A foreigner died riding high powered motorbike this afternoon. No ID

Previously posted.

DanFromSF wrote:

Previously posted.

Didn't see a pix. I always post sources.

And again Sunday morning just past.
http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/mo … 31762.html

Also got into an accident a few months back, going about 65 mph on a CBR 600, luckily I came out alive with really bad scrapes all over my body (I also didn't wear any gear). Feel bad for this guy since he seems to have his life in order, one bad decision can really ruin it all  :(

LaxFogo wrote:

Also got into an accident a few months back, going about 65 mph on a CBR 600, luckily I came out alive with really bad scrapes all over my body (I also didn't wear any gear).

Seems that seating on some of the new models position the driver so they are ready to launch in to space. There appears to be nothing to restrain them at all.

I saw a sweet young thing riding pillion on another late model - the passenger seat was about half way up the drivers back. The driver braked, very hard, the woman was propelled forward and ended up with his head on between her legs and she was 'kissing' the front wheel. Barely any speed involved at all.

Always felt tempted to try a seat belt addition to my 'sedate' motorscooter - spent most of my days driving four wheel vehicles.

Jaitch repy
" Always felt tempted to try a seat belt addition to my 'sedate' motorscooter - spent most of my days driving four wheel vehicles. "

In Australia it was made compulsary to even wear a seatbelt on a small forklift, so after 2 weeks working remotely, ( and using a forklift everyday, they won't start unless the seat belt is coupled ),  I returned home , and for the next few days, every time I hopped on my ZJ900, I found myself reaching for a seat belt.

bluenz wrote:

... for the next few days, every time I hopped on my ZJ900, I found myself reaching for a seat belt.

Well you sure won't need it up there in Quang Ngai for apart from your trailer the only road hazards are pigs and animal poop. That stuff is slippery but elephant droppings are worse - they are like rocks after half-a-day in the sun. Biggest road hazard in DakLak after elephant nests.

Strange how the death of a Foreign male was highlighted whilst the death of a South African woman was not.

A South African woman was killed after her motorbike crashed into a truck in Quan 1, early Sunday (2014 September 28). This was the second traffic fatality of a Foreigner in one week.

The accident happened Ton Duc Thang Street in Quan 1 around 01.00H. The accident happened at the Nguyen Hue intersection. News website VietNamNet quoted eyewitnesses as saying that her motorbike crashed head-on into the truck. But who believes a VNese witness without investigations?

More info and pictures

What confused me most was: “I picked a xe om (motorbike taxi) to the police station to report the accident right after the crash,” he said.

Yeah, right, non of all the eyewitnesses had a cell phone? No police on Nguyen Hue? Only option was a Xe Om....

I've seen very bad accidents where even jewelery or other valuables get looted from victims. I'd never dare to leave such a scene but that's just my opinion.

Saw a minor collision a few weeks ago, two guys with their girlfriend on the back, both seemed to have had a good amount of beer, was about 11pm at the Nguyen Trai/Cong Quynh roundabout. Well they both got off their bikes and wanted to see who's the stronger guy. Both girlfriends tried to keep the two apart, shouting and screaming with the "normal" kind of crowd gathering around. Sure enough one of the "eyewitnesses" hopped on one of the bikes and dashed off down the direction to Nguyen Thi Minh Khai. The local Xe Om guys had a huge laugh, no one intended to help hunt down the new owner of that bike.

Bottom line, never walk away from such a scene and be aware that many normal people become spontaneous looters.

snake77 wrote:

What confused me most was: “I picked a xe om (motorbike taxi) to the police station to report the accident right after the crash,” he said.

Yeah, right, non of all the eyewitnesses had a cell phone? No police on Nguyen Hue? Only option was a Xe Om....

Its like that any where man, people just mind their own business.

I passed out from blood loss after my crash, and when I woke up and there was a bunch of people surrounding the scene (probably 20-30 after the crash that I woke up)...I had to ask someone to drive me to the local hospital to clean my wounds and get stiches before transferring to FV.

Luckily my bike weights about 180kg so nobody tried dragging it off, guess it helped that the shifter was broke and it was stuck in gear so they couldn't push it.

Jaitch wrote:

Strange how the death of a Foreign male was highlighted whilst the death of a South African woman was not.

A South African woman was killed after her motorbike crashed into a truck in Quan 1, early Sunday (2014 September 28). This was the second traffic fatality of a Foreigner in one week.

The accident happened Ton Duc Thang Street in Quan 1 around 01.00H. The accident happened at the Nguyen Hue intersection. News website VietNamNet quoted eyewitnesses as saying that her motorbike crashed head-on into the truck. But who believes a VNese witness without investigations?

More info and pictures

Ah?
Check out 4 posts above yours dated 29th September.
""And again Sunday morning just past.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/mo … 31762.html""

It could be that "nobody deserves to die," but we all have it coming one day or another, that's for sure.

The cause of the accident was stupidity, Speed and alcohol. I feel sorry for the vn guy that got hit. Not the dope with too much money on a fast bike!!! LOL Another one bite's the dust!!!

A $78 helmet? Why bother?

If you aren't going to spend the $$ for a real helmet, I have little sympathy.

Jaitch wrote:

[img align=c]http://www.thanhniennews.com/uploaded/thevinh/2014_09_26/syrianewfolder/of1_recommended_eoua.jpg?width=840[/url]

Read: Added info on accident from Thanh Nien

"A foreigner died riding high powered motorbike this afternoon" - could be a misleading title I suppose!

Myself riding 750cc & 650cc for the past 5 years, and got all legal documents. Most importantly, the A2 license ( through an official driving test).

Just would like to share my experience;

1). For higher or lower CC, someone should have the first - hand experience - meaning you are recommended to experience the ' art of of riding' in Vietnam. It is quite important to take a bit of time before jumping on to your motorbike and dashing off...

2) Make sure you have got all what is called the ' legal' in terms of the documents.

3) Remind yourself that you are riding in Vietnam every single time.
4) Your passion for speed could be entertained for long trips ( out side the city), and joining in a motor club would help you to pacify the quest for speed to a great extent.
5). Always be responsible for yourself and for other expats ( incidents such as these would create a lot of public discussions towards - foreigner riding motorbikes or high powered motorbikes).
6) Always be careful about alley riders ( who might cut the road in a flash), a bus (who might take a zigzag drive), a taxi driver ( who might stop in an expected fashion), pedestrians ( who might cross waving his/her hand) and finally the the student on a bicycle ( might do anything out of the box).

SAFE RIDE & HAVE FUN!!!

There are many Russians who come to Nha Trang to live and also for holliday. Lots of them drink to much and then drive a motorbike as fast as they can without a helmit or leathers. If they want to kill themselfs thats fine with me, but whats not ok is killing inersent people in the process. The police have really got to get a grip on this. Drinking and riding a bike is  going to end in tears.

Jaitch wrote:
bluenz wrote:

... for the next few days, every time I hopped on my ZJ900, I found myself reaching for a seat belt.

Well you sure won't need it up there in Quang Ngai for apart from your trailer the only road hazards are pigs and animal poop. That stuff is slippery but elephant droppings are worse - they are like rocks after half-a-day in the sun. Biggest road hazard in DakLak after elephant nests.

Actually a pig is about the only thing I haven't seen on the road up here, ( maybe too valuable, or smarter than some of the locals around here? )
Pls enlighten me as to how my trailer is a hazard?, at least it is attached to my bike, unlike many idiots around here , where the passenger is holding onto the WOODEN trailer, I even have sides on my trailer, and wheels that don't wobble that much, they look like they are ready to fall off.  I think more likely, it's the fact that the oncoming traffic can't sit in it's usual position,  the middle of the road.

Laxfogo wrote,
'  Its like that any where man, people just mind their own business.  '
Are you sure you are in VN????

Vietnamese tv news here neglected to mention the fact it was a foreign rider but did mention it was a foreign woman killed. I feel sorry this happened. It will probably help in the campaign to ban all unlicensed foreign drivers. I  happened right next to the Canadian Embassy. I was there getting documents and saw the mess, but had no idea what it was about. Glad I left my bike at home. I would have hated to be there on my big bike.

@ "mojoyote"
"It could be that "nobody deserves to die," but we all have it coming one day or another, that's for sure".

There are a lot of Rapist, Murderers  and child molesters that deserve to die!!!  If your wife was raped and murdered in front of you Do you just forgive or Attack and kill him!  Same for your daughter if she was raped at 3,4,5,6,7 Pick a number Do you forgive and let him rape more children?  Don't be a weak passive liberal with a let's all forgive attitude! Wise up and eliminate evil to put an end to the crimes against humanity, These sick perperators get off on inflicting death and terror on others.

Now we are going off topic aren't we?

Armand wrote:

Now we are going off topic aren't we?

I don't think they agree. A nice topic to chit chat and drink beers.

eodmatt wrote:

As the old adage goes: Speed kills!

No it doesn't , it's usually the sudden stop that kills you. like falling off a cliff.

Now thats funny but lets stay on the Topic and not get into physics.

Jaitch wrote:

Obviously he didn't learn too much at Princeton.

The CGST expect Foreigners to drive with better skills than Vietnamese which is why they, rightly IMO, come down on hard on bad Foreigner drivers.

It's these idiots that make it worse for the greater majority who remember they are guests in the country.

@DanFromSF (below)
As far as I am concerned it was self-inflicted. Just as with smokers, they are a dieing breed!

Example, yesterday I was driving my 4-wheel and after I had a green light a guy decided to run a red and he met the I-beam I use for bumpers. He fell off his wheels. He had that funny smile that VNese adopt when they have been caught doing a no-no and he knew he had gone through a red light.

THEN he expected me to help him up!

Same goes for the youth who ride at high speed without helmets, or text as they drive along.

First it's "For" example, your heinous.

Secondly,  what does the accident have to do with his education?  How do you know it wasn't a mechanical malfunction; like a stuck throttle?  How rigourous do you think the post-accident investigation was? 

Lastly,  the guy you knocked down with your over-sized wheelchair probably misttook you for a human; hence the out-stretched arm.

Crediblity?  Indeed!
reached out for help (after you hit him)

Some of you must be living saintly lives!  Making fun of his name; education...and my personl favorite- is his name "American"!  WTF!?!   I seriously doubt you would have had such harsh words in his presence, which makes you cowards.

Fluery Otavio Augusto Formigoni - RIP

The Strokes - You Only Live Once

Teacher Mark wrote:

Some of you must be living saintly lives!  Making fun of his name; education...and my personl favorite- is his name "American"!  WTF!?!   I seriously doubt you would have had such harsh words in his presence, which makes you cowards.

Fluery Otavio Augusto Formigoni - RIP

The Strokes - You Only Live Once

It's a shame about your friends death. Because of your RIP for him I'm sure you two were close.
If that's not the case and you're just sending healing wishes to a deceased stranger,then I suggest you RIP the 30+ other people who die by motorbike on Vietnam's roads. Every day.

Another foreigner, but this time only hospitalized...

A collision between a motorcycle, driven by a foreigner, and a taxi occurred in Ho Chi Minh City on Sunday afternoon. The bike driver, whose name has not been released, was injured.
http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/23205/for … nt-in-hcmchttp://www.thanhniennews.com/society/ta … 32467.html

snake77 wrote:

Another foreigner, but this time only hospitalized...

A collision between a motorcycle, driven by a foreigner, and a taxi occurred in Ho Chi Minh City on Sunday afternoon. The bike driver, whose name has not been released, was injured.
http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/23205/for … nt-in-hcmchttp://www.thanhniennews.com/society/ta … 32467.html

What place is there for a 'Monster' in HCMC?
These beasts needs lots of tight turns and good speeds.
Use of such a machine in this city ought to be a crime.