Dutch Oven

I have been looking for a Dutch oven, a heavy deep pot with a lid that can go on the stove top and in the oven. I have looked at Ikea and the Vasadenyi (?) the specialty housewares chain of stores. When I ask, all I get is "nincs".

It took me 12 years to find a slow cooker, but I did. I don't want to spend the next 12 looking for a Dutch oven. Any suggestions?

Funny, I show as a new member, but have been on this board since 2008. I have just been quiet.

You can order a Dutch Oven on-line rather easily from any EU country. Germany is a good source (Germans do a lot of grilling). A real Dutch Oven is made of cast iron, for cooking over a fire or hot coals (which is why they have little feet on the bottom). Less common to get those with flat bottoms for home kitchen cooking, but one option may be: http://www.campchef.com/cast-iron-squar … -oven.html (one EU reseller http://www.grillstar.de/camp-chef-squar … 471-1.html). You never put a real Dutch Oven in a convection oven (the Dutch Oven is already an oven).

CorningWare "dutch ovens" (not real "dutch ovens", but called that anyway in the US) are probably a better choice for slow stove-top and convection oven cooking in a kitchen (normal are white, Corning Vision (which I prefer myself) is clear). Ask for CorningWare, do not ask for a Dutch oven specifically (it confuses them to think you mean the real iron kind). If a local store does not have CorningWare, this is also available for purchase from many on-line sites in the EU.

P.S. Your status as a "new member" is based on the number of forum comments you make, not how long ago you registered here.  ;)

Not as popular anymore as it was 20 years ago, but still fairly prevalent is the "romai tal" or "pataki tal", just google it. It's an unglazed ceramic oven pot with an elongated shape to fit a whole chicken and some potatoes around it.
It's not the same thing of course, and it takes some skill to use well, but it's easy to come by and cheap enough to give it a try to help you pass the 12 years of looking for the real thing.

Doubles as a flowerpot when you eventually splash it with cold water while it's hot and it cracks :-)