Questions and tips about getting a job in Sweden

Hello, everyone

I'd like to ask you a few questions about possibilities of getting job in Sweden. First, a few words about myself, since it might be relevant regarding my questions:

I'm Information and Library Science graduate from Poland and I took part in Erasmus at university of Boras. While there, I finished swedish course and my proficiency is around B1 level, altough I'm working toward full proficiency. I worked for 3 years for polish company in market research, consulting and data analysis (including 1 year as a team leader).

I'd like to ask you:
- I hear that chances of getting a job for people who don't have scandinavian/US/UK/germanic surname. Is it true? Is it difficult for foreigners to get a job in Sweden?
- What do you think are my chances of getting a job in Sweden (considering that I'd reach full swedish proficiency)?
- What are the best strategies for looking for a job in Sweden (i.e. does doing it distantly give any chance, or should you look for job once in Sweden)?

I'd be grateful for any tips. Best regards!
Tomasz

Dear Tomasz,

my name is Apostolos. I live in Stockholm last 8-9 months. The way I see it, its extremely hard to get a job here if you dont have people to put you in. At my view , Swedish are extremely demanding and picky at work and if you dont know the language the things can get tough. There is a lot of discrimination in jobs! The chances to get a job by being here or from distance are the same. The reason is simply that is all happening through web applications procedures and rarely physically. If you manage to book an interview with some company then most likely you have spent at least 2 months searching and applying. Interviews here often take place by phone call. There is definitely no equal opportunity. Ofcourse none would admit that. But in practice you will realize it once you start looking for work. There is no easy way to get a job here.
Thats all I have to say and its fully based on my individual experience and conversations I had with other foreigners here. It can be that you are lucky and you find it easy from the beginning . I hope so!
Good luck!

Apostolos

Hi Apostolos.

I've heard too a lot about that you need some connections if you looking for job to ''push'' you into company. I was actually also very surprised when most of the people told me that they very often do a telephone interview. Unfortunately here in Slovenia also you can't get any job without a connections. I guess in this days situation is much similar everywhere.
I would have one question for you Apos. Before you went to Sweden, how did you found a place to stay, a room or apartment? Did you look for that before you came here or how was the situation with that? I was always wondering that about people who decide to move. Maybe a few experience or tips from your side? :) You are 'fresh' in Stockholm.

Best regards.

Hello!
the housing situation in  Stockholm is difficult. My gf who is Swedish sais that there are not enough apartments and that everyone is waiting in long queues to rent a flat! I had my gf and so I came here to try something new. I was lucky to live at her place and I didn't have to search for anything... So there are two advices I can give. One is either find a gf (or bf) that lives abroad :P or simply grab your things and go to solve the problem while living in a hotel at the city of your desire. I did that in the past and worked successfully in Frankfurt and London. Got tickets without return in both cases and was continuously looking for room and work. In both cases the problem was solved in less than 15 days! ( Assuming ofcourse that you bring some money with...that can last at least for a month). Now I am gonna do the same for third time. I am going to Holland. I hope you find a way to do it yourself if that is what you plan. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Apostolos