Cost of living KL vs USA

Dear All, as asked so much here are some real prices

USA    Malaysia in RM approx
Car: eg Ford Fiesta                                                   32-36k    70-85k
Affordable 2 bed apartment NYC vs KL                   4,000    2,000
Levi 501 Jeans                                                               90            290
Cheap no brand T shirt                                                4            10
Beer 0.5 litre in bar                                                        6          25
Chinese food - one rice fish with meat                     9-12           7-12
Slice of pizza                                                               3             15

So assuming you rent a room in a 2 bed, have a car (and spread cost over 8 years), buy 10 pairs of jeans and 20 t-shirts a year (to simulate clothing costs) drink 10 beers a week, and for food (7*2=14 meals) have pizza twice and Chinese rest of time (again just for a simple comparison) total annual costs are:

For a couple I assume you wouldn't get a car as good (and cheap) public transport but this is a rough and ready comparison. If a couple take a 2 bed place and have two car in KL (essential) and assume one car in NYC = public transport costs then:

Total monthly cost of living for above items

NYC vs KL Single                                                            5.3k         4.6k
                  Couple                                                          6.2k         7.2k

The main (only!) thing cheaper in KL is rent and these are rising fast. I know this is rough and ready but I did this as some people (met one recently) believed the "lies" given by cheap skate Malaysian employers who say "so cheap here to live so we pay less"

I saw the RM15 slice of pizza menu at Flams as well. Shocking.

Chinese food is often more expensive than that Nemo - and it does not taste anything like the dishes I grew up on. Fried rice can cost RM12 on its own.

Yes but "rough and ready" what gets me is how many Americans complain that the Chinese food is better and cheaper in New York!

And what prompted is that in klcc they were selling Levi jeans.501s for 290 and some were 900 rm (wtf!) You can by them 75% cheaper in usa!

KLCC and all the so-called expat shopping areas are really suffering from unrealistic pricing levels these days. I guess suddenly people have noticed that prices can go up and so they feel exhonerated and have no guilt in following suit whenever possible.

I personally dont think it is linked to inflation levels. There is almost a double economy here created by people who are prepared to pay extortionate prices without batting an eyelid.

Its just opportunism. Like the green peppers (capsicum) that cost RM20 in Hock Choon Supermarket in Ampang. Mine cost about RM1.50 depending on size from Giant.

There is an Asian mindset though - very feudal - that you pay more is better as shows you have money. In Germany outside dirt cheap discount stores you see load of mercs! Although mercs are cheap in Germany.

Also Malaysian distribution is very inefficient. You get drivers in 52 tonne lorries delivering one parcel. One as it pushes up overtime and two usually the person in charge is someone important who only really has the mental capacity to flip burgers.

If it wasn't for oil.....

No offense but the US and Malaysia prices in this post are WAY off... A new car for under 10k US?  Cheaper food in NYC?  What are you smoking dude??

The only claim that is somewhat accurate is the cost of foreign cars in KL because they're are taxed to hell here.  Domestic cars are better than Fords and cheaper.  I'd frame it this way:

Domestic Car: Buy a MiVi.  At this point, cheaper and better than fords
Gas: In the US the price depends on the futures market, i think.... in KL it's always RM2.10/L
Slice of Pizza: In KL?? Why???
Beer at bar: Way too expensive in both cities
40oz bottle of OE in an Alley: Cheaper in NYC
Lunch/Dinner/Breakfast/Tea: Food is always way way cheaper and better in KL! (except pizza)
Levis: Go to Petalling st. and barter.  Otherwise go to Mid Valley, the prices are the same as the US

maybe we start with the salery first....
How much you can get for ur salery?

Goldbaumer prices are real from new York. Outside of new York rents fall a lot so do other costs so can be cheaper than kl although not a fair comparison as cheaper obviously to live out of kl / Selangor.

I disagree about food. Chinese food is not great in kl anymore and prices and portions worse than past. Indeed many areas you cannot buy cheap food anymore and the says of the 5 rm meal with a drink in kl are gone. You should stay off the herbal cigs ;) and avoid wearing fake levis bought at petaling st.

And myvis are death traps. I smashed one into pieces while my car hardly had a scratch (his fault didn't even have a licence) 16k USD I can but a really nice car in usa or uk! Fiestas btw are cheap and nasty granny cars  I cant help and laugh at proud owner here thinking they have a sexy foreign car. In usa you can buy a great recent second hand quality car for 5k usd or 15k. You could once buy a new Hyundai accent for 4500 usd new! (haven't checked recent price) when in Malaysia it was 70k rm.