When to do the course and apply for a job

Hi there,

I was looking to do the CELTA course in Vietnam. I'm confused as to whether I should do it in November or towards the beginning of 2015... I'm not sure if there's a better time to apply for jobs, ie the time when more english teachers are sought out? If hiring is seasonal, please tell me when the best time would be. Many thanks in advance.

Abhi

Hello Abhi,

It all depends where you take the course.   In some centers you can take the TESOL course for 1month, other places can take you 2 to 3 months but the price would be cheaper.  Right now we are almost at the end of the year, so best time to apply for a job is Feb-March after the TET Holiday.

Good Luck.

Thanks so much for your help! I'm still deciding between all the language centres in Vietnam. I think I'm more inclined to doing it with Language Link, Apollo or ILA. I think I'll direct my efforts towards doing the course in January or February then, as I will probably be doing the intensive month long course.

Thanks again!

Abhi14 wrote:

Thanks so much for your help! I'm still deciding between all the language centres in Vietnam. I think I'm more inclined to doing it with Language Link, Apollo or ILA. I think I'll direct my efforts towards doing the course in January or February then, as I will probably be doing the intensive month long course.
Thanks again!

"Count your chickens before they hatch!!"

You might end up paying a hefty amount (almost 750 to 1.5k US) taking training and getting "certified" in Vietnam as an English Teacher, but the job market for English Teachers in VN is certainly not very non-native Asian friendly at the moment. It's all a bit of supply-n-demand kind of blame-game going on over there. The same old story, anyway!

Stay alert and do your research well before you decide to move to VN to become an English teacher.

Here is my suggestion for you:

Get in touch with the British Council in India (I guess, you are in India right now) about their upcoming CELTA course in November this year. If you are lucky to get selected, you can complete your CELTA in India later this year and then move to VN to explore teaching opportunities.

British Council VN is probably not running the CELTA program at the moment. They are more focused on other training programs tailor-made to train Vietnamese English teachers. Take a look here: British Council vn

CELTA is intensive and expensive too. 2k US approx for 3-4 weeks of training. It's worth getting CELTA qualified If you are serious about a long-term career as an English Teacher, "officially" in any EFL country.

For the other names that you've mentioned above, you should check out your job prospect first before taking the plunge. Be prudent!

Finally, when you move to VN, keep other job options open because that's where you are more likely to succeed in landing a decent job.

Good luck!