Have people had such an experience?

Hi, my name is Maria, and I am a first generation Croatian'American. The love of my life is Dubrovnik :) although my family comes from the north - Osijek. I am at the point now where I am looking at buying a very small flat in Dubrovnik, and could use some help. There are several questions, but at this point the most pressing involves an attorney who is telling me that she is going to charge 1 1/2% of the sales price, which my family there tells me is not unusual. She has sent me a power of attorney which she says she needs In order to be able to represent me, and she is requesting 50% of her fee upfront. As I said, there are many other questions, but at this point, have people had such an experience? Thank you - Maria

Hello,
This is Maria again. I have not gotten any responses but am still hoping that there are folks out there who will respond. I am getting mildly concerned because the attorney I retained in Croatia, and whom I paid, seems to not be responding...
I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

Hi Maria,
Im British and live here in Croatia. I'm surprised that anyone would move to Dubrovnik as its so expensive and I hear overrated, therefore the lawyers will be expensive. I live in Dalmatia in Zadar, prices are reasonable I have used lawyers here few times and usually its a set fee and have not been ripped off. (only by landlords and real estate agents). The thing is that you have to be here, take a lawyer that someone recommends. I certainly would not pay money for work not done or up front.. i hope that you get this sorted.

I have not heard of any Attorneys in the Rijeka region of croatia charging 1 half percent of the property sales price for thier fee. Usually attorneys are on flat fee basis for billable hours worked and other admin costs and court stamping fees, notaries and the such they bill for. none of the attorneys we used asked for a retainer.
Unfortunately Real Estate all over Croatia is still a bit of the wild wild west and one has to be very careful which agents and attorneys you deal with. just because they bear the name Attorney or agent does not necessarily mean they are ethical in their practice. of course their are good ethical Atttorneys and agents also in Croatia but you have to look for them or get them through personal recommendations. Unfortunately I do not have any one I can recommend in the Dubrovnik area for you.

Hi Mara, I'm not an expert but if you are already hearing this is unusual then it might be a good idea to look for another attorney.

Based on...reality the world over...do not send 50 % to someone in another country.  Never.