Victoria Primary - School holidays & general

Hello

We're coming over to Gozo from 29/10-06/11 and we're going to take our 6-year-old to visit the happy school in Victoria. The headmaster has okayed this (seems like a very pleasant chap). However, does anyone know if there are any holidays around these dates?

On a general note, so far people seem very positive about this school, but has anyone else had any experience of it from an ex-pat perspective (and even better anyone who isn't Catholic)?

Thanks
:)

Hi, the mid term break is no school on Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th November I believe.

My daughter has just left  Victoria primary to go to secondary school but my 7yr old son still goes there. The headmaster is great and really gets involved with the kids. He seems to have hit a good balance of being strict and instilling discipline with being a big kid himself and joining in with the fun and activities.

It isn't like a UK school but you won't find one that is so don't compare, but what I have found is that it is one of the better schools equipped to deal with expat children. Letters are given out in English as well as Maltese, they have a good program of giving extra lessons in Maltese to foreign children. School meetings are usually in Maltese but we have always been giving an interpreter to sit with us foreign parents.
I'm not Catholic and neither are my children, but my kids do take part in mass and other religious services, but the ones who opt out of religion stay at school with a teacher while the rest of the school goes to one of the churches. During religion lessons the opt out ones sit and read and can also opt out of religious exams. Religion is taught in Maltese, the other lessons are taught in English/Maltese as needed, but the teachers are used to teaching or explaining things in both languages.

My kids love it, and as a parent I feel very lucky my kids go to 'The Happy School'.
It's not perfect by any stretch but no school is.
Have a look on the school website and read through the headmasters diary which is updated daily during term time to give you an idea of what goes on.
Also there are quite a few expat kids at the school so there is always one of the expat parents to ask advice or for help if needed.

Thank you Sparkie. I have read the headmaster's diary and it helped put my mind at ease about the transition. It certainly seems that he has had a positive effect on the school.

My daughter turned six in August but she makes up for being the youngest in her class by being one of the loudest. My main worry is that she might lose some of her confidence, but I'm certain that if its a supporting environment then she will be fine. The other concern was the religion aspect, but as someone who was brought up as a Catholic I don't see it as doing her any harm to be aware of such an important part of Gozitan culture.

Thanks for your advice

no worries, any questions ask away.