cellphones.

There can be variations as to what degree the families are off-grid. Perhaps they are not entirely self-sufficient yet but are making progress.

We are even interested in speaking with families who haven't made the move yet from the US, but are about to do so, so we can follow them through the process.

What we are producing will be of a positive, observational nature and I am exploring various sites and blogs where I might be able to connect with families. I understand that some families are seeking privacy via their moves, but there are other families who would enjoy sharing their accomplishments to encourage other families who have an interest in making a change of lifestyle.

If you can recommend a family, or are a homesteading family interested in participating, please let me know.

Thank you, 

Barbara

Barbproducer wrote:

I've spoken with people who are doing these things, but still feel comfortable using the Internet and their cellphones.

There can be variations as to what degree the families are off-grid. Perhaps they are not entirely self-sufficient yet but are making progress.

Hindus eating Big Macs
Either you're on the bus or you're off the bus.