TEFL Courses

Does anyone know about the variety of companies that offer TEFL courses and the differences between them?  I trawled the internet, spoke to a couple of companies offering the course and settled with i to i.  After applying for a couple of jobs I was called by one TEFL company I turned town, i.e.LoveTEFL] and they said they were the recruiters for that position and they couldn't entertain me as i to i was blacklisted in Saudi Arabia!!  :(   I called i to i who denied it.... and realistically how could they be? just wondering if anyone else has come across this before?

There are loads of TEFL courses about, many being totally useless.
The big bucks seem to be available in the middle east, notably Saudi, but the jobs there seem to require a degree, a TEFL certificate and a lot of experience.
Most of the stuff I've read places a lot of weight on the latter.
It's unlikely you're blacklisted from anywhere (assuming you have no criminal record and aren't noted for political/religious opinions the Saudis would take offence to), more you aren't qualified for the available jobs.
Of course, that's the result of a brief trawl of testimonials and jobs advertised on the net, not my experience, so I could be in error.

Hi Mas

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have the degree and a small amt of teaching practice and definitely not personally blacklisted! I took the TEFL to complete the list.  What LoveTEFL were saying is that i to i itself were blacklisted and nobody would hire me because I did the course through them regardless of my other qualifications  :(

I haven't heard this anywhere else for this particular company but I believe there are some dreadful TEFL courses available so maybe they do blacklist certain companies?

Every English teacher I've ever talked to has said that TEFL certificates are a complete waste of time.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Every English teacher I've ever talked to has said that TEFL certificates are a complete waste of time.

Really? Since that post I've spoken to several teachers who are teaching having taken the TEFL course! I also have 2 interviews arranged for next week. Majority of job offers request you have 140 hrs TEFL along with your degree and experience (but not all need experience), so I wouldn't imagine it's a complete waste of time. If you're going to be so blunt,  perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by 'it's a complete waste of time'.

I've looked at many ads for TEFL jobs, and all ask for applicants who have completed a longer course, but some are happy with short weekend courses.
They tend to pay a lot less.
HIHK may be referring to the short courses.

I am a TEFL teacher working in Spain for over a year now, before teaching I was a journalist, I have no degree either... I did 140 hrs TEFL and had started my job within three months... Its important to make sure your TEFL course is accredited and recognised . I did mine via TEFL UK .ORG... some areas wont accept online courses... but lots do...

I might move to Doha for 2 yeRs contract.  So which English course do u guys think is best recognized in Middle East?  I have the access to TEFL online with a American certification .  Is this would be sufficient to apply for teaching jobs in Middle East? I do intend to take a 120 hrs course on line.

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR